The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Owners manual states 1.6 qts when changing the filter. I added that amount, started the bike to let it warm up, shut it off, let the oil drain down and nothing shows on the sight glass. Ended up putting in two qts to get it to half way up the sight glass. The bike was on the rack in an upright position, not on the side stand. What gives? Manual wrong? Thanks
  2. Oldtimer

Oddometer:
    I was waiting for them to notify me via email but you're much quicker. Thanks, it's on it's way.
  3. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops, I didn't mean doing anything with the SA, just taking that off, and enlarging the holes in the tube underneath. Seems like if you went a little at a time, you could unleash a little more power, without the sound level getting nasty.
  4. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    service manual states " if the level is below the lower level line....fill the crankcase with the recommended oil up to the upper level line

and your correct, this is in an upright position....huh?? strange- 1.8 liters (1.9 US qt) at engine diassembly????

You'd think this should be the ultimate MAX..maybe their both wrong (owner's and service manual)

or you've got a leak!!
  5. Oldtimer

Oddometer:

That's all I remember and it hasn't fallen off yet. :1drink
  6. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Diesel Truck Oil in all my bikes, Rotella T Synthetic, I've only had to replace two engines, 8 clutches, 3 pistons, and a few valves, do you think it's the oil. :D
    John
  7. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil is heavy. Running no oil would reduce weight.
  8. Larry Ferguson

Larry Ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you order one from Honda?
  9. Charleston

Charleston Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah ha thatÂ’s why my Harley is so heavy, I use heavy weight oil. Thanks
  10. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I told her I was on the waiting list. She sounded like her brain was saying WTF "waiting list". Got the order in...done...2 miles from where I used to work. I'm thrilled also...but had to pay MI sales tax.
  11. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    GAAN: The emission sticker is on the tip of the fender. Mine says it is Federal and CARB certified...and it's a Michigan bike.

EDIT: The 3 stickers that are on the rear fender are shown in the parts book picture, but are not listed with a part # or price.

I could take a picture of the sticker and email the picture to you...would that make the inspector happy?
  12. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh oh, not sure it's OK to talk about a Harley on the owners thread. I know it's OK to post pics of BMW's, and Husabergs, though.
  13. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Spud :lol3
  14. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    X2 :rofl:rofl
  15. Harcomo

Harcomo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D:D.........................................:lurk
  16. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    mine also took *almost* 2 quarts to get it near the upper oil level line

I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over it

10w40 amsoil is what I use in all my bikes

hope I don't start an oil war

:lol3
  17. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought mine at R&D Honda in Raton, NM a couple weeks ago, paid 4369. plus tax and license (OK, bottom line was 4522. out the door)
    I was in there today and see he got in another one. If ya want a good deal, this guy will be hard to beat. It is a small shop, but they have been in business for 37 years.
  18. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer

Oddometer:

if it's only 2 weeks old, it'll be because the tyres havent lost their 'hair' yet, and are unbalanced, mine used to get a nasty vibration at about 80kph, for about a month til the tyres wore in. now, however, its solid as a rock, probly need to check pressures as i havent since i bought the bike (4months and counting).

Time flies on a LRP! have ordered a set of Polisport handguards from the UK (same mob that sells the folding shifter on Ebay), time will tell, however i do have a Hammerhead shifter with a 0+ offset tip here for sale if anyone wants it, doesnt fit the CRF250L so i found out, but it will fit a CRF250R, $50 + shipping if anyone has an R or knows of someone.
  19. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    I agree that the Easton pad is a dog. I'd rather use some foam pipe insulation and zip ties. I don't know about a GPS mount, but I'll take a look at my RAM mount and see if it will fit on the left bar in board of the mirror. Here are some pics of the set up. I really like the amount of rise that these have. I'll play around a bit this weekend. I had them set rotated forward to -1 position but put them at 0 yesterday. I'm going to try at +1 tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  20. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about this, the fender seems to be useless at keeping mud/water off the front of the engine, and your feet. Just got a copy of RoadRUNNER magazine, and they show a picture of the Husqvarna TR650 Strada , where the fender is attached to the lower fork protectors, instead of how ours is attached, I think to the lower triple. Our lower fork protector, looks pretty stout, thinking of doctoring something up, need to go out and look to see how it might be done. Years ago, I attached the fender to a fork brace, but that was before upside down forks.

http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/product.php?pid=65&cid=24