Peaklife GPS

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by boy60, Jun 14, 2011.

1. polanskiman

polanskiman who's Z?

Oddometer:
    Hello Outsidein,

Would you mind telling me what is better with the IGO Primo compared to the IGO8 ?

Thanks and Cheers.
  2. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Go Primo is simply the next iteration of the iGo software from iGo 8. The iGo site has a description on what's new with it.
  3. histguy

histguy Histguy

Oddometer:
    Has anyone gotten this unit to sync up with a Sena SMH10 via bluetooth? If so, they just sold another one!

Thanks.
  4. outsidein

Oddometer:
    It will sync fine with anything bluetooth. It comes with Windows CE which has lots of blue tooth support. The big issue is getting hold of the Navtec maps and iGo Primo software. They have shut down the GPS Underground where I got my software. Does anyone else know where this can be downloaded?
  5. histguy

histguy Histguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good news on the bluetooth functionality. In researching further I found this helpful post here about the Peaklife's bluetooth capability. Note the potential issue of using this GPS along with the music streaming functions of your smartphone. Not a concern for me as I don't listen to music when I ride, but it may be for others.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?116748-Peaklife-Motorcycle-GPS
  6. fanderson

fanderson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought one of these.

If I want to put music into the device on the sd card what folder do I put it in?

Or better yet, since I am a computer tard. How do I put music on the device.
  7. outsidein

Oddometer:
    How to configure and set up your Peaklife GPS

This is actually a repost.

=== cut and paste ================================================================

What distinguishes a motorcycle GPS unit from an automotive unit is they have a waterproof and shock proof case unlike a more fragile automotive unit. Motorcycle units also have the ability to provide voice prompts over a wireless blue tooth connection to a helmet head set and usually include mounting hardware and power supplies for both a car and motorcycle. Usually their touch screens are also optimized to work well with a gloved hand even in the rain. Perhaps because of the much more limited market for motorcycle GPS units, and additional features they require, they are much less widely available and usually 2-3x more expensive than basic automotive GPS units.
    The Peaklife Motorcycle GPS unit is unique among motorcycle GPS units in that it sells at a price similar to entry level, brand name, automotive units. It's also an open system that comes with Windows CE (light weight version of windows for phones and hand held devices) but no GPS software or maps. While the open nature of the unit does not restrict what kinds of software or maps can be installed or what features can be enabled, it does require some basic computer skills (eg. knowledge of file explorer, file torrents, zip files, mounting external file systems to your computer and transferring files to them via USB) from the user to initially set up and configure. It will typically take users 1-2 hours to initially configure the unit before they can use it. In short if you like messing around on your computer you'll love this unit but if you don't you will probably be more satisfied with a more expensive, but pre configured motorcycle unit from Garmin or TomTom.
    The following document attempts to guide the reader through the process of obtaining the correct software and recent maps as well as installing and configuring the unit.

Powering Up

Chances are when you first unpack the unit the internal battery will be dead and you will need to fully charge it. The USB cable included with the unit for connection to your computer will not charge it. You either need to charge it from a separately purchased USB charger, many cell phones use one, or connect the 12v motorcycle power supply and charge it that way, or leave it in your car overnight plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter. Note not all cars supply power to the cigarette lighter while the key is removed from the ignition so you will need to verify this. There is a blue light on the cigarette lighter adapter that will allow you confirm it is getting power. However you choose to charge the unit you will need to fully charge it before progressing to installing the software.

Obtaining Software

The best place to obtain software for the unit is a torrent site like www.piratebay.se. You will need to download and install a torrent download client like uTorrent first if you do not already have one installed on your computer. You will also need a RAR file program such as WinRAR to decompress the downloaded RAR files. RAR files are like ZIP files in that they compress a huge directory structure and all it's files into a single file for downloading.
    Tips for downloading WinRAR and uTorrent software: Avoid, if possible, installing any additional spamware like search bars that often come packaged within freeware install programs. If you cannot avoid installing you can later remove them using your computer's control panel. Just select add/remove programs within the program to later remove spam ware.
    download WinRAR Software
    download uTorrent Software
    Downloading Primo application software and maps Tune your browser to a torrent site like www.PirateBay.se,. On the site search for &#8220;Primo or iGo&#8221; for the GPS application software and look for the latest version. You need the Windows CE version. Sometimes they are labeled as Windows Ce and other times just alternate operating system. There are different versions for Android and other operating systems so be sure to select the correct version and read the download notes before downloading. Search for "Navteq <region like="" north="" america,="" europe,="" etc.="">" for the maps.

