Large CSM Hack, Small Schnauzer

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by davebig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to advance the cams on these machines. That may bring low end back for you.
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    It is possible but cam sprockets are hard to locate and one can't do it with a key easily,there some 8 degree sprockets but they're too much, I have used them with a set of BMW road bike cams and pistons and cranking compression went to 205 too much, it had thunderous torque but wouldn't rev worth a damn.
    I tried both sets of airtubes short and fat and long, the longer ones worked better but after looking at the plugs we are close to dangerously lean, if I where changing pistons also I'd get a tweaker and soldier on, but the engines in excellent shape has been dyno'd and the fuel curve was perfect with the stock cams.It'll only take a couple hrs to change back and I remember how to do it.
    On the other hand my bypass screws where plugged up and it ran like hell when I first started it,like when we tweaked yours one side wouldn't respond and I think I shot half a can of carb cleaner through it to get it to work right.
    MN fall is finally here its in the lower 50's and the winds 28-35mph out of the NW, I'm having trouble remembering why I live here.DB
  3. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    The offer is still open...lol.
  4. davebig

Oddometer:
    Justin the little Schnauzer and I have been out of business for about 2wks :cry and hopefully it won't be another 2 wks, the leaves are mostly gone here in MN and and soon as the sun gets low cool, 20's at night maybe low 50's on a sunny day.
    I busted one of the cam chain guides(nylon guide) while changing back to stock cams from one of my fools errands.To change the guide the cases need to be split (expletives deleted ):evil not to mention my embarrassment I've had my hot rod gs apart half a dozen times and changed stuff including rods and I knew the only real no no is don't break the chain guides.

Problems: I was too lazy to remove the car so I could see what I was doing,my real undoing was loosening the tenioner and undoing the cam sprocket with a impact gun it most likely caused a whip in the chain snapping the guide.
    I hate learning stuff this way,:cry I don't have allot of humility but this is helping.

Plans: Gina's BMW in Iowa City IA has the best service center I know of, I talked to Julius the service manager and he has my confidence told me what it should take hrs wise and said he had two young guys who had never split cases and he would like to use it as a training aid. 82k miles on my tug 100k on another GS this is a first trip to a dealer for help, I guess I'll live through it.
    I had a spare set of cylinders I had rechromed and honed to a new fit and some 11/1 pistons from an rs,rt so he might as well put them back on and check the valve seats. Since everything comes apart it'll get a new clutch disk thanks to inmate Drone's shopping expertise.I had a 33/11 final drive I was going to stick on so that can change that, again its all apart and I had a set of brake light switches to remove the absi power brakes so he might as well save me the garage time this winter.About the time I get this paid for Stroker will surface and want to send me a front wheel. It'll all be good .

Anyone want to hire a cynic ??????? Great at bitter sarcasm ok at BMW topends and gaining experience all the time:wink:DB
    FR700 likes this.
  5. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    >>>>Anyone want to hire a cynic ??????? Great at bitter sarcasm ok at BMW topends and gaining experience all the timeDB <<<<

:eyes
    LOL
  6. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey neighbor nice rig we could be twins.Funny thing is I bought mine from the Twin Citys only it was a Dauntless built come down to the GR3 next year it be nice to take a good look at it...First beer is on me...
  7. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, Wow! Hot Rodding a GS may not be as rewarding as it's cracked up to be! You had a pretty good hunch about your wheel being ready about now. All that needs to be finished is powder-coating the rim and final assembly. I'll call you in the next couple of days. Happy Thanksgiving to all!:1drink
  8. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all Happy T-Day.Dave after looking closely at your pics Claude makes one hellof a subframe..Thats one that definely won't break..I was looking at the samething with my final drive this year,but after some more research I decided to send my final drive to Tom Cutter for rebuild got a noisey bearing in it right now..I'm sticking to the stock gear raito.Will be interested on how Strokers Front tire works...:freaky
  9. hdgypsyman

hdgypsyman Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave:
    That area in Minnesota is one of my favorites. I would love to follow you around next year in that part of the state if I get my rig completed by then.
    [​IMG]

My Dnepr hack body and my fender is at a local body shop right now. Progress is slow, but it is progressing.
    [​IMG]

I'm very interested in your front end trail mods and how your stroker front wheel conversion works out!
  10. davebig

