What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MarGyver

MarGyver Ruteros De Chiapas

Oddometer:
    I just installed a double bottle holder for extra gas and an other for water from Touratech in my Jesses, one cheap top case (just 40 dlls) too, decorated with some touratech and Max BMW stickers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    So, I decided to get off my ass and start working on the WR250R. There are a few things that should be arriving next week: rad guard, skidplate, new turn signals and taillight, and a tank bag. These are things that I cannot make or the cost of making them would make it more expensive than purchasing them. But, since I like to make stuff, I decided to make my own tail rack.

I started with a clean tail and a piece of scrap, 1/4" aluminum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First order of business was to remove the tail and secure wiring away, then drill four 5/8" holes through the fender. Yamaha conveniently mark the hole locations on the plastic fender.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With the holes done, I made a cardboard template, roughly the size of the final product. I then cut the aluminum to shape, and started working on the final design.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Next, I decided to make some holes for loops to use when securing cargo to the rack. I marked the holes, drilled them, and cut the rest with a saw. Cleaning these up was a real pain (with a file and sandpaper), but I needed to make sure there was a nice, smooth bevel so the straps wouldn't get cut.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The four holes in the plate are not the mounting points. They will be used to either attach something to the rack (like a Rotopax) or just enlarged to get rid of some weight. I had to drill four additional holes in the rear that are used for mounting. Now I'm just waiting for some tapered stainless steel bolts to attach it. For the time being, the plate was attached with plain hex head bolt to ensure proper fit.
    [​IMG]
    The rack rests on 5/8" aluminum spacers that raise it above the fender by about a 3/4 of an inch.
    Clayarrow likes this.
  3. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:
    I've been restoring an old snapon tool box.
    Before
    [​IMG]

Work in progress:[​IMG]

Just painted the last 2 drawers today, should have it back together tomorrow.
  4. CaptTeach

CaptTeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got on top of the office and chased down the leaks that are keeping me from being able to finish out the sheetrock and therefore my office - Now just need to wait on the weather to break so I can fix them!!
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Fess up, you drilled the first four holes in the wrong place!:lol3

Looks good!:deal

Jim :brow
  6. cotrailrdr

cotrailrdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Walked into the garage. Looked at the thermometer which read -2 degrees. Went back in house. :vardy
    Mario Bels likes this.
  7. WhiteShark

WhiteShark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where did u get that top case? Been looking around and don't really like what I'm seeing,looks good with the jesse's. wich is what I have.:ear
  8. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Washed the bike OUTSIDE the garage, then rolled it in...

Pulled the bodywork off my F800GS.
    And that's where it began.
    Flushed brake system
    changed oil/filter
    R&R's spark plugs
    New air filter.
    Flushed radiator/new coolant.
    Cleaned all of the air box, intake, usually hidden plastics. LOTS of dust in there.
    Buttoned everything back up, installed bodywork and admired my job.

What i didn't do, was put the new fork springs and go with the heavier fork oil. Was going to do that TODAY, but it's where if finished off the coolant swap.

Forks can wait for another day. But one very soon.
  9. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    Actually, you are somewhat right. I first drilled the four holes. Then I thought long and hard about how to design this thing. Then I decided to make a template out of cardboard, which I did. Once I put the template over the ONLY piece of 1/4" aluminum I had, I needed to either put the mounting holes elsewhere or shorten the rack. I decided to keep the rack the size I designed it, so the holes became obsolete.

Hey, if I don't count my time, it was a free rack. Really, it was just an excuse to get away from the family for a bit :lol3 and have some alone time.
  10. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    It appears to be an Emgo. Google around and you'll find it.

No idea where/how he got it for $40, but maybe he got it used or someone had a screaming sale.
  11. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Nothing.
  12. MarGyver

MarGyver Ruteros De Chiapas

Oddometer:
    I know, I found it in a Mexican web sales page, http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...a-desmontable-para-motocicletas-universal-_JM
    less than 40 US Dlls and I really like it, is Alessia brand and it does have the same shape on top and base than Jesse's. and fits one helmet in it.
  13. Vankaye

Vankaye n00b on the move

Oddometer:
    i have added two more bikes to the stable. My wife's (new to her) XT225 has been up on the lift getting an oil change,
    filter clean and new chain and sprockets. As well as a througough torque check on all the important parts. :norton

My (new to me) DR350 is next. I need have a look at the clutch to see the condition of the plates, basket and throw0ut washer. Also want to clean the carb (who knows when it was done last - if ever) and I have a set of rear and front wheel bearings on the way along with a new Tusk Bearing Puller Kit! :clap (I really needed that. I've been bringing parts to my local shop and paying them to pull bearings for me. Finally pulled the trigger of a kit for myself!)
  14. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone is getting ready for another big ride.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Installed the wiring for my two sets of lights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New chain, sprockets, painting panels, need to loctite 648 my flywheel (used wrong stuff).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Put an Odyssey PC625 in a 2011 BMW GS Adventure. Changed out the brake rotor flange on a BMW R1200ST.

Busy day.

18. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed my happy trail panniers and rack. I still have to figure out were I want to install my tooltube....
  19. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    2 1/2 days and $450 in the pit, still needs some work..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Organized it a bit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also removed the top latching mechanism on my HF 5-Drawer Cart so I can open the drawers with the top closed.

KiloGraham likes this.