BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. The Shred

The Shred Airventurer

Oddometer:
    I have heard it at shut down too. I think it's oil in the crankcase breather?
  2. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: So I rode Green Brier enduro last weekend, the trail was mostly single track with off camber and small up and down hills, and a few stick farms thrown in for fun, but the main section was over 20 miles long and at 6, 12, and 18 MPH averages. That translates to over 2 hours. I've been told by more than a few competent G450X riders, that the "right" setting for enduro's is with the race mode "off". But, being old school, I thoght, "mo' power, mo' better". Well, by the time I finished the section, I was shot. It just hits too hard in the tight stuff, and you have to work harder to get thru it. Next week, the bike should be closer to being "dialed in", and will be in 40 HP mode.

Jack
  3. The Shred

The Shred Airventurer

Oddometer:

The motor is tight. Once it breaks in it will get better.
    Gearing it down and setting the idle higher helps.

[​IMG]
    :thumb:thumb
  4. ADV NY

ADV NY unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer:
    its the oddest thing to hear form a motor I am glad I am not alone in hearing it.
  5. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    The Shred,
    I tossed the 14T front sprocket on it last night. I'll see how I like it with that this weekend. I have a feeling the more that I ride this, the more the 144 will sit in the garage.

Andrew

ps....de-catted OEM exhaust still sounds like OEM exhaust :(
  6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Got mine out in the world for the first time this year. Fired right up. Sounds great. Rides just like i remember it. All hail Mud season! :clap
  7. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    Hello BMW Atlanta, wondering if while yours is still off could you measure the centre distance of the holes for shock mount and swingarm please?

Cheers
    Pilbara
  8. rdecae

rdecae Adventurer

Oddometer:
    went out on my 2009 450x this past Sunday. First dual sport ride. Nothing fancy, just went up to Parker Rd in N. Georgia and rode around there. Have a friend who has 30 acres off 60 on parker road and I rode it around there, then up parker road and some side roads. Basically it was a shake down run. Hooked up my Garmin 2730 and after a few adjustments it works great. My bike is 100% stock, but it seems geared high for my type of riding. I am 90% off road, gravel, single track. Only get on paved road to jump over to next fire or service road. maybe just need to get use to it.

Seat is hard as a rock, but to be honest, I was rarely on it. I am 6_5 and when standing on the pegs it is a long stretch to the handlebars.

overall I really liked it. I have a CR250. It was an awesome bike and I loved it. But I wanted to ride fire/service back roads that require a licensed bike. Basically I was looking for a bike to give me the same feel as my CR250. This 450x seems like a real keeper for me.
  9. The Shred

The Shred Airventurer

Oddometer:
    It took me 6 months to learn that. I was too stubborn to admit it was more than I could in the woods but all that power sure is fun for motocross!
  10. WikdBeemer

WikdBeemer Older but still riding

Oddometer:
    Good for wheelies too :thumb
  11. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Signed the papers and taking delivery of my new 2010 G450X early next week!!!:D

So, what all is for real supposed to come with this bike? I've heard a lot of different stories, but I regularly hear: LED tail light with smaller black license plate holder, jumper plug to activate high power mode, two other countershaft sprockets, tool kit, RepROM service manual DVD. Am I right to be expecting these things?
  12. mike p1

mike p1 WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    I did not receive the small led light or lic bracket, I was told it was not part of the 2010 pkg.I did get the 13 &15 t sprockets , offroad pipe and everything else you mentioned.
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    i got both tailights, but only one pipe, 13 and 14 sprockets (15 on the bike), jumper plug and the CD. Tool kit? :nope

HEY congrats on the new bike. WHeelie pics, plz.
  14. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I got the tail light (as my dealer said, it's not supposed to be included), 13,14 tooth sprockets (15 on bike), power plug, tool kit. The dealer I guess was waiting on the latest repair dvd to come in? I'll pick it up this week with an oil filter as well.

THe tool kit is a joke. Only useful items were rear shock spanner & axle wrench. The other 3 tools in there were for who knows what. More useful should be the BMW Roadside Assistance. :lol3

It's been 2 days since I've ridden, and I'm already getting the shakes. :D
  15. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    When I got mine, there was a card for the BMW Roadside assistance. The dealer explained very carefully how it all worked and so on, then I turned the card over and saw it clearly stamped "Not applicable for G450x". A little bit embarressing for the sales guy!
    But really, doubt they're going to come pick up my bike were I'm taking it anyway!

I guess it's like another dealership trying to sell me "Rim and Tyre" insurance for my wifes DRz. I looked at him and asked you seriously want me to pay over $400 to "insure" tyres only worth $100???? :rofl
  16. OZbeemer

OZbeemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should I be expecting any of these extra goodies with my '09? They didn't mention much about power plugs and such. Made it sound like it was "available" if I wanted it.
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    The power plug most certainly should be, but its actually just a wire jumper, so its nothing special. The sprockets as well, I would expect. Another pipe would be a huge expense on BMW's part, I've no wonder they didnt include it everywhere. Glad I got the LED taillight in addition to the incandescent one.

Edit: I would definitely want the CD repair manual, too. Awesome resource.
  18. OZbeemer

OZbeemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stagehand. Just trying to find out if I need to ask any "questions". Although they gave me so much for my DRZ trade in I feel bad working them any harder :rofl .

I will give them a hard time about not mentioning that the 2011 will be the last year they offer the bike.

Such as it is. None of my BMW's are still around so why should I start that trend now:D
  19. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wrong and Bobby of BMW Atlanta was right. The dealer that I spoke with that claimed they hadn't heard of BMW halting production of the G450X was talking out their ass. Confirmation came when I put my search for a 2010 G450X into overdrive. Every out of state BMW Motorrad dealer I talked to said that BMW doesn't even have any more G450X's in their North American distribution warehouse, and that all of the G450X's that currently exist in North America have either been purchased by consumers or distributed to dealers. I then called a local dealer that I've never worked with before and they confirmed the same. They were, however, able to find me a 2010 that arrived to a Wisconsin dealer in mid January. It's being transferred to my local dealer for me. The local dealer also went on and added that BMW actually sold the G450X design patents to Husqvarna, which is the actual reason why BMW cannot make the G450X anymore! They don't have the legal right to! Husqvarna now owns the G450X design, which is obvious of course with their new 2011 TE449 and TE510, and it's interesting to see what Husky decided to use and not to use from the G450X designs.

Al I know is that I'm glad I got my hands on a G450X, and a 2010 at that: slightly better seat, slightly better Ohlins rear shock, insanely better front forks, etc. Other positives are that I'll own an enduro that is unique, BMW will support the bike with parts for years to come, and it has a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty. I couldn't be more excited!:happay
  20. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    My brother's been working with Carbon Fiber for some work projects, so he told me to not install my Hyde Skid Plate yet. He began making a mold off of it last night.

[​IMG]

Anxious to see how it all comes out :D Going to try to convince him to make some sort of a front fuel tank.

Andrew