Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    80 minutes. South-blowing wind on my northbound leg :bluduh which stayed a southbound wind on my southbound leg. :clap
  2. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got out for a little while after work today. It is still cold on the bike and the trail has some snow and slush left. Still nice to get out this early in the year.
  3. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I took my son out onto the single track mtb trails yesterday. The poor kid crashed 6 times on the advanced loop. He kept losing the front and face planting in spectacular fashion.:loll The boy took it like a man, but I was glad to get out of there before any bones were broken after about 5 miles. He did pretty well considering he hasn't ridden the advanced loop and he's only 7.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tire pressures OK?

Everybody, whom I've ridden with, that continually lost the frontend had too high tire pressures.
  5. fullmonte

Oddometer:
    The front is a little low, but not dangerously so. The fork is stiff with virtually no travel for a rider who is 60 lbs. He needs to figure out that turning the bars with the front wheel off the ground is a bad idea.:D Also, his wet leaves avoidance skills need sharpening.:wink:
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, he's got plenty of time, to learn. You're fortunate in that he's wanting to be out there riding.
  7. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    HEY GUMMEE

Seen this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...uzzard-point/2012/02/23/gIQAAgJWWR_story.html

"Group plans cycling track at D.C.’s Buzzard Point
    Text Size PrintE-mailReprints
    By Jonathan O'Connell, Published: February 23

A new nonprofit organization plans to build a velodrome — or track cycling arena — on Buzzard Point in Southwest Washington that organizers say will host competitive races and offer free classes for adults and children beginning this summer.

The group, DC Velodrome, has leased a parking lot on V Street SW, just off South Capitol Street, and plans to erect a 166-meter-long, oval-shaped wooden track with 48-degree banked turns."
  8. soewe812

soewe812 Wag more Bark less

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if mid 90's Schwinn Paramount R30 mtn bikes are any good or worth having?
  9. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    a $700 (new in 1993) steel hard tail ? meh. forks from the 90s weren't very good compared with today's Fox Float and similar... looks like that bike has a load of Suntour XC 3x8 speed stuff, cantilever brakes, etc.

nothing special. its certainly not its namesake, the Schwinn Paramount road bikes of the 1970s were top line hand made-in-USA silver-brazed lugged cro-moly bikes which were comparable to Europe's best of the era.
  10. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Nuff said

M
  11. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    Is it a 93? It is actually a pretty cool bike. Not as high end as some from that era, but it is a lugged steel MTB. Parts for the Suntour stuff can be a little tricky to find, but with the help of ebay, not so bad.

This one? R30

Not really collectible, if that is what you are asking. Only buy if it is really cheap.
  12. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    indeed, it was the bottom end of that line-up, with the R50 and up using Deore components. probably be best as a hybrid city-bike, as it doesn't even have a suspension fork (except, I prefer 700c on my city-bike, rather than 26' slicks)
  13. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    I'm really, really, really, enjoying the new MTB. It absolutely smokes my old one in every respect.:clap
    I tried out a new section of trail on today's ride that was just opened late last week. There was still lots of straw on the trail that some corners interesting, but the fast, rolling decent at the end was worth the price of admission (a loose, steep-ass climb)!

Did I mention that I love my new mountain bike?

<IFRAME height=405 src="http://app.strava.com/runs/4555460/embed/8e00b37366908aed3fb2cd6133c5aa7215a37722" frameBorder=0 width=590 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>
  14. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Tour of Toms Creek today. We didn't get the earliest start.

Kitty ate a bad bird the other morning, so he is not feeling his best. Hang in there, buddy.

[​IMG]

Weather conditions today were nice. We did both loops on the east side of 221 counter clockwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The MST or McDowell trails people have been hard at work. They have buggered up a bunch of the creek crossings so a pedestrian can cross them with dry feet. They have also made the switchbacks more difficult by forcing you to go ALL the way to the end. They are getting a bit carried away, methinks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a triple pit bull encounter on Huskins Branch Road. Not so fun. Luckily the owners were pulling out in their car, so they got on the dogs. Phew!

[​IMG]

Hooray for Woodlawn! A very nice place to ride a bicycle. :clap
  15. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    Nice! I grew up in Newton. :norton
  16. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I just got in from an easy hour on the bike. The goal was to not break a sweat. Mostly accomplished that. I went a little hard in one spot, but not too bad. Legs feel better than they did before I started out. :nod

:ricky

M
  17. gearguywb

gearguywb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing how much better an easy ride will make you feel. I typically go hard (for me anyway) on the weekends and then do an easy 1 hour spin on Monday's.
  18. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:

Nedster, what did you get?
  19. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    Focus Black Forest 1.0. Hardtail Al 29er.

[​IMG]
  20. fullmonte

Oddometer:
    Went out for what an easy road ride, when at mile 4.5 I caught a nice tow from a dump truck pulling a mini excavator on a trailer. I stayed with him up to about 31mph and felt so good I hammered the rest of the ride. Result, 20 miles at 19.0mph avg.:clap 77 degrees definitely helped the feel good factor. Then later this afternoon, I took my son to the mtb trails for 30 minutes of single track before the ranger closed down the park. Nobody crashed this time.