KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Good luck. If you do want to check the camchain I measured up a new one for comparison, see here

Cheers
    Clint
  3. Lortdadu

Lortdadu Joe Cool

Oddometer:
    Looking at new front forks atm, and I was wondering what the difference is between 43mm and 48mm WP fork legs. Most of the threads are about fork oil and fork settings, but I'd like to know the difference between these two models... Are they interchangeable? Like would I be able to swap 48mm legs on my bike if I had 43mm legs?
  4. Cruiser

Cruiser Cruiser.. 16 beta 350rr, 2003 KTM 625sxc

Oddometer:
    To swap out the 48's you would need the clamps axle and wheel too..
  5. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wp4860s came off a husaberg fe 650/550?,i had the wp 4357s on it before that,as stated you will need the berg tohad a p/bottom triple clamp and front wheel.The reason for the changeout was the 43mm forks had a gouge mark in them and it was cheaper to find a good s/hand set of 48s,dont seem to blow as many fork seals on the 48s either.
  6. Lortdadu

Lortdadu Joe Cool

Oddometer:
    Alright, thanks for the info. Is there some details from where I can see that which forks I have? One of my fork legs got bent today, so I guess I'm going to have to shell out a few stacks of $$$... :muutt

Oh, and I forgot to ask, which one of the forks has better qualities and in what ways if any? Would greatly appreciate this.
  7. endurists

endurists Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are back to basics. Yesterday changed WR426 to LC4 Adventure 98'
    Everything is good except clutch things. When the engine is cold clutch catches very fast and at the end of lever, but when heats up is difficult to find neutral. Had before two LC4 and few RFS, bet never had problem like this.

What could it be? Intermediate (metalic) discs are glazed or wavy? Wrong oil? (Now according to previous owner must be MOTUL 300V). What else?

Kalvis
  8. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hello Klavis,
    I don't think the problem is oil. I could be that you just need to use the machine to loosen the plates. If that does not work I would lay the machine on it's side and remove the case cover and look inside.

The clutch comes apart easily and you won't have to drain the oil to check things out.

Be careful with the case gasket because it can tear. Use a sharp knife to loosen it.

You can also check the transmission main shaft bearing at the same time since they are known to fail. I think that could cause some of the problem you are having.
    Many of us changed that bearing on the early Adventures.

I was in Latvia 3 years ago, your country is lovely, especially after 6 months in Russia.

bill
  9. endurists

endurists Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hello BMWKTMBILL! Allmost every country after Russia will look the best place on earth! Where did You spend these 3 months?

I already had LC4 Adventrure 98' and also split cases because right main was bad, secondary shaft was gone and also countershaft bearings was bad. I will try to loosen plates will tell about results :)

Kalvis
  10. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Kalvis, I rode my mc from Vladivostok to Latvia via Moscow, Mongolia and the Biakal.

I saw plenty of drunk Russian men and beutiful Russian women...and...lots of gravel road on the unfinished highway paralleling the Trans-Russia railroad.

Russians are trouble.
    Russian cities are ugly.

Latvia was like the new world after 6 months in Russia.
    bill
  11. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a set of LC4 Rallye rear tanks?
    Anyone ??????????????
  12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could probably find them, hope you have deep pockets.
  13. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a Right side LC 4 rear Rallye tank.
    I still need the Left side tank

Hear are the two KTM part numbers
    #5851219600004 Right side
    #585209500004 Left side
  14. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, my 640adv has developed some strange sound comming from the engine.. It only happens when it's warmed up well (after 15-20 min riding), and for example in second gear, cruising at a steady speed, rpm at about 4-5000, and then I'm not closing off the throttle fully, just backing it up a little and holdig it there (for example, for slowing down slowly, avoiding hard engine braking). Then I get this sound (during the steady, but small throttle opening) .. It sounds like the whole bashplate would be rattling, it's realy noisy like putting marbles in a metal pan and shaking it.. However my bashplate is rock solid mounted.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
  15. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Pull the clutch cover and clutch assembly and check the bearing back there if you have a pre-03 model.
    you might also see some rub marks on the inside of the cover and the clutch hub before you ever get the clutch assembly off.
  16. rz35027

rz35027 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have any rocks between bashplate and motor?
  17. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for you answer!
    It's a 2005 model. Do I need to drain the oil for taking off the cover, or is it enough to lay it on its side?
  18. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    No:( It's clean, and the rubbers are good as well.
  19. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I think you will have to resort to calling dealer directly, watching the flea market here, ebay and craiglist wide search programs(like searchtempest). My buddy got his from touratech, 5 yrs ago, long after they were off their catalog, but they had a pair collecting dust in a corner.
  20. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    05 shouldn't have that problem they changed the bearing used to the better design in 03.
    But if you want to pull it apart you can lay it on its side and pull the cover.