RTW on a thumper... Round the World ADVenturization

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Jul 18, 2012.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    the border wasn't a good place to be until we got everyone on our side then it was great...:clap:clap

Ryan was easy over 50kph, luckily for him no speed camera there as nowadays they are everywhere in Colombia, not only do they get your speed, they take a video to prove its your speed...:deal

yes the mountain road is just cut in, you can see the road sign on the very corner, the picture that follows that one is the same corner zoomed in
  2. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    the perro was scared of its own shadow, nigrita was its name, clap your hands and she would run and hide!!!

i use photomatix for the HDR, i don't bracket photos, i shoot in Jpeg and make duplicates too keep the volume down that way i can pick and choose, then i adjust the EV ratings according to the effect i'm looking for
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    gotcha...forever more in the Ride Report it will be Colombia, guess my spelling "isn't smarter than a fifth grader" :deal
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    +1000
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    questionable roads are what it about...ADVENTURE

Ryan is on a Triumph Tiger 800xc, it orange so not sure if it has dreams of becoming a KTM though

The XT660Z tenere is a good size for SA, good mileage on the tank, reliable, like you say very similar idea to the KLR, with a bit more development in motor for sure and the frame, it is very beefy but that also makes one of the heaviest in the category which hurts it off road...besides that very happy with it, now at 73,000 miles and counting
  6. CarlosDBG

CarlosDBG n00b

Oddometer:
    This doubts came in right moment for me too! I'm thinking on buy a new bike and my choices are the XT660Z and the Triumph 800XC.

So, you are in a right position to clear me =D
    In what circustances you feel more limited compared to you partner on the 800XC?
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    he has more power, and more weight and the Triumph is smoother...for mainly street adventure riding 90% street his is better

mine is better for off road, better fuel economy, better ground clearence easier to work on

but for the type of riding i want to do later in my RTW (more off road in Australia, Russia, Mongolia, far east) neither are good, they are both too heavy
  8. CarlosDBG

CarlosDBG n00b

Oddometer:
    Right! That was mine thoughts too. I thinking bet now on the XT. Later if my needs are more road, maybe i upgrade for the 800.

Thanks Paul
    Keep riding as you doing, we aprecciate :thumb
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    out on the mountain roads heading for Villa De Leyva

[​IMG]

we rolled thru a little town that we were going to make a turn at to an even smaller town called Gambita but locals told us the road had been washed away! It was horse day in the town for some reason

[​IMG]

in the middle of nowhere we came across a speed roller blading oval...strange

[​IMG]

on the road of of the town

[​IMG]

taking the dirt road to Leyva

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Villa De Leyva is an old colonial town, a lot of pople come here from Bogata and the prices are high because of this, but as its national holidays the prices were up even more, first two hotels we asked for prices were $300 and $240 a night :eek1:huh

to much for two dirty bikers so we found a campsite in the middle of town for $9

[​IMG]

walking arond checking out the old town and some of the interesting stores with unique just waiting to go home to Bogata

they say a picture is worth a 1000 words...well here's 29,000 for you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    dave6253 likes this.
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
  11. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Latest Valley shots incredible! Good eye!
    BIKES
    Also to be considered ... how well will the Tiger 800XC survive a crash? I'm sure it's OK with a simple tip over, but something more serious I'd pick the Tenere 660. I'm amazed how well my humble DR650 handles a tumble. Literally NO damage in most simple crashes. No plastic panels to break, no radiators, water hoses or water pump housings to break off. Not bad.

I also agree regards riding more technical routes and weight. Lighter is better. I've struggled through mud in Thailand and Cambodia ... and was glad I was on a 125cc Rental bike! My DR650 is lighter than your Tenere ... but still too heavy in those tough conditions.

Can't wait to see how you and your bike will do in Bolivian and Peruvian interior areas ... and also out on the Salar. I'm betting you'll do just fine.

Ride safe, Eyes UP .. Rubber side down!
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    i did all that last year, its on my other ride report, from Colombia i head north and back on the Stahlratte to Cuba, then back into Mexico, then the US and the next destination is New Zealand
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    just got an email from Paypal letting me know a few readers/ riders donated to my gas/ beer/ rtw fund

may thanks to the following for there very generous donations

D Grossman - aka smithee
    C Houston -
    G Jones -
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    sometimes its not about the ride, some things are so close by you have to take time out and go see what others are talking about, it was time to play tourist for a day...a short ride out of Villa de Leyva, just over 1 km heading south, look to the right...we looked here as directed

[​IMG]

we couldn't see it so doubled back and with new 'better' direction found the road, a small dirt road off to the right but the house wasn't visible until a few hundred meters from the turn then there it was

[​IMG]

the following is how it is described by the owner:

Whoever passes by Terracotta House inevitably attracted and intrigued by the unconventional form, colors and textures, as well as its volume and its built-up areas. With the work front, questions begin to arise in the head: what is this place? What does it do? Who does it belong? How will it feel to be inside or even live there?

Apart from being the world's largest ceramic, Terracotta House is a place located in Villa de Leyva (Boyacá, Colombia) where it combines architecture and design, as well as other arts and crafts, and that since its origin and concept, Colombian architect Octavio Mendoza Morales seeks to promote an alternative lifestyle and harmonious for both the individual and the community, and to the surrounding environment.

the pictures can do the talking on this one as any comments by me will be superfluous

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    a short ride to Zipaquira and more tourist time...now its lots of walking around the Salt Cathedral

[​IMG]

it is difficult to describe the size and scope of this place, all i will say is it a must see if you come to Colombia... so here's what Wiki say about it

The Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá (Spanish: Catedral de Sal de Zipaquirá) is an underground Roman Catholic church built within the tunnels of a salt mine 200 meters underground in a Halite mountain near the town of Zipaquirá, in Cundinamarca, Colombia. It is a very popular tourist destination and place of pilgrimage in the country. The name "Salt Cathedral" is mostly to attract tourists - while a functioning church that receives as many as 3,000 visitors on Sundays, it has no bishop and therefore no official status as a cathedral in Catholicism.
    The temple at the bottom has three sections, representing the birth, life, and death of Jesus. The icons, ornaments and architectural details are hand carved in the halite rock. Some marble sculptures are included.
    The Salt Cathedral is considered one of the most notable achievements of Colombian architecture. Also it has been denominated as "Jewel of Modern Architecture". The cathedral represents for the Colombian people a valuable cultural, environmental and religious patrimony.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

these tunnels are about 100 meters deep
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are getting to see some unique places and you are photographing them well.
  17. alison's wanderland

alison's wanderland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am envying your time right now... (oh, and your picture taking skills :choppa)
  18. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    excellent pics.... some really wild art in colombia.....
  19. LethPhaos

LethPhaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The house, is it sun-baked clay? Or how was it done?
  20. nivag

nivag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That Salt Cathedral is amazing, I remember when I went there about 10 years ago. I was impressed by the size of it and as you say it's difficult to describe it to people!
    I miss Colombia :(

Loving your RR and photos, thanks :D