2011 bmw g 650 gs fork failure

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by antiquewidow, Jun 22, 2011.

1. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    "It appears to be a one time overload fracture"

That would sound pretty plausible if the bike had been ridden by Seth Enslow while filming stunts for "Crusty Demons of Dirt XII", but it's gonna be a hard sell to a jury looking at the grandmother of four in bandages and the photos (public domain now) of 5 other BMW's bounced down the pavement when the front wheel just broke the fuque off.

But I'm not a lawyer... just some moron on Advrider. :huh
  2. sop

sop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Research the legal doctrine: Res Ipsa Loquitur.
  3. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Latin for "the thing speaks for itself" good one.

but courtrooms are game-rooms, and the best lawyer wins the game, truth and justice be damned.

:y0!
  4. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Adsequi posse casu aliquo moron! :y0!
  5. sparklr

sparklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those pictures creeped me out enough to look at my KLR forks. Glad you are OK. At this point I'd have to say you are very fortunate to escaped fatality, had it been under different circumstances the outcome could have been much more unfavorable. That alone would have me walking away from the bike irregardless of any resolve by BMW.

A Metallurgic expert I'm not and I'd go along with the casting flaw theory, however I'd have to agree with another poster that said there wasn't much metal there. Perhaps it's a design flaw, myself I don't know.

Moving in another direction, I'm assuming with a new ride like this with only 95 miles on it, nothing was changed yet or tampered with like tires. So the questions I have may be better answered with the more experienced members.

1) Is it possible that improper assembly of the front wheel to fork caused this. IE not following proper procedure for front tire/ axle installation. Over-torquing and the like?

2) Would having an aftermarket fork brace be something to consider when mounting wheels/axles? Don't know if the GS has one stock and my KLR doesn't but have considered getting one. If the bike comes with some bracing stock, is that something to be weary of when securing the front?

The reason I ask is that is that the arrangement is different than with UPSD forks and seems that there really is less strains involved with UPSD. But with the older conventional arrangement misalignment while securing everything COULD leave it in a Stressed condition if not done correctly. With no fork brace on a long travel flimsy shock there is bound to be flex/twist throughout?

:hmmmmm
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    holy shit ! 95 miles ? 40 mph ? looks awefully thin down there, hello, bmw, you might want to notice a few thousand ADV folk are pressing the 'do not buy' button right now.

FIX IT BMW
  7. antiquewidow

antiquewidow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup , still here peeps..

Really stinks when you are usually in bed at 10pm and ur still up after 12am. Cant get comfy - feel like screamin...this really BLOWS big time..I just want to zzz off right now....
    my fingers are so swollen it hurts to type..my ribs ache when I breathe - 1 1/2 days of this n I am already exhausted of being in agony........OUCH!

but Im still readin -
  8. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell, I've seen bikes bite it at the track tumbling end over end, 10 feet in the air each bounce, and hitting a wall. Forks bent back hard against the frame, wheel twisted like a pretzel, yet the forks still didn't break like that.

I understand all things mechanical can fail. That's crazy.
  9. _vortex_

_vortex_ snow snow snow :(

Oddometer:
    Is it just me, or is the axel bent?

I'm having difficulty picturing how the fork failure bent the axel like that.

But if the axel was bent before the crash (say, packing crate mishap, