Another bike damaged by Girag

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CheckerdD, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ship your bike between Panama and Columbia, be sure to take a couple of pictures of it in the Girag terminal. Some idiot tried to pick mine up by the license plate light and broke the whole attachment off along with the shield over the brake fluid reservoir. Lucky me I had a good by Panama photo with both unbroken items showing. Dave
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Yes, shipping by Girag sucks. Unfortunately, of all the ways (all the way? there are other ways?), Girag sucks the least.
  3. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On top of that there still offering a really bad service. as complain by an Australian just a week ago, on which I was directly involved. Girag deserve to apologize and give us (me and Brian ) a good explanation because the service was serviced in such unprofessional way.
    It is been said on the shipping section that the main purpose of the forum other than helping and sharing, is to inform which providers really 'sucks' on service. This is one of them! Never Again I will offer or recommend GIRAG , unless they give me a 'professional' good explanation.

In response to Bman comment below:

I don't care not mad about the payment really, it was the service of Girag what really bother us. Very simple, I don't provide clients to Girag anymore because they are not professionals running their business. I am just notifying everybody about the issue and it is up to them to use them or not in the future. From my side, not anymore.
    Why I put the comment here? well this is the only thread about Girag that I found. See your previous comments above and figure out, 'it sucks' , for me too, 'it sucks'
    Now, about reservations with Girag, probably they don't accept reservations (new for me and really don't care) but I got in contact with them and send them all Brian's information, thats the principle of logistics. They were waiting for him as notified by the General Manager to me.
    I did not give Brian the wrong address . They 've been working there for long time and it is not the first time we use them. Now it will be.
    I think your comments are totally out of knowledge and competence.
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Seriously, Gaston? Didn't you get warned about spamming? Now you're digging up old, old threads, to accomplish what? You're mad because Girag didn't pay you for services you didn't provide. You gave Brian the wrong address and you ignored Girag's policy of not taking reservations for motorcycles.

What does it take to get banned? Shut- I've been banned for much, much less!
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Gaston does what he does. That's a known.
    He's not always right, obviously, about many things.

IMO, the greatest threat to this very cool and open forum is the weak Mod who recently inserted himself into this forum - The Misery, whose track record can be followed and found.

This forum has always been self-policed, because most all of the participants are open to ideas, but still, and always, focused on relaying good info to other riders.

That's my opinion. Gaston is not a problem.
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Gaston has been posting here for a few years. Since he started his shipping agent business he occasionally posts a plug for his services. Not exactly within the rules, but not a big deal IMO, we know where he is coming from, and he actually does contribute good information to the forum from time to time, so I dont get too worked up about it.

Like you said, this forum is fairly self policing, which seems to work very well.

If the Goat is the problem, I must admit that I dont really see it. He basically told Gaston not to spam the forum.

My bike was damaged by Girag as well. They ripped off the license plate and bent the rear sub frame. Shit happens in air cargo. Luckily, since I have been in the air cargo business for quite a while, I knew what could happen so I thought to take pictures of my bike before I left the terminal. Girag paid the going rate for parts and repairs and it only took about 2 hours out of my day to collect. But, if I didnt take the photos before hand, I would have had to eat it. Es la vida. The times that I have flown cargo in and out of Bogota, I noticed that Girag loads the cookie sheets (the platform that the bike is strapped to) into the aircraft with a forklift rather than a K-loader. Pretty common to see that with the Latin American air cargo operators. If I had a peso for every time I saw a pallet or a cookie sheet fall off the fork lift or the side of the jet, I would be able to retire.

I'm not defending girag by any stetch of the imagination, but contrary to what Gaston implies, it is the quickest way by far to get your bike over the gap. Sure, it may take a day or day and half of your time to get things squared away, but the same goes for container shipping, dealing with the ports, port fees, etc.

