the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I've got these on my 1400GTR roadie and they are very good in that environment. IMHO though, too fat and not enough grip for adv/enduro.

Steve
  2. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    Aquanet is the recommended fuel for potato guns, also. :shoot

Lucky for me, with my hairstyle, I don't need "hair products" and NEVER worry about "helmet hair." :rofl

Lex
  3. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    62F and not a cloud in the sky here in San Jose, CA today; being an idiot, I rode the DR to Sky Londa, on the crest of the local Santa Cruz Mountains, where the temps were 20F colder. I gave thanks to the defunct Widder company for the electric vest.

Lex
  4. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    After hearing all the hype about Gorilla Glue I finally bought a bottle and was shocked at how much it expanded - like wall insulation. Threw away the bottle, couldn't see a use for it.

Lex
  5. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    :huh
    Hard to believe you couldn't find any use for it considering how much they sell and how many people swear by it for so many different uses.

How much of that stuff did you use? I've had no issues with thickness/expansion, lumps, etc. And for as often as I'll be swapping grips I prefer knowing they aren't going to move. Tried the hair spray a couple times and it just didn't grip. YMMV, of course. :D
  6. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    So elecric gear works ok with the DR?
  7. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Depends on how much you're trying to run. Best to have a voltmeter if you do. Gerbing jacket (77w) and gloves (27w) are more than it can handle in stock configuration. I run them both, with a voltmeter, and keep the jacket turned down to where I'm not draining the battery. I believe there's only about 60 extra watts to use, others may know more for sure, but that seems about right.
  8. carcajou

carcajou Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for their input. I love my DR. My BMW R1150R just sits in the garage languishing. I think she is for sale. Happy Holidays. Just after Christmas I am riding to the little known canyons in Southeastern Colorado. I will put a ride report in Day Trippn' Carcajou
  9. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my mileage sometimes varies all over the place, I just recall the glue foaming around and out of whatever joint I had in mind to glue, and it was a light brown, open cell foaming kind of look as I recall. I think I had to add a little moisture to the mix? Maybe I shouldn't have? I did just now look for that bottle, in case I didn't throw it away, couldn't find it.

Lex
  10. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I wondered about that when I first bought the bike but after a few good trail rides, I never saw any issues with the size and/or grip. True, they're a tiny bit fatter than MX grips but with my arthritis they feel nice. And with decent gloves, no grip issues either.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
  11. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had great luck over the years with golf club tape. Put it on the bar, saturate it with the solvent, slide the grip on. It ain't going no where and it's totally waterproof.
  12. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Greg,
    Definitely on the right track. If you increase your fork spring rate however, go with emulators rather than intiminators. The guys at Procycle will fill you in as to why.
    Also, try like hell to find the GSXR1000 muffler can. They work very well, aren't too loud, and you won't have to deal with repacking as you do with the FMF or other aftermarket cans.

Plus, read up on jetting when you do the carb mods. Most rejet systems such as a Dyno Jet starts you out so fat the bike will hardly run, and once your carb is set up right with these mods you will have lots more power but still retain your 50+ mpg.

Steve
  13. drsmiley

drsmiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also check on the Twin Air Filter over the K&N, Definitely try to find you a 01-02 GSXR !000 muffler over the ones you listed.
  14. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    suspension sounds ok. tho i went w/a usd front suspension from a suzuki rm-series bike w/race tech springs. i saw no need to add the intiminators or emulators, as my bike is 'tarded and almost 100% street use, and i figured the usd forks w/race-tech springs was sufficient. if/when i sell my stock front end, the cost may even be less than a complete stock rebuild, but completely re-doing the front forks would be fine, me-thinks. (tho i would go w/a fork brace if keeping the stock forks.) i have yust received a used shock that was rebuilt w/racetech emulators and an eibach spring - pretty-much exactly what your shock solution kit is; i am expecting similar positive results...

for me, a riser kit is a no-go - i don't ride standing on the pegs, and i prefer a lower hand position.

