South African ADVrider.com members

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Gruebane, Mar 7, 2005.

1. fatdewey

fatdewey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Ya all! I have been a lurker on ADV for some time now but not much of a poster although I love the site. As some of you may or may not know Utah is famous for a couple of things, world class skiing and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ( the Mormons). To make a long story short my son will be leaving in October to serve a mission for the Mormon church in the Johannesburg South Africa Mission. I think it is a great honor for him to be serving in your great country. One of the things I love about this site are the myriad of pictures, stories and friendly members. I guess what I was hoping for was some suggested ride reports from the area so I can get to know the area a little (concerned Dad ya know). Additionally, He is trying to find as much information as possible over the next couple months and since both of us like getting out on dual sports I think it would be fun to share these with him. Any suggestions and input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Try Wilddog.forum
  3. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    When your son due to come here?

And give me a heads up i would be happy to show him around a bit ....
  4. fatdewey

fatdewey n00b

Oddometer:

He is due to be there October 13 and will be in The churches training center for a few weeks and then gets asigned to a Companion that has been in the country for a while. As we get closer ill let you know. Thats the one thing i truly like about the ADV folks, always looking out for each other. Thanks a bunch.
  5. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    No sweat ..I would be happy to show him around johannesburg and surrounds. Got a spare room too if he can handle the noise from my lil 3 year old :D ..

nice time of the year ... just getting into our summer ....

cheers
  6. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    We getting close to the time eh ...let me know ...

cheers
  7. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Hi Grue, all quiet around here I see:1drink
  8. fatdewey

fatdewey n00b

Oddometer:
    I haven't been on the site for awhile. Sorry about the slow response. Once he gets through his Missionary training and gets his first assigned area Ill let you know where he's at. He will be serving in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Johannesburg</st1:City> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Botswana</st1:place></st1:country-region> among about 100 other missionaries. I'm sure you have seen them out and about...They probably have even knocked on your door a time or two... At any rate as time gets closer and as I have studied your beautiful country it makes me wish I could come along with him. But this is his experience and part of the reward is to learn life’s lessons with out the parents around. I sure am grateful for your cordial nature. Thanks a bunch!
  9. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    So who is off to the Annual Wild Dog bash next week, it looks like I have a pass to go, 1300 KM each way to go swimming in the Orange river:D
  10. BlingKing

BlingKing Errant Social Misfit

Oddometer:
    No can do - did the Eco Challenge and I am racing this weekend - so gotta get race mileage before our final meeting at RSR on the 23rd - ride safe!
  11. Tonteldoos

Tonteldoos n00b

Oddometer:
    Never saw you swimmin in da river...:freaky
  12. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Maybe you were napping, it was post rugby, those bouys/ windsurfer floats were further out than you think and the current strong:D The boat ran out of petrol about the same time:D
  13. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Merry Xmas all may Krampus come knocking on your door with evil toys:D:D
  14. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any other XR's out here?

[​IMG]
  15. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Should be some dogs around soon with their forum migrating:D
  16. Trailrider ZA

Trailrider ZA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's no lie.:rofl
  17. infra80

infra80 pothole hunter

Oddometer:
    So, will be in Durban from 10th of April till December for my Masters Thesis.......:deal

..just wanted to say hi and maybe I'll be able to meet some of you ZA advriders
    :freaky

greeting from icy Saxonia
  18. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you visit Cape Town
  19. Captain Crash

Captain Crash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

It will be quite a climate adjustment, coming here from the big freeze although you should have missed the worst of summer by then. Give me a shout when you are in town I would be happy to show you around. Also like mentioned before check out the Wild Dogs site plenty other Durban riders there.

Hope u have a good time here.
  20. Rocket_Rookie

Rocket_Rookie Learning the ropes!

Oddometer:
    Guys...

I just bought my second motorcycle, and haven't registered it on my name yet.

Two years ago the bike was registered but then the previous owner let it expire, so after I have put the bike on my name, I need to take it for RWC before I can register it on the road again.

The bike has working lights and indicators, no oil leaks and the brakes are just fine. But the problem is, I have a bad feeling the muffler is too loud. I can put a baffle in for R350 but that is time and money wasted that I could have spent on other things. I believe the loud exhaust is a fine safety feature too.

So I need to know if some of you guys know a place in Pretoria where I can have the roadworthy done, but where they would be lenient, tolerant and merciful on my XR noises... Thanks a lot.