Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    holy cow if that is just a smaller ligher version of the NC700X that thing will steer and corner like its glued to the road without having to look like your getting your prostate checked.
  2. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem, to me, is not that the CX500 is not a dirt bike, but the fact that most of the bikes that used to be somewhat off-road capable are getting more road biased with every generation. We've got to the point they are sharing platforms with street bikes...

Yes, it's cheaper for the manufacturers, increases margins, etc.

What happens to people that did want or need the off road capabilities? There are less options as the new bikes turn into tall road going bikes.
  3. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Dude.

This bike is primarily a Euro bike, where off-roading is limited, and running costs are high (and rising), and the new A2 licence means anyone under 24 has a maximum of 47bhp to play with.

Some of the aims of the new 500 (low ownership costs, plenty of OEM add-ons, low insurance) will appeal to riders outside the target market. Maybe in emerging markets like India and Brazil these 500s will be 'premium' purchases. Maybe in the USA these bikes will be a KLR-cheap-ass alternative.

But the CB500X is in no way, shape or form an off-roader.

Tbh, the lack of a global perspective on bike ownership is getting a bit fucking irritating.

The motto of this site is Ride the World. And the world, rides.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Problem is, a lot of the rest of the globe already gets several choices in motos besides 800lb barcaloungers, 100HP+ tupperbikes, 'dualsports" that can't comfortably/capably be used for dirt AND highway, or sub-600cc bikes that need to be revved to the moon to haul 2 with luggage if they don't weigh just as much as a 600cc+ bike...which they probably do anyway. Whatever happened to mfrs offering a capable noob bike that was versatile, comfortable, and didn't look like ass? Something a female noob could comfortably handle that would still handle a passenger, luggage, and the highway. These kinds of offerings are rare in our market now, but many other markets around the globe get them. We get the TU250X, some dualsports, and the Ninja 250/300, but many don't like thumpers or tupperbikes, and many of even the 250 dualsports are too tall for female noobs, especially the higher-powered ones that can actually run slab. My chunky DR650SE is actually lower. They even offer us sleeved-down 600s, instead of a bored/stroked 250 like they should have, so it gets the weight of a 600cc+ for a female noob to deal with. 'Real smart. We also get similar bikes to what other markets get, but it comes without the ABS everybody else gets offered, or it comes with drum brakes instead of the discs everybody else gets offered. WTF?! It seems like mfrs purposely try to put a fatal flaw into every sub-650cc bike they offer here, but they don't put it in many of the same models they offer elsewhere. Then they must figure "Well, it didn't sell well in the US. 'Must be because it was under 1000cc and 500lb.". No, dumbasses. It's because you couldn't offer it the same way everybody else got it, or you offered a model that definitely isn't suited for our roads. A TW200 or DR200 that can barely top 60MPH, instead of a street-legal BW350 or DR-Z250 with a bit more grunt or a 6spd tranny? Really? I'm no marketing genius, but I could have told you that they wouldn't be flying off the showroom floors over here. Look at the WRR now...A 6spd and enough power/smoothness to run slab a bit. It's a tad heavy, but I'm guessing that it's been selling better than the close-ratio DR-Z400S lately. DR650s seem harder to find around here for sale than the DR-Z too, and I don't think it's because the suspension and weight of the 650 is so much better or that it's newer and more-advanced tech.:lol3

If Yamaha shaved 20-30lb of weight, and 2-4" of seat height, off the WRR, while maintaining the same price and suspension travel, dealers wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. If they then offered a similar WR450R with around 45HP, without screwing it up with a close-ratio 4spd, a 6V electrical system, 10-mile valve checks, or some other stupid gimmick, many dualsport riders in this country would consider selling their children or kidneys or something similar...if only just for a split-second.
    enduro16 likes this.
  5. hawknup

hawknup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guess again. They're both parallel twins. The 700 is just cant over forward to near horizonal. The 700 has 270 degree timing (by twisting the crank) to aproximate 90 degree V twin firing order and exhaust note.
  6. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Just curious what is required for a bike to be considered "an off-roader?"

Seems these guys did pretty well on bikes far heavier and with far less suspension travel than the new 500x. Does that make them posers?http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723
  7. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Saw a thread sometime back where three Nighthawk's trekked across Outer Mongolia; I would call that an adventure.
  8. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, not posers, it makes them Adventure riders. Just like all of us in the 1960's and 1970's, when none of the bikes had specialized capabilities.

However, today, technology and the marketplace have changed our definitions. The Universal Japanese Motorcycle (UJM) sells less well - although the arguement can be made that recent years have seen a small come-back in "standard" motorcycles - in favor of more specialized bikes.

For me, any bike that is really designed for going off pavement, let alone off-road, needs 7" of ground clearance, 7.5" of suspension travel front and rear, and a neutral riding position, if for nothing more than my peace of mind.
    • The new "big" ADV bikes all qualify: R1200GS, S10, 9xx ADV, F800GS, Tiger 800XC, and Honda Africa Twin.
    • So to, do the KLR/KLX-650, DR-650/750/800, TE610/630, 625/640 ADV, 690E/R, F650GS Dakar/ Sertao, and the new TR650's.
    • The KTM-SMT and the Husky Nuda 900 also both qualify by my definition above, but seem to be used more "off-pavement" rather than "off-road". I need to learn more about their capabilities
    • The older KLE-500 twin, the Transalp v-twin & Honda NX-650 Dominator single may not quite meet my criteria above - but all seem to be capable off-pavement.
    For me, the Versys & CB500X are street bikes with "Adventure Styling" - to quote Honda from the CB500X marketing materials. They don't have enough GC or suspension travel for my comfort in an off-road environment, although they handle gravel and hard-packed dirt roads just fine.

Again, you can take almost any motorcycle "off road". Some just do it better than others. For common ground in our ongoing discussions, however, many try to make some of the distinctions that we're talking about here.
  9. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    It all depends on two things :-
    1, what bike you own.
    2, how easy you want to make it.

So, dealing with "1". If you really want to go somewhere, you'll do it on whatever you've got, like those guys.
    And "2", if you want it as easy as it gets you buy something like a CRF250F or WRF250F.
    For an off roader, the bigger the front wheel the better because it'll then roll over the lumps and bumps better. So any bike with a front less than 19" diameter cannot be considered as dirt capable.
    If you can only afford one bike and want it to do it all you have to compromise in one or more departments. IMO the best all round, do it all bike, with the least compromises, on the planet at the moment is the Triumph Tiger800XC. Good engine, good suspension, good ergonomics, good range, etc. etc.. The compromise is that it's on the heavy side compared to the CRF, WRF types if you want to do the mountain goat, single track trail rides.
  10. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    :scratch

I don't think anyone used the term 'posers'.

I would applaud anyone taking the 500X off-road, because it's not built or intended for it, by Honda's own admission.

But that's different from carping about it's lack of off-road utility. It's like complaining that your banana is curved, when what you really want is a straight one.
  11. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    For me, off road isn't likely going to be anything more than dirt roads. I no longer feel the need to challenge myself when I ride. So a CB500X, like most street bikes, would work just fine in that role.
    They are light, cheap, comfy, and I suspect will handle well enough on pavement.
    [​IMG]

They had them at the bike show this weekend. I liked it a lot

Unfortunatley, so did my teenage son, which would mean hiding the key.

[​IMG]It's on my short list for the spring for sure.
  12. dougwo

dougwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just when I decided to purchase the NC700X in the spring, Honda announced this bike. Now I have no idea which one to get. I'm now riding a Suzuki GS500F which by the way seems to have to same specs as the CB500 in terms of HP and torque. I have no complaint with the power of my bike for the most part, just wish there's a little bit more torque when riding 2up for a smoother take off. I'm just looking for a new bike, especially adventure/ adventure style bike due to the fact that they have a wide selection of hard cases and actually look cool with them on(I don't want ride something like a Goldwing just yet); and the more relax riding position for commuting and touring.
    Now with this new bike cost about $1000 less than the 700X, I could use that $1000 for side cases and some other accessories. Not to mention I can actually get ABS without opting for DCT.

By the way, I don't fantasize about riding off road. I don't have the extra cash for spare parts or a good health insurance if anything happens. So "off-road" capability doesnt really concern me.

What do you guys think? $1000 for that extra 13 NM of torque? or should I spend it on the accessories?
  13. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ If you think (and you are right) that more torque will help pull you and a pillion from a stop, then you answered your own question.
  14. Snizz

Snizz Motorcycle Fanatic

Oddometer:
    Mcjamie, how tall is your son? I am considering this bike, but worried about the size/riding position. As he sits, it looks great, just the right amount of forward lean, but im 6 ft 200lbs and worried i might dwarf it..

I think the cbr250 engine is a great piece of engineering, and understand that this engine shares technology from it, true? If so, shim replacements without removing the cams would be helpful, as would its stellar fuel economy. that seat looks fantastic and the factory luggage would be aboout perfect for my desired use..I cant wait to wang on this bike..
  15. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to http://cycle-ergo.com/ the 500x and 700x are real close in ergos. I haven't compared the overall dimensions. I'm 6' and around 230. I didn't fell like I was dwarfing the 700 although a skosh more legroom would be nice.
  16. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  17. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Budget Rider. I hear ya. Same here :deal
  18. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    At the moment he's just a hair under 5'10". If I stop feeding him, he shouldn't get much bigger. I am pretty much the same size, and fit quite comfortable on it, but I wouldn't mind if the seat was an inch or so higher. I know adding that extra inch to my DL made a huge difference.
  19. Snizz

Snizz Motorcycle Fanatic

Oddometer:

Thanks for the response, I had an 05 DL and made the same observation! I have been looking around for a northwest commuter and lightweight tourer, I've had a blast commuting a klx250s this last year, but some wind protection and a touch more comfort would be welcome. Sat on a nc700 a few weeks ago..wow what a low cog that bike has..however, I would rather cath myself with a bore brush than sit on that seat for an hour.. if it had a few extra rpm available it might interest me more..
  20. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    That's kind of funny, because since I got rid of the DL (huge mistake), I've been riding my 250 Sherpa. It does 80% of what I want, but short on power. The 500 would fit nicely between what the Sherpa is, and what the DL was.