Tourmaster synergy electric jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spraypilot, Jan 16, 2008.

1. madmaximum

madmaximum She said we're all idiots

Oddometer:
  2. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    Yes. It is also here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11/51/813/32387/ITEM/Firstgear-TM-Adapter.aspx

I hope that they are still available if mine ever breaks. Also because the plugs are the same this should work nicely to replace the heat controller:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...aster-Synergy-Single-Rheostat-Controller.aspx
  3. TJTraver

TJTraver Kbiker

Oddometer:
    Oh well , my Tourmaster Series 1 (N) controller just failed today after several years of use . I've contacted Tourmaster to see if they'll send me another controller as new ones don't seem to be available for purchase .
    If Tourmaster replaces it under warrantee I may roll the dice again and just use it.

But I've read and heard first hand sooo many problems with the series 1 controllers , I'm thinking I will just go for the sure thing and replace it like this .....

< Looking for verification this will work >

From what I've read I can :
    1) Remove the existing controller and "jumper it " like the diagram a few posts above
    2) Plug this Tourmaster rheostat in-line to the existing vest power cord
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...aster-Synergy-Single-Rheostat-Controller.aspx

Will post my outcome once verified ..... Todd
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I'm sure that will work fine. You might even cut into the jacket and make the "hot-wire" job neater and permanent.

Wonder if this is a true resistive rheostat or a more efficient electronic controller?
    [​IMG]
  5. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    My TM controller quit after I carelessly beat the crap out of it without knowing it. Bought that jumper/adapter and have used my Gerbings controller, identical to the TM shown in a few posts back. Works just fine for both my single and dual Gerbings.
  6. rjsurfer

rjsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That controller is the PWM version, the same as the ones Gerbing uses. Pretty efficient in controlling the heat.

I have the dual version on my new TM Synergy 2 heated jacket and gloves, recommend the dual version controller for anyone using a jacket and gloves combo the ability to control the glove heat independently is worth it's weight in gold. The jacket always gets warmer than the gloves.

Ron W.
  7. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ron,

I have the Synergy 2 jacket and the dual controller. How do you wire the gloves in?

..Tom
  8. rjsurfer

Oddometer:
    Tom

The gloves connect to the connectors tucked into the sleeve of the jacket.

The other connectors are as follows.... jacket has three power leads, 2 male, one grey and one black and one female black. When you run a dual controller the the two male connectors connect to the two color coordinated female connectors coming off of the controller. When your running a single controller you connect the female black (it has a grey band on it by the way) to the male grey on the jacket and the remaining black male goes to the single black female from the controller.

All these connectors are tucked away in a small pouch by the way.

Go to this web page for the PDF manual.

http://www.tourmaster.com/images/products/hangtag_sy2j.pdf

Ron
  9. TJTraver

TJTraver Kbiker

Oddometer:
    Here is TM's response ( within 24 hrs ) to my failed controller email to customer support :

" Thank you for contacting us. Yes, we had a known defect with the original Synergy controllers. Therefore, I have put in a warranty request for a replacement Synergy 2.0 controller and a V-Split adaptor. The adaptor allows the older Synergy garments to be compatible with the new controller. Please bear with me a day or so while I await a response from warranty. "

Can't beat that ...

Todd
  10. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I actually asked the wrong question: when you have the v2 jacket with the dual controller and add the Synergy 2 gloves will the Dual controiler control the gloves seperately from the jacket? I seem to recall messages here that said the gloves are tied into the jacket's controller and the instructions don't actuall say anything of this. (I don't have the gloves yet and amwaiting foir procduction to restart. Not a biug ussiue as its only been a little below freezing.)

..Tom
  11. madmaximum

madmaximum She said we're all idiots

Oddometer:
    Tom, the new jacket allows the gloves to be controller separately.
  12. rjsurfer

Oddometer:
    + 1 he's right....

Two sets of wires within the jacket allow separate control of the gloves and jacket, which is IMPORTANT I always run the gloves hotter than the jacket.

As a matter of course when I first get on the bike I set the jacket to 1 and the gloves to 3, so far that's been perfect for 40 degrees Fahrenheit and above.

Ron W.
  13. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments guys!

..Tom
  14. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the Synergy 2 gloves on the weekend. They work well and are controlled separately on the dual controlled on my Synergy 2 jacket. It hasn't been all that cold (I think -4c or about 25f was the coldest) but the gloves work very well. One thin I noticed is that there appears to be very little heat on the area of the hand that holds on to the hand grips. Is this normal? I have hand guards so I gather this is to provide heat on the outside that is normally exposed to the airflow. It seems to me that I might have to finally install my heated grips to warm up the other side.

Also, it looks like the beset way to wear them is to put them on before my Roadcrafter jacket so that the elastic sleeve goes over the s
    synergy jacket and goes under my Roadcrafter sleeves. A
    How do you guys wear them?

Thanks,

Tom
  15. rjsurfer

Oddometer:
    I never noticed there wasn't any heat for the palms, I guess that say's it's not a big deal because my hands stay warm. I don't know if I would bother with adding heated grips, a non issue so far.

As far as to what order you put the gloves on I just eliminated the small grommet and pulled the coax connector back out so now I put the gloves on last and pull both cuffs over the jacket. Maybe if it rains that's not the best solution but with both cuffs pulled tight I can't see too much water getting back into the inside of the gloves.

So far I'm happy with the Synergy 2 jacket and gloves.

Ron W.
  16. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a Tourmaster heated liner and Gerbings liner at the same time via mail order with the plan to return one. It allowed me to compare both. The Tourmaster was much cheaper price wise however the Gerbings provided more even heat and was of slightly better quality. I ended up keeping the Gerbings which was significantly more expensive with the controller. I'm glad I did as I've since had a connection issue with the Gerbings which is covered under their great warranty plan. There is not the same warranty coverage on the Tourmaster stuff. I would say the Tourmaster stuff is still OK for light use but if you are hard on your gear of plan to keep it a long time go for Gerbings or Warm & Safe.
  17. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep,,,, noticed that with mine too. I have heated grips on my bikes too but even on the XR where I can't run the gloves and grips at the same time, warmth wasn't a huge issue at roughly freezing temps.
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Do the Gerbings and Warm and Safe offer Lifetime warrantees?
  19. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta give this the ol bumplestiltskin.
    I can't be the only sap with problems with this stuff.

I've had 2 synergyII heatroller failures.
    The first one was a single (for gloves) which was replaced by the vendor without question. (Motorcyclegear.com is excellent btw)
    The second was a dual jobber, that went with the new gloves and a new jacket. The led's light, but I'm getting weak/no heat.
    Anybody else having similar issues?
    What's the best fix, warm&safe?

This is not a low voltage/wiring issue. I do also have can email in to tourmaster. I'm not trying to slam them, I just need stuff that works.
  20. XFanMan

XFanMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This might be a long shot but the vest that I got from them required the SAE pigtail to be reversed for my vest to heat like it should. Somehow the polarity was reversed on either the pigtail attachment to the battery or the vest itself. After I switched leads and put the negative on the positive terminal and vice versa I've never had another issue. Worth a look (I know you said it wasn't a wiring issue but I didn't "think" mine was either).