as far as power mods go, i would recommend a completely new carb, instead of the jet kit for the stocker. everything i have read says that, while a re-jetting of the stock carb is nice, a new carb is worlds better. if you are patient, you can do it w/o breaking the bank. i found a used keihin fcr39 carb, already set up for the dr650, including merge racing spring, for <$150 on fleabay. (other folks have gotten similar results w/the mikuni tm40m carb upgrade; i am not saying the fcr39 is better than the tm40 - i honestly don't know if one is better than the other.) and, for exhaust, i would recommend hi-flow fmf powerbomb header, kientech hi-flow midpipe, and a gsxr1000-style muffler. i say "gsxr-style" because, while unsuccessfully looking for the correct 40f0 muffler, i stumbled across a great deal on a tsukigi upgrade gsxr muffler, so i went w/that instead, on my bike. this (and the suzuki stockers) are not too loud and never need repacking. so, i'd definitely recommend going the gsxr-style muffler. and the total package makes the bike perform really well. :clap

and is that a stock seat i see on your bike? and you do long rides? wow - 15 minutes was enough for me on the stock seat! :lol3 i'd definitely recommend a seat upgrade. the procycle saddleman diy kits look great, and i woulda done that if i didn't happen to stumble across a good deal on a local used corbin...

doug s.
  15. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    That is about right. With only 200 watts total to run the whole bike ... the little DR is not exactly a dynamo of surplus elec. power. :D Even with my HID headlight ... if it's really cold I switch off my headlight so the Gerbing gets enough to Eat and keeps me alive. It's performance is better when it's getting enough power.

To save the battery I generally try to turn down the Gerbing jacket as mentioned above. At about 70% all is well and grips can be on high, battery will not go dead ... unless everything is run at 100%. With HID (35 watts) it does not go dead at all ... at least not yet.

So the Voltage has to be minded. I don't have a volt meter ... but I should.
  16. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    also - if you go w/an hid head light kit, you pick up 20w when the lo-beam is on, 25w when the hi-beam is on (the standard hid hi-lo kit is 35w.) besides, you can actually see in the dark w/the hid head lights! :clap

doug s.
  17. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    The quickest, cheapest and easiest way to get "a bit more power" ... is to go back to stock gearing. 15T front sprocket.

The DR650 ... if set up correctly with fresh chain, sprockets and fresh cush rubbers ... is nice and smooth at 80 mph. And the motor is not straining to hold that speed. Just let her run ... she can take it.

If you do a lot of tight, twisty back road riding ... then I'd go even lower and put a 14T front sprocket on. This peps up acceleration .... gives a bit more snap going through the gears. The DR will never be fast.

If you want fast ... Get a KTM 690 Duke or a Husky 630 SM. Now THAT is fast.

I'm sure you'll get a hundred ideas on this. If you want to go with another carb ... not a bad idea. I would go Keihin FCR Carb. If you can find one and get all the important things to get it set up right ... not Always that easy. But for long highway rides ... you probably won't notice much difference from stock.

Forks
    50 may be a bit too stiff? Depends on your weight and riding style. I'd use Race Tech emulators and drill the rods per their advice. 7 wt. oil.

Jet Kit ... good idea .. unless you opt for new Carb. $$$$

Shock ... also consider Cogent Dynamics. A pro but not cheap. Worth it imho ... but only if you plan aggressive street sport riding or aggressive off road riding. Other wise ... just leave it alone ... or maybe buy a stiffer spring if you're over 250 lbs.

FMF Q4 ? Not bad, but the Police will hear you coming in town. I prefer the GSXR muffler. Quality Titanium pipe, bit quieter, no re-packing and just a couple lbs. heavier than FMF. Will last forever.

If you do long rides or ride at night/early AM
    1. Seat ... a must do
    2. Better headlight (HID works good)
    3. Buy elec. gear
  18. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    If you're going for Intiminators and are mainly riding road and not loading up with heaps of gear, I'd stay with the stock springs and preload spacer.
    Rear 7.6kg spring and 10w oil. The shock solution kit is nice but more use if you're doing lots of off road.
    Foot peg lowering kit to make it feel less cramped and for easier seated to standing transitions and then if you feel it needs it, a bar riser kit later.
    Procycle or DynoJet kit.
  19. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has there been any news or updates regarding the new IMS or Acerbis tank that was posted a few weeks back?
  20. Thumper Dan

Thumper Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Noob question! I have my new dr650 and want to inspect the header pipe to see if there is any factory weld that needs removing etc. Do I have to purchase another exhaust gasket. or can I use the current one in there??

thanks heaps (yes, i did search and search and even the manual)

:1drink