Oddometer:
    Well Gypsyman this sidecaring is a learning experience there's allot to it and one thing begets another, the shortened telelever mod was easy and cheaper than $1500 for a new triple clamp, a welding shop I hang out in in winter did it, the fork stays in the same place and one can usually get by with less spring in front than with changing the rake.
    A automotive tire in the back gives lots of push and wears well, but then the front tire is overloaded when it comes to braking and one really notices it when braking hard, I started out with a tourance on the front that should have had 5k left in it but the sidecar chewed it up in 3k.You may want to think about an automotive battery in the car trunk it seems to help balance allot and always enough power.If I was completely honest I'd say I wasn't sure it was better than a Mini' Cooper but I like things different and I'm still learning.DB
  11. hdgypsyman

hdgypsyman Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would agree with that statement. I traded my first rig, a CB900C and hitchhiker side car for this rig:
    [​IMG]

I've put about 4500 miles on it locally in the two years that I have had it. Great fun on the local gravel roads and such, but limited for extended travel speed wise. Thus the R1200GS rig in the making.....
    But I will keep the KLR rig for tearing around locally and delivering parts.
  12. davebig

Oddometer:
    As the year's about over I got out for a short test ride it was 12 degrees,I got my bike back 12/22 mounted the sidecar Christmas day (scrooge like bachelor) but then Strokers front wheel showed up and I had a small attack of ineptness but nothing a good nights sleep couldn't fix.
    So bike has new topend with fresh cylinders and 11/1 BMW road bike pistons, a new heavy duty clutch plate and a 33/11 final drive,ABSi removed and one of Strokers excellent front wheels as near as I can tell it was all worth it great low end grunt the increased compression helped,since its a GSA it had a lower first gear so the 33/11 feels deep enough, and the braking thru Strokers wheel is way superior when there's traction.
    I got a few more things to tweak and I need a little warmer weather -10 is tonights forecast.Happy New Year DB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    :d:d:d:d
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    Is that your teeth chattering Claude ? Happy New Year ! I'm gonna hold out for some 20+ degrees and then go on an adventure, I got a hatch in the tonneau for Justin and a 12v blanket with power in the dash/glove box we'll try and visit a few of our haunts.DB
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Congrats! :clap

What tire did you decide on for up front?
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    Hi Ned
    Due to the size constraints I grabbed a NanKang which seems better than one would think, it's round and balanced up easily and on my short test ride was great and braked really well, I'm thinking of calling Canadian Tire as they advertise allot of the right sizes. I checked local tire dealers and most midwest tire distributors are out of the sizes we would like,I impulsively have a Continental ice tire coming for a pusher.But I see these on a Canadian Tire site and I think a 145 would fit in the front Continental ContiWinterContact TS760 how to obtain them is the deal I'm 350 miles from Canada and need to update my passport on the other hand winter in MN winter is a questionable thing sometimes its ugly sometimes its not. high of 14 today !!!! DB
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    So the Stroker wheel is 15"?

Looked up some pics of that tire and couldn't find any of the 145 but in the wider sizes (175 and up) it looks pretty square with decent round shoulders. If the Nankang is really round, it will be interesting to hear how the handling changes when you slap on that Conti. Take some side-by-side pics will ya of the two tires when you do the change so we can see the differences.

Out West here, 350 miles is a light and easy one-day ride. That trip to Canadian Tire sounds like a nice weekend excursion and a good excuse to get out of the house. But me, anyways, I'd wait until Spring.
  18. davebig

Oddometer:
    I heard from Canadian Tire they will not ship tires outside of Canada. I mounted a Continental ContiWInterContact 175/65/15
    about 3/4" smaller than the Nankang 165/80/15 its an ice and snow tire, not an all season perhaps a little to compromised but well see, if we get some temps in the 20's.Tempted to grab a 145/65/15 Blizzak or Dunlop Graspic DS3 for the front.DB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handy tire size calculator http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
  19. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, looks like your having some chilly fun with your front wheel newly assembled motor. The tread options on these smaller sized 15" tires is somewhat limited. The Firestone offering has more of a block tread than the ribbed tread Nankang, which as you said is not that bad considering how passive the tread design is. I have gotten great service from my Nankang after changing from an old 145R15 Michelin XZX, which was hard as a rock. Because of the lower fender lugs cast into the 1100 lower fork legs, there is more of a clearance issue than with the 1150's forks. If you don't mind loosing an additional 1/2" of ground clearance, the 145/65R15 may be a good choice, as this is the size of the SmartCar tire and there are more options. The Pirelli Snowtroller is available in 145/65R15 and has a good looking tread design. We are finishing up a few more front wheels including two for the1200 model...at last!:clap I will be posting a few photos soon including some of the 5 1/2" wide rear wheel for Oilheads that takes a 195/65R15 tire. That IS one handy tire size calculator link!
  20. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]