NOTE &#8211; on the pirate bay website DO NOT click on the big download buttons. These are for an advertiser (scam) and will have you downloading junk. Instead click on the small link to the left that says download torrent magnet file. A torrent magnet file tells your torrent client program how to download the selected software. Downloading the torrent magnet file will usually launch your torrent program otherwise save it to your desktop and later open it with your torrent program. Suggested torrents are (note these may change in future):
    Primo version 2.0.9.6.5 magnet torrent file
    Navteq maps for North America

Software Installation

Extract the software and maps from the RAR files downloaded earlier to your desktop.
    Create a directory called GPS on your desktop or elsewhere. Under this create a directory called MAP_DATA.
    Under MAP_DATA create directories called MAP, POI and BUILDING. Copy the map files from the expanded Navtec maps you downloaded earlier, into the MAP directory. The point of interest files into the POI directory and the building files into the BUILDING directory. Note, not all map data contains building info. Your GPS will work fine without this but will not show the buildings in 3D without it. If your downloaded map data does not have building info, also download an older version of Navteq maps and use the building info files from this along with your most recent maps.
    HINT (Shortcuts in file explorer to copy): In file explorer CTRL-A selects all files in a directory. CTRL-C selects alls selected files for copying. SHIFT-INS pastes all files previosly selected with CTRL-C into the new directory.
    Next copy all the files in the application package into the same GPS directory. One of these directories should be called Primo. Be sure all the data under Primo is also copied in the same structure it was downloaded in. If there are folders under Primo->Content named Map, POI or Building delete these or they will cause problems.
    The file sys.txt located in the application directory (Primo) is used to set the program's initial defaults. You need to edit this. Delete any entries under the [files] section or just comment them out by placing a &#8220;;&#8221; semi colin in front of them. Comments are proceeded by a semi colin and will not be read by the program. Paste the following under the [folders] heading. You should only have one [folders] heading in this file.

[folders]
    app="ResidentFlash\Primo"
    content="ResidentFlash\Primo\Content"
    kmlpoi="SDMMC\MAP_DATA\poi"
    maps="SDMMC\MAP_DATA\map"
    buildings="SDMMC\MAP_DATA\building"

This tells the program where to look for the map, poi and buildings directories. Since these take up a lot of memory and there is only so much on the SIMM card and resident flash memory, it is best to split the program and map data so the program is installed on the SIMM card, and the map data is installed on the resident flash memory.
    When you plug in the GPS unit to your computer via the included power cable, be sure to turn on the unit before doing this, two new drives should show up under MyComputer in file explorer. The first drive is the resident flash in the unit and the second drive is the SIMM card in the unit.
    Copy the Primo folder under GPS to the resident flash memory (first drive). Copy the MAP_DATA folder to the SIMM card (second drive). Unplug the unit. The windows CE default screen should be displayed. Select SETTINGS. Scroll to the right by touching the right arrow and select NaviPath. This is where you get to tell the unit where the Primo software is installed. Touch the magnifying glass and select ResidentFlash. This should show the directories under it. Select Primo and then Primo.exe. Do not select Navigation Auto Run at power on for now. Once you have confirmed the unit is functioning OK you can later go back and select this. This option will power up the GPS software when the unit is turned on. Without it you will need to manually select the GPS option under the Windows Ce menu to start up Primo. So start up primo and see if it runs. Best to do this out doors if you cannot get a GPS signal.
    If you get an error like missing map data you typed something wrong in the sys.txt file and will need to correct it. Be sure the entries in the sys.txt file match the directories you created on the unit.

Resident Flash Memory and SIMM Card Directories
    The ResidentFlash directory exists on the GPS device by default and does not have to be created. The ResidentFlash directory name is only visible when viewed on the device. On a PC it will simply appear as a drive letter. The SDMMC directory (SIMM card) is the same. It will only be visible on the device and on the PC will simply appear as a drive letter.

ResidentFlash
    -> Primo
    -> -> Content
    -> -> -> Car
    -> -> -> Global_cfg
    -> -> -> Lang
    -> -> -> Scheme
    -> -> -> SpeedCam
    -> -> -> Tmc
    -> -> -> Voice
    -> -> -> vr_vde
    -> -> License
    -> -> vocon
    -> -> branding
    -> -> Data
    -> Manuals
    -> Skins
    -> TTS Voices

SIMM Card Memory directories
    SDMMC
    -> MAP_DATA
    -> -> BUILDING
    -> -> MAP
    -> -> POI</region>
  8. histguy

histguy Histguy

Oddometer:
    Outsidein,

Thank you very much for posting this. It could not have come at a better time. My Peaklife arrived just 3 days ago.

Here are a couple comments and helpful tips for others who are going to follow these instructions.

1) Your computer may not load the SIMM card and the resident flash memory in the same order each time you plug the GPS in. On my machine a drive called "TFAT" loads, this is the resident flash memory. The SIMM card loads as "Removable Disk", much the same as a usb stick would.

2) When you download the Primo from the link above you will find Primo2 embedded within a second Primo2 directory. Remove it so the files are only 1 directory deep, not 2, or the software will lockup.

