CE-approved clothing - master list?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ranmafan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Malcontent

Malcontent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. MrPickle

MrPickle NP Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    So, from a purely consumer standpoint, is the list in post #1 relatively comprehensive? That sure ain't a lot of options, especially if you're in the US. I'd just like a safe multi season textile that I can buy in the US...there's like 1 or 2 options from that list...

The certifying agency or agencies seem to be the gold standard for safety, but it also seems that almost all jacket manufacturers don't participate in the certification process, except for the really high end, european boutique manufacturers. That said, with the seemingly exclusive nature of membership in the club, should I be concerned that the $400-$500 Olympia (or other quality manufacturer) I'm looking at is unsafe?

If there are more options that can be added to post #1, I'd love to see them, especially if they available on this continent...because otherwise, the discussion seems relatively academic to me...I ride a lot, and like everyone have to balance safety with availability (financial and logistical)...
  4. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    In short, yes, you should be. Whether you'll be able to do much about it, though...

If it has not been designed with these standards in mind, it will likely fail some or all of the L1 tests (stitching/burst strength seems to be the biggest issue). Price or perceived quality probably won't make much difference, either.

The European research would, therefore, label it inadequate even for low-speed (~50km/h) crashes. Whether you choose to believe the manufacturer's claims is up to you, but do keep that in mind.

These standards exist because there is EU legislation requiring them in certain situations. There's nothing of the sort elsewhere, AFAIK.
  5. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    The problem is 2 folds.

First no mandatory labeling testing of all garments - say if there is, it would be easier for consumer to make an informed decision. Of course manufacturers would argue higher cost and standards never can accurately predict what will actually happen in a crash. - Well 15 years CE rated protectors are a rarity. These days, non-CE rated protectors are a rarity - i doubt the actual cost would increase much. The point of a standard is that it allows easy comparison for what is out there in the market rather than relying on each manufacturers' claim - of course most manufacturers would generally not support it.

Second, consumers are still influenced largely by price, fashion and brand royalty in the their purchasing decision - there is little incentives for most manufacturers to produce a proper gear.
  6. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Icon boots added.

No idea why they don't seem to advertise the certification as a feature. Will look into it later.
  7. AMSBIKER

AMSBIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scott leathers currently provide leathers and textiles to the Police Forces in the UK. They are the main supplier for "Professional Riders" over here and the prices are not that bad. they are home office approved and have had the most rigiours testing there is. They do both textile and learher depending on what you want. The gear is top notch and having see a textile jacket that went down the road at over 70mph when the rider cam off on a blue light run I was very impressed. They also do gloves and boots etc..although the forces then to use Altberg boots.

http://www.scottleathers.co.uk/

Ps. No affiliation. Just a user of their products.

AB
  8. LKLD

LKLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any word on Clover Crossover WP jacket and pants, besides what WebBikeWorld posted?
  9. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing some of their "professional" gear (ought to be certified, presumably) just isn't available for regular orders, which is unfortunate. But the stuff that is available, like the Road Airflow, does look pretty attractive, especially with the "Made in UK" label and L2 protection...

First time I hear about it, thanks for pointing it out. The jacket itself isn't certified, though, which is just sad.

I'm a little skeptical about the airbag certification claims, though. It makes no sense to issue certification based on a draft standard (WBW makes no mention of this), meaning CE marking on those airbags is probably bogus.

Makes me wonder if the manufacturers aren't just eyeballing the numbers from their own tests, and proceeding to claim the airbags "certified"...
  10. AMSBIKER

AMSBIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, all Police gear is available to the public. Without the "Police" logos obviously.

AB
  11. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    More Racer gloves added.

Not sure what the deal is with the new Advance gloves - sounds like... removable waterproof/insulating liners?
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I think you can either put your hand in or above one of the layers depending on if you want any insulation on your palm. Several manufactures use the 2-1 gore tech. Klim Caldera I think also. FWIW, I've got the racer sicuro gloves. Quite satisfied with them.
  13. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Ah, that makes more sense, thanks.

By the way, I took another look at Furygan's catalogue and realized most of their certification claims are most likely a blatant lie. They've got plenty of flimsy-looking shorty "racing gloves" that seem to be barely covering the wrist, let alone passing the "50mm past the wrist bone" requirement.

Apparently, hiring topless models (keep scrolling :shog) had a better ROI than real certification....

(Eska gloves also added. 90% sure they aren't properly certified, either.)
  14. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Clearly from viewing the catalog their top concern is safety, demonstrated by the helmetless chick on the back of a motorcycle pulling a helmetless dude on a skateboard.
  15. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    • Added Stylmartin boots
    • Updated Lindstrands boots (optional tests weren't mentioned on the website)
    • Added a sample EN13634 (boots) pictogram with some explanations

Reading the actual text of the standard, I saw no tests for ankle twisting protection. I wasn't aware of the so-called "transverse rigidity" test, however... Seems like a basic compression/crushing (e.g. by a bike landing on your foot) test - they put the whole boot between two plates and see how much force it takes to crush it.
  16. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Added Sidi boots.

Note the Doha all-fabric shorty model and Crossfire (offroad)...

EDIT: Also added Axo and Forma.
  17. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Furygan and SoubiraC's (French) jackets/pants/gloves removed from the list. Boots are *probably* okay.

Another case of misleading wording and improper documentation. While they saw some kind of testing, it wasn't EN13595 and almost certainly wasn't done in an authorized lab (admitted by at least one rep, apparently).

...which explains their choice of wording (e.g. "based on"), non-standard labels, unusually low prices and the sudden influx of "approved" models (some of which could not possibly pass the tests).

I'd love to be proven wrong, but so far none of the evidence is in their favour....
  18. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    i am naive but i just cant believe people are still perpetuating these sort of lies - i was still told by one of Rukka rep at a recent MC show the it's jacket is CE approved.

-----
    on another note on airbag jacket - AFAIK, the proposed CE only refers to energy attenuation from an impact (much like those for protectors) - Buyers still need to take into other important factors - such as coverage and airbag deployment time.
  19. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Salesmen making stuff up as they go is hardly new, unfortunately. I don't expect them to go "You're right, our company has been deceiving customers all these years", but I wish they had the decency to not blatantly lie when faced with difficult questions.

Just curious, how did they word it, exactly? Did they quote any numbers/test results?

Given the challenges with early (?) automotive airbags, I would also add something along the lines of "not liable to blow your head off upon deployment"...
  20. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    the official australian distributor : "yes this Rukka Jacket is CE certified...." "you mean the protectors...."no the jacket itself...." "really?!" - at this point, i didnt say more, just walked away thinking its either gross ignorance or blatant deception.