I hope this ferry comes to be as it will make things quite a bit cheaper, but not necessarily faster, nor easier. Vamos a ver.
  7. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Lone Rider: I'd agree with you if I wasn't concerned about being banned again. Oh, wait- I decided a year ago that I didn't care if I was banned again. That doesn't mean I want to get banned. It just means I'm not going to insult a mod.

Vinnie: this post of yours kinda looks like the one I posted in March, 2008, except that I was a pissed-off customer instead of a take-it-as-it-comes customer. My thread was pretty much like this one, even titled almost the same.

8. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Hey, Gaston at least keeps this form lively. :rofl

For the record, my experience with Girag was great. I showed up at their office in Panama in the late afternoon and was riding my bike in Colombia by the afternoon. Nothing was damaged on the it either. The Canadian fellow I was riding with had a broken driving light which Girag offered to pay for.

It's all part of the experience :deal
  9. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moto-Trek

It might be your case from Panama to Colombia, the other way is the problem. And I am not worried anymore because we don't work with companies that have bad performance anyway. If I rely on another company is for their benefit and I expect a good service.
    Mrs.Achaure (Gerente General Bogota) is the one to give the reasons why this happens. I 'll be happy to transcript her letter here then.
    In the world of business , the bad ones are always condemn to die, sooner or later.

Let's hope for that ferry one day and finish mediocrity.
  10. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    The people in this forum, in general, have a clue - able to separate BS from fact and logic. What a pleasure, and solid info is shared.
    Sometimes there's emtional stuff, both good and bad. In the end, it's always all on the the next topic.

I know The Misery's history. I see him as a problem. The first instance was his controlling the emotional typing about Gaston - closing that thread. There was no such need. These threads here always run their course, naturally, because of the type of people/riders/posters here.

Then another thread shuffled away/closed, because he didn't like it- exercising his power - because he's inserted himself and his own personal view on what is now posted here. He is not, an any way shape or form, a person you would want in your foxhole, IMO. I don't care where he's been, and on whose dime he did whatever.

I typed more than I thought I would...:D

Somebody is now here to help....give me a f'ing break.... :D
  11. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    No kidding..:D....and he really does have some good info.
    Probably has good campfire kinda talk, too.
  12. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Never met you. Hopefully, some day, I will.
    You've posted some weird stuff ove the years.
    Hey, we all do, at times.
    You've been a true benefit to this forum.

No babysitter needed here....:thumb
    And nobody asked for one.
  13. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Wow I totally missed that ... that sucks IMHO. No wonder this thread got dug up. Oh well, it too will pass :nod
  14. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Didnt realize the thread was closed until you mentioned it. I agree that there was no need to close it. It would have run its course and died within a week or so. If it could have been some kind of liability or libel issue for the site, then you do what you have to do.

In any case, Latin America is not JoMomma, we do a pretty good job of letting the bullshit die on its own.

:lol3 Its ok bman, we still love ya. :freaky Usually I delete my weird shit before any one notices, but it all depends on that night's Tequila intake. :lol3
  15. Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Ever wake up in the mornng and wonder what you posted the night before? :rofl

No harm, no foul...

Honestly, the people here are great.
  16. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    With vague fleeting memories of tapping away somthing at a computer with a shit eating grin on your face? Naw, I dont think I have ever done that. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  17. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, nobody here does that...:D
  18. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Tequila? Do you drink that stuff too? :rofl
  19. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Dear Lone Rider,

I never told you this before, but you've always been my online-persona-role-model. I've always wanted to quote you when you said that the KLR headlight was best suited for daytime use.

Dear Vinnie,

I never told you this before, but I'm afraid of riding a motorcycle with you. All those rooster tails would get my bike dirty.

Love,

Bananaman
  20. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    It was BMW headlights, but who is counting. They blow hairy goat balls.

If I ever tried to ride with the Vinster, I'd surely be in a hospital. Let the youngins have their fun...:D

So, tell us some more cool stuff...again.