990/950 Twin Hella (90mm) Lighting Project

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by BMacW650, Jul 13, 2013.

1. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    I actually ordered the bi-LED hella lamp. But had to return it because there is no room to fit in the 990adv housing. The Bi-LED lamp was much deeper and it has cooling fins all around it.
  2. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    They make good stuff! Don't let the low lumen #'s put you off....
  3. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
  5. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That's my thinking as well. You can also find 90mm replacements from Dialight, Bmac, Nolden....and they're all priced at around 200ish $ per beam. I think that Hella's dual beam LED light is more like 500ish.

I'll stick to halogen until the prices drop.
  6. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    Bracket is all set. Still trying to find a good way to mount the face shield.
    My bike has the safari tank, it's a bitch to take the headlight and wind shield on and off with the tank. (hard to line up the bolts when remounting).

So I was a bit put off in between rides to take it apart.

Anyone with a spare headlight mask, please let me know. I would like to trade or buy it. That way I can work on the mounts, off the bike.
    [​IMG]

Since there were enough interests on this and I was not happy with the first version, I had to remake the face plate mold.
    I'm also still trying to figure the material and the finish of the face plate. But it's safe to say only a few colors will be offered. You can paint it yourself if desired. I've experimented with many other materials with the intention of providing more color options. But they didn't work out.

Those of you that are serious about getting a setup from me should get ready. Tomorrow I will go talk to the machine shop and get a quote on how many plates they can make me at minimum order, and that likely will be the end of the run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Silently lurking... I'm definitely in for a complete kit!!
    Love your work BMac!
  8. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in also - I am very impressed with your work to date.
  9. Enduro10

Enduro10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    + 1
  10. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting for all my parts to arrive next tuesday. For now, I will not be able to make the LED ring lights as running light. However, I can drill a hold in the high beam housing so that the stock running light with the rubber stand can be plugged in directly. Also not happening on this batch is the acrylic lens protector. They are just too hard to make consistently. Since I don't plan on making more after this batch, and enough people would be happy with what I have now. I'd rather keep the cost down and get this over with.

Here are a few pictures from yesterdays ride.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have an idea of where these are coming in price wise? And I understand that it could change, just looking for a range.......

Nice work!
  12. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    I'll probably ask for $350 as it stands. At this point. I don't have any additional development which would add to the cost. How I figured this number in is basically add all of my cost together and divided by the number of unit I will make (10).
  13. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    The safari tank is notorious for expanding and morphing, that's why you see the slight gap down the bottom. because the windscreen is actually pinched by the tank.

I've made the mold so that it should be a very snug fit on a standard setup. I have ordered additional headlight mask and hardwares, so I can work off the bike and check the mounting for all the additional units I produce.
  14. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    My safari tanks pinch the windscreen as well. I have a small gap at the top. I look foward to your kit. Keep me on the list :)
  15. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    How stone proof would these be as is ?
  16. nomad guy

nomad guy A legal alien

Oddometer:
    I'm in for one kit.
  17. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I have a Touratech plexi h/l shield... So lens protection is a non issue... but do they throw a lot of heat?
  18. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    As for the plastics around the headlight, they should be quite durable. The hella lights are made of glass. So some type of protection would be good.

lamin-x selss 20mm thick round stickers you can put on this. If I have time later on, I will still try to make a polycarbonate lens protector.
  19. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    A bit more info. I tried to open up the high beam after a bit baking in the oven. The goal was to embed the LED ring light inside of the light housing for running light.

Anyways, it's probably doable, but it would cost everybody a ton of money, because I had chip the glass at a few spots with very gentle prying. So I gave up on that route.
  20. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any progress?
    Go ahead and put me down for one set.:deal

Bundy