XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Split Sole

Oddometer:
    Ugly but strong is my standard way of doing things. :lol3 At least this will give me an idea of where to start.
  2. enzorover

enzorover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey man (or woman :wink: ) bid away! I appreciate your consideration though...
  3. QuickMule

QuickMule Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since the plug shows rich, this is probably not it, but I had similar symptoms on a bike once that was driving me crazy because I was sure it was either a carb problem or an ignition problem. The bike would run fine until I would open it up full throttle, where occasionally (not always) it would start to miss, sputter, and die. Turned out that the oxygenated gas they make us use here in the winter (and all year 'round in Cali I think) was dissolving the inside of my gas line, and a big flap 'o rubber was stuck against a hose nipple in such a way that a high volume flow would pull it out to block the fuel flow, where it would stay blocked after the engine quit until the fuel drained out of the line and the flap once again stuck to the side of the line out of the way.
  4. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    Man. :deal nah I wouldnt bid against another poster here, its a moral thing.
  5. Medicine Creek

Medicine Creek 127.0.0.1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    alright, let the shit fly about my crap welding and heavy ass iron addition.

frame all pretty and unmolested.

[​IMG]

side rack thing that holds the soft bags off the exhaust.
    [​IMG]

subframe boxed with 3/4 x 1/8 inch angle iron. brace to transfer load to the lower leg above battery box. far side has large 1/8 inch plate to transfer wieght to the lower leg on that side.

[​IMG]

plate on right side with square tube that the rack mounts to.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

block to lift the front of the corbin up. without doing this i could not have run the angle on top of the subframe. it also makes the seat sit leveler. no sliding forward.
    [​IMG]

mondo rack. kinda high, built to allow access to the factory tool bag. not sure i like it that high, but i can reach underneath it and get in the tool bag even when i have my top box mounted on the rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

obvioulsy a lot of finish work needs done. as you can see i have absolutely no eye for detail. :D
    merc16 likes this.
  6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Split Sole

Oddometer:
    Looks good to me, but how much weight did you add? Thanks for taking the time to share the pics and ideas. :thumb
  7. Medicine Creek

Oddometer:
    the metal added to the subframe is about equal to the weight difference between the factory exhaust and the ids2. so that's a wash. the only real weight gain is the rack.

now if it would warm up i could ride it once and post pics of me fixing the cracked frame. :lol3
  8. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Hi Ya'll,
    Santa brought me a new 06 XR650L for xmas this last year. It's still bone stock, but am gona do something to it sooner or later. I'd been riding an XL600 for the last 7 years, but kicking it made it no fun to ride anymore. (I'm over 50 & too many years of kickin bikes, has made the knees unhappy). I love that 'lectic starter button!!!!!
    I'm posting to find out about the rack thats on some of the pix in this thread. They seem to be on XR's. Do the aluminum/stainless looking ones fit on the XRL also? I took it riding in Death Valley last weekend, and a rack would've been nice to carry the extra gas can. Strapping it to the seat or tool bag didn't work too well...
    Thanks for any help.
    sen zapatos
  9. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try these guys:

http://www.happy-trail.com/category.aspx?categoryid=12&openid=12

It looks like they have some cool stuff.
  10. Medicine Creek

Oddometer:
  11. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Factory effex makes the graphics

The bike may look a little weird...

I wanted more modern 2 tone seat so I just bought an OEM XR650L seat. Fits right on. (with ceet hard seat foam)

I also run a setrab oil cooler on the front triple. Keeps the 628 nice and icey cold.

Bike runs like a champ, all day just chewing up the miles.
  12. enzorover

enzorover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know what sort of riding you're into but if you travel far from home you might want to look into one of these: http://www.cycleventure.com/fitments/display_picture.asp?fitment_id=34 . You've always got a decent sized rack above the tail light and when you take off the bag you've got a sissybar-like thing to which you could strap gas tanks or whatever you want.
  13. TREADMARKS

TREADMARKS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool looking xr ya got there rmhrc628.:wink:

I would like to see a shot of the mounted setrab cooler if ya have one handy.
  14. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see that too.I noticed it looks like its mounted on the front fender.
    I looked quickly online for a setrab and all I found so far was one for $110. The XR400 one can be bought for $85 and would be a cleaner install but the setrab would be larger.
  15. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Split Sole

Oddometer:
  16. mattmbishop

mattmbishop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Medicine Creek, looks like you've just been through a similar process as me. I've recently finished makin' a top rack and saddlebag racks myself.

Enzorover, we broke our Ventura racks. They don't cut the mustard for off-road riding. Mind you, they're not designed for what we we carrying ...

[​IMG]

My '98 XRL below, with mod's for upcoming Aussie trip. There's three of us on XRL's, more info here: www.yonder.orcon.net.nz/aussie2006.htm
  17. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. How many miles on it? What kind of tank is that. Sorry for all the questions, I just love a dirtly XRL.
  18. Medicine Creek

Oddometer:
    i dig the black on the side of the acerbis tank. that just a sticker? would like to see more pics of where your racks attach and such. nice bike!
  19. BCK_973

BCK_973 AGUANTE EL RIPIO CARAJO!

Oddometer:
    Goldrok likes this.
  20. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    Great site nice pics I love that xr650l and the xlv750s but,,,,
    Auch ein Grund für mich Ihm zu gedenken. War ich doch auf meinem ersten grossen Trip auf meiner XLV auch an seiner Grabstätte in Fairmount im State Indiana.:huh :huh Wassat German?
    I wish that site was in english It looks cool.