Cagiva Navigator

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by rivers, Apr 5, 2006.

1. rivers

rivers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    The Navigator has never been imported to the USA. Our UK members will
    know more, maybe even find an owner or former owner out there. Of course they are sold in the EU as well.

On my last two EU trips I saw several. Even sat on a used Navi at a dealer
    near Oxford, even offered a test ride. I took their Varadero demo out instead.

BTW, its no smaller or lighter than a Vstrom. They've had some QA problems
    from what I've read. The Brit mags covered them when they first came out in about 2000, then they just dried up. Never seen a word more about them.

Cagiva also make a couple naked bikes, the Raptor and V Raptor. One with
    a SV650 motor, TL motor in the other. One of the first "cool" looking naked
    bikes that didn't sell. I believe they both may be discontinued at this point.

The Varadero is very poplar in France. I saw several nicely tricked out ones
    there in 2003. With the right mods, its not so bad.
  3. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the place to ask:

http://www.ferracci.com/contact.php

Ferracci is the american distributor for Cagiva even though no bikes are being imported now. I own a 99 Cagiva Gran Canyon, the same bike except with the 900 Ducati Desmo engine and I love it.
    I have heard that Suzuki doesn't want the competition in the U.S. for the Pod-Strom so they won't let it be imported, don't know for sure.
    Why not fire of an email and see what they say.......
  4. sTE610vE

Oddometer:
    Here's the Blue version........:evil
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I'm not mistaken it has a TL engine rather than a DL engine (different heads, compression ratio and fuel injection system IIRC) with cagiva specific cams and fuel injection mapping:deal
  6. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    It is a TL or TL-R motor. I'm not positive about the state of tune but what your saying sounds right Pilot. The TL-R F.I. was much improved over the original TL and many other problems were sorted by then as well, and of course they dumped that stupid Rotary damper. That move really cost Suzuki.

Never saw any long term tests on the Navigator either and after about a year the Brit mags stopped including it in Adventure bike Comparos. By the way
    they hyped the Raptors I expected great things. Turned out to be a non event.

Boy, I bet you could pick up a Navi cheap in France or the UK about now.

Any Euro guys see any for sale? How are they holding up? Bet they are pretty
    rare these days. :evil
  7. Bummer

Bummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Bummer

Bummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It dont seem work..

Go to:

www.mobile.de

Go to:

Motorräder

Choose:

Cagviga

Write:
    Navigator
    Were it says Modell..:deal
  9. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    I forget where, but I read a review of the bike in one or other of M/C rags online and it referred to it as a "de-tuned" TL motor, but had nothing but praise for it. in other words, de-tuned correctly for the purpose intended. the DL's are "de-tuned" also, vs. SV.....
  10. sTE610vE

Oddometer:
    At first I thought 40 for sale was bad, you know some problem with the bike then I searched for V-Strom and found 135 and 380 GS1150's so my first assumption was wrong.
    I would like to here from a owner in Europe too! :D
  11. sTE610vE

Oddometer:
    My Gran Canyon with the 904 Desmo Ducati in it is tuned for mid-range pull, it is a lot of fun, I can use mid range more than screamin top end hp anyday.:clap
  12. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear its much more show than go!
  13. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Just my 2 cents.

I´ve posted before that the NAVIGATOR is a great and fun bike, it has Italian styling and a trusty and powerfull Japanese engine, with anywhere between 87-115 bhp (it depends where you read it), The thing is that even the new BMW 1200 ST. or the 1200 GS, have trouble keeping up with my bike on any road, much so if some tight twisties are added. It handles like a big SM.

It weigths 210 Kg dry (about 430 lbs), it is a road bike with little off road capability (gravel and two lane fireroads), not enowgh clearance for serious trial riding, (there is a 21" front wheel kit and a stronger skid plate). And the plastic parts are exposed and fragile.

Mine has not had any mechanical issues, just some surging at low revs (learn to live with it!!).

Here is some recent info from TWO Online

Like Cagiva’s Raptor family, the Navigator’s motive power comes courtesy of Suzuki. In this case, a TL1000 motor provides the go, and plenty of it. With gearing limiting top speed to around 130mph– you don’t need more on a bike like this – there’s massive low down and mid-range drive to catapult you forward at the merest twitch of a throttle hand.

It’s an addictive rush, and the only downside is a thirst for fuel and limited range if ridden enthusiastically. Use the Navigator hard and you’ll empty the 20-litre tank in well under 100 miles. More gentle use returns a useful 140-plus mile range.

The biggest smile factor comes from the Navigator’s handling. Once used to the seat height, it can be thrown around with abandon and, on the right sort of roads – the sort you find endless mile-upon-mile of in the south of France – a well-ridden Navigator will show a clean pair of heels to far more sport-focussed machinery.

Braking is just about up to the job, and pushed to its limits if two-up and fully laden. The plush, long-travel front suspension doesn’t help – too much braking force is taken up compressing it before the serious business of slowing down can begin. Adding braided brake lines and firming up the front end a touch improves things though.

That aside, the only other complaint is levelled at build quality. While it looks the part when shiny and new, fixtures and fasteners corrode easily, bodywork is easily scratched and cracked, and the finish is below par when compared with the best Japan or Germany has to offer.

That said, it’s fast and, most importantly, a lot of fun, making it a serious alternative to the stodgier, less sprightly big trailie opposition from Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki.
  14. JoHS

JoHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    fixed. :1drink

JoHS
  15. sTE610vE

Oddometer:
    Yea I agree, it does make the pods look bad don't it?
    Too bad it has the same engine as the pod:cry
    Now the Ducati Desmo version has a soul, that's a different story! :amazon
  16. Lencho

Lencho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yah, that boring, good for nothing, souless V-Strom motor really sucks :super
    Why would Cagiva ever want to use that?!?!:eek1

OK, I got to go ride my souless, characterless, ugly V-Strom so that I can get the usual superb pleasure grin it always gives :yum
  17. nav18tor

nav18tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had my Cagiva Navigator for 2 years, p/xed it from an Aprilia Mille and I can only say that the Navigator is without doupt the most fum bike I have ever owned, sure, my Honda Blackbird was faater, and the Mille handles better (on smooth roads) but the Cagiva is well built, has been 100% reliable.

For normal(read fast) road riding, most sports bikes cannot keep up, the engine iss a gem, the only "fault" being slight surging if the TBS is not synched.

I am keeping this one, and have found nothing which offers the same value/fun for money
  18. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey, I thought this thread was long dead! :lol3
    Good to hear from a satisfied owner of a Navi. I had always wondered about the bike, ever since sitting on a used example in Didcot while shopping for a good used bike back in 2003.

I may do this same scenario again....that is....go to the UK...buy a used bike
    and tour round on it and sell it back off.

What are the Navigators selling for? Any chance I might find a decent, low mileage used example for around 2500 or 3K UKP's? :ear
    Last time I bought a Tiger and it did very well. I'm looking for something cheaper for a nice Euro tour in future. Thoughts?
  19. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Make that two very satisfied NAVIGATOR owners:deal
  20. cagiva549

cagiva549 Gone timer

Oddometer:
    I have always been intrested in the Navigator , After reading the bike report above I think I will stay with the GC . I usally run 300+ km before the fuel light comes on and 225 to 250 when off road . SEYA