The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. franga

franga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cheers for the quicky.

what sort tires do you guys recommen? 70% dirt riding 30% pavement.
    i wanted to put d606 on the rear and d908 on front but apparently the 606 wont fit...

front 90 90 21
    rear 140 80 18
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    you are talking abt the XR400, correct? mine is a 96 XR4 and I run the D606, 120 90 18 and I can squeeze abt 3000 miles out of it before mounting a new one..wonder why a D606 won't fit on your bike? :scratch
  3. Brewster

Brewster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Sweet !
  4. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is An XR400 in this years Dakar, no 127
  5. Rman237

Rman237 Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer:
    Says who?? Got a 130/90-18 606 on mine with room to spare. :brow
  6. Rman237

Rman237 Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer:
  7. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very, very nice bike. But I don't see that license plate lasting very long.
  8. Brewster

Brewster Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the compliment. The bike gets ridden alot and gets equal TLC. The plate has been on for a couple years now and its never even loosened up (LocTite). The plate bracket is from Scotts Performance ..... my buddy has one on his WR450F and his has not been a problem either.

Cheers,
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I did the revalve of the XR4's forks yesterday, threw in some .43kg eibach springs and new seals while I was in there. Pretty easy mod, it took about an hour on the first leg and about 30min on the second. I was able to do it w/o any special tools. I did need to use a airwrench to remove the compression stack out of the bottom since I didn't have the special tool to hold the dampening rod, I also made a seal driver out of 1.25" PVC coupler. Cost: about $135 including oil, sure beats the $300~400 that a suspension tuner would charge.

I haven't ridden it yet but they feel good, thanks trailryder42!

Here's the procedure if anyone is interested.
  10. Wilson9068

Wilson9068 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Scotts that has the dampers? Thank you.
  12. Brewster

Brewster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is correct, if the web-site says they don't have it, I'd call them anyway. I went to buy one for my Son's bike and it was in stock although the web-site said they were out.

Cheers,
  13. Czechsix

Czechsix Slower than you....

Oddometer:
    Should fit fine, I'm running a 130/90-18 D606 on mine.
  14. Czechsix

Oddometer:
    Go Boyer!

From google translate and the Dakar site:

"bike only costs 3500 euros! '
    This time comeback for Nicolas Boyer. He loves the bike in all its forms, and practice since the age of seven years on the tracks cross or enduro, the most prestigious circuits as the Bol d'Or, and of course on the dunes of Dakar, he won in 2001, finishing 35th on the same shores of Lac Rose. Since the Ardèche also tasted the boat races, but returned after a 12 year absence on the gold standard, the Dakar. To spice up the game, Nicolas is not only committed without assistance, but especially straddles an old Honda XR 400 from 1999, a model that will only drive the rally. With one of the smallest budgets of the plateau, the ghost also wants to show that the Dakar can be considered modestly.

"The same year, I had the Dakar and the Bol d'Or, which is not bad for a biker. Since then I've done other things, but every time I meet someone, he asks me when I'm leaving on the Dakar. And this year, I got the call from South America. I have an old bike, but it is a simple and reliable mechanics. There is a sentimental side to jump with a motorcycle in 1999, but it also worked many times. When others leave with a machine 35 000 euros, mine only costs 3500 euros! I have a total budget of 25,000 euros, I do not see how we can do less. I'm trunk-bikes because I think that is where are the true values ​​of Dakar. Moreover, if the objective is simply to reach the end, I'm also tempted by the victory in this category. "
  15. Wilson9068

Wilson9068 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finished in 107th of 169 riders, under an hour behind Depres!
  16. Czechsix

Oddometer:
    :cry

Dammit. I really didn't want to split the case.

Damn.
  17. Fishnbait

Fishnbait Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Broke a throttle cable on my last outing. Can anybody give me the Honda part number for the pull cable. The fiche online are confusing to say the least. Not much love from the Motion Pro cables, would rather use genuine Honda.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The only way to tell them apart online is to look real close at the picture where the cable connects to the throttle and you'll see one has a square rubber boot and the other a round boot.
  19. Fishnbait

Fishnbait Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but the problem is they list two part numbers under the same tag number, and tag #1 and #2 have identical part numbers. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place. Rocky Mountain and Ron Ayers. By the placement in the photo I believe I need tag #2, rear cable on throttle tube.

EDIT: Screw it. Just counted my change jar and ordered both.
  20. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are there any identifying marks on fork springs in regard to their rate?

I'm needing to go into the forks on my '98 and at least ID the springs (hoping for .46's), as well as change the oil and do the Shim Stack Mod, if not already done. There's most likely not a set of .46 kg/mm springs already in there, but I'd like to ID the current residents just to be sure.