The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heh, when i ordered the VP45 tankbag system, they sent me instructions auf Deutch on a sheet with tiny, low quality, black and white photos of how to mount it. After my own translation skills failed, i asked the PHD candidate from Leipzig in my lab to tell me what they were trying to say and he just kept saying 'what the hell is that supposed to mean' to all the words the TT engineers were throwing in there. I ended up figuring no big deal, i can figure out a bunch of stupid straps, and mounted them in such a way that they shifted during the first ride to where they were touching the header and melted. After i saw how the got ruined, it was easy to see how to route them to avoid it (not on the instruction sheet, just in my head). TT does not quite get near BMW as far as delivering the full package...
  2. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone remember exactly where in this thread someone made a post about mounting those generic LED turn signals from ebay on the front of their Dakar? The forum search software seems totally non functional and my google-fu has not been refined enough...
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Some discussion regarding LED relays and stuff back in May. Some rewiring of the dash globes required with diodes to make it all work if fitting LED's to all corners.

<TABLE class=dg-post id=post18713332 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
    <!-- #dg-post-header-date -->#8188
    <!-- #dg-post-header-count -->

<!-- #dg-post-header -->

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class="dg-post-user dg-align-center smallfont" width=175>[​IMG] ferals5<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_18713332", true); </SCRIPT>
    <!-- #dg-post-user-name -->F5eral
    <!-- #dg-post-user-title -->Joined: Jan 2011
    Oddometer: 485

<!-- #dg-post-user-info -->

</TD><!-- #dg-post-user --><TD class=dg-post-content id=td_post_18713332><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="dg-bbcode dg-bbcode-quote">Originally Posted by manybike [​IMG]
    Those two a pretty small...maybe one of them is. I have been on 650.com (chain gang) and not one photo or diagram matches what mine looks like. Did they change the signal flasher in 2007?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    They are only the size of a normal relay, can't imagine they changed from the single spark. The LED flasher will run either LED's or globes. Be gentle when you pull it up as there's not alot of extra wire on them.

[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  4. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    See if this helps too. I did this and have the flasher above, LED bulb in my dash and LED signals at all for corners. All work as they are supposed to thanks to help from LoJack. :freaky

Re: led signals
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757; COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hey Matto,

So the correct side turns on, but does not flash? I figured mine out a couple months ago, so I gotta remember how it went. I think the new flasher (part# G215-EB from Superbright) unit fixed the lack of flashing. But I was just getting all or three of the flashers turning on (and no dash bulb lighting up), and the added diode fixed that.

I took two wires and soldered them to one end of the IN4001 diode (they are one way, so make sure it's the receiving end) and one wire out, making a "Y". I put connectors on everything so I could remove it if ever needed. With the wiring diagram I figured out which wires were going to the dash light, and hooked it up to them. The wire going away from the light I grounded to the frame. It all worked after that. I'm not sure, but it could be the problem. The fact that your dash bulb isn't working makes me think so.

LoJack
  5. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Matto, thanks for putting that up. I forgot about it. I hope it helps D. Coyote.
  7. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Pay it forward, right? Cheers.
  8. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:

I took a look at this random idea of mine today and so far, I've found a Front sprocket with the right measurements. Not for a 525 chain, but for a 530. It's actually used for Bombardier DS650 Quads, which also use the Rotax 650 engine, it's available with 15, 16 or 17 teeth.

Now it's just up to finding a suitable rear sprocket...if anyone happens to know about a 530 sprocket with 136 mm inner diameter (and optionally 160 mm Bolt circle diameter) that is available with 49 teeth, lmk :)
  9. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The place you may find the info you are looking for is metalgear.com.au, they tend to put tech details online
  10. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, my dash spontaneously started working again, but now my turn signal switch is acting up. Left works fine, right does not. If you hit the right signal, it wont come on until you beat on it. Somethings sticking. Anyone know where i could find the details on putting push button switches in? I recall reading of someone who did that juat dont remember where.
  11. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    So a guy in one of the linked to threads at f650.com says he added the diodes but stayed with the stock relay on his 2007. Is a new relay needed, or just for the single sparks, or what?
  12. coletrain

coletrain All aboard!

Oddometer:
    I was just about to give you my thread on F650.com....then I went over there and saw you found it. i posted some moreinfo for you there.
  13. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    New relay is needed on single spark & it has been needed on the dual spark's I am aware of but it would not surprise me if BMW upgraded the dual spark part during production to an LED compatible unit. At the cost of $10 or so a new relay is not a big expense
  14. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have anyone successfully install an aftermarket kickstand ?
    Trailtech, msr or such without much hassle drilling or excessive welding.
    I have extended my sidestand but it can only go so much before it will touch the rear tyre.
    Even the hockey puck trick will still cause the bike to lean so much.
    Appreciate your inputs and write ups and pics.
    Thanks.
  15. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    :lol3 There were instructions with the VP45 ? :clap:rofl
    Wow:eek1

Ohh and btw, all their instructions are like that. Think I had a blast installing the IMO computer, LED light strip and rally/ roadbook dash ? Hahaha
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Really no idea, but I 'd think it'd be easier with LEDs all round, instead of LEDs just at the front
  17. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    I am beyond ignorant of these bikes but wanted to ask you smartguys: was there a Police version of the Dakar and if so, what years? I thought I saw one a few days ago but, since I'm ignorant, how would I know? :D
  18. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a police version of the GS but I dont know about a Dakar version, the spares system shows many of the parts. The single seat is from the Police GS and you see them on the news from time to time in motorcades
  19. coletrain

coletrain All aboard!

Oddometer:
    I do- PM me your offer.
  20. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I've only seen the regular GS.
    Far as I know they were used in Holland and Italy at least.
    I've often wanted to try to order the pieces just to see if the dealer would be able to sell them without any restrictions :lol3