3) You need to use on the sys.txt files that come in the download. Choose the 320x240 version as this is the resolution of the Peaklife

4) I was never able to get the maps to load using this script:

[folders]
    app="ResidentFlash\Primo"
    content="ResidentFlash\Primo\Content"
    kmlpoi="SDMMC\MAP_DATA\poi"
    maps="SDMMC\MAP_DATA\map"
    buildings="SDMMC\MAP_DATA\building"

So instead I went with the default script that came in the download. So instead of installing the maps onto the SIMM, just install the maps in the Primo2\Content\Map, Primo2\Content\POI, Primo2\Content\Building directories. There is plenty of space on the resident flash to fit all the maps and POT's for North America (I didn't install the buildings as they were not in that download, so I am unsure if they would fit)

5) The Primo download above only includes voice navigation in Greek. I had to go looking around for English voice files. I apologize but I lost the link before I thought of typing out these notes here. They were not hard to find in the same torrent place as above. Just copy them into the Content/Voice folder.
  9. outsidein

Oddometer:
    I'm in North America and all the maps will not fit on the same drive as the application software due to space limitations which is why I put them on the SIMM and the application software on the resident memory. Your problem with the sys.txt setup to do this is the directory names you used do not match the entries in sys.txt. For instance your directory name is primo2, not primo. Also you need to verify the names your unit gives to ResidentFlash and SDMMC and change accordingly. You can do this when you enter the NaviPath (setting path to Primo) option under the windows CE menu on the device.
  10. histguy

histguy Histguy

Oddometer:
    I too am in North America and all maps fit (with 224 MB to spare) on the resident flash. This is using the maps provided in your link. Odd that it would be different. My Peaklife came with 2GB of resident flash- do you have something different?

The issues are not with directory nomenclature, I attempted the rewrite the sys.txt with the directory structure provided to me from the the download, as well as renaming it to Primo as per your instructions. I had no issues with getting Primo to run (I successfully changed the Navipath), it was getting Primo to recognize the maps outside of Primo/Content.

Your instructions were very clear and all steps were very successful. This was my only hangup (that I was easily remedied once I realized that all the maps fit on the resident drive)
  11. Thumper Dan

Thumper Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got one of these units but am having problems with the auto shutdown and restarting again.

What happens is I turn it off, it counts down to to ten and goes to sleep. So far so good! Turn the ignition back on and it all lights up but then a few seconds later, the whole thing freezes.

Any solutions, as I've tried a couple of different versions of IGO.............I'm using the latest 2.4 but still does it.

If someone has it this function running correctly, I'd be gratefuel to know what settings you're using. :clap

thanks heaps:freaky
  12. -Macca-

-Macca- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it iGo freezing, or the GPS freezing?

I've got iGo running on the internal flash, and OziCE running on the SD Card, and have noticed that occasionally when I restart the bike with the GPS plugged in it'll turn off and stay off, no matter which program I'm running at the time. :huh
  13. Thumper Dan

Oddometer:
    Um, I'm not sure if its GPS or software, but does your actually auto shudown and startup most of the time without issues. If so I'd like to understand your setup. :wink:
  14. -Macca-

-Macca- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't use the auto shutdown - mine runs all the time unless I turn it off manually. I've been bitten before trusting devices to turn themselves off. :dood
  15. Thumper Dan

Oddometer:
    So, do you still run through the ignition, or straight to the battery on the bike. I'm guessing that the gps battery would die out eventually anyway.
  16. -Macca-

-Macca- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a relay triggered by the headlight wire that feeds power to the GPS from the battery (so, on with ignition essentially).
  17. cjhfield

cjhfield n00b

Oddometer:
    This took me a while to get right so I thought I would pass it on. I am running Igo Primo. You can plan a route in Google Earth, Google Maps or Tyre and save as a KML file. Connect the Peaklife by USB cable to the PC and wait for it to be recognised. My device shows up as 2 separate drives in Windows Explorer - one is the main memory of the device and one is the SD card. On my machine the main device is identified as TFAT - this is where the routes need to be stored. Go to \content\userdata\route and paste the KML in here. Unplug the GPS and restart Igo Primo. Click on My Rote then choose More then the down button and click Load Route.

The naming of the route is taken from the first waypoint ie it ignores what you called the file. This may make choosing the correct route less than obvious if you have a lot of routes. If it is a problem you can open the KML file in a text editor and change the name of the first waypoint.

There is a lot of conflicting advice on the net about where the KML should go - it may depend which version of Igo you are running. The above works for me.

HTH

Chris
  18. outsidein

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. I was wondering how this is done.
  19. KiLO

KiLO Adventure Cafe

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the awesome info on the Peaklife unit. I just ordered mine for the KLR and am excited to try it out! I'll report back with thoughts and input.
  20. histguy

histguy Histguy

Oddometer:
    Cjhfield,

I have tried this and instead of the IGO Primo routing the way I laid out in the KML it routes the fastest/shortest/etc whatever the setting is in the software. Does yours do this also? I cannot seem to get it to take me the route I have carefully laid out in google earth.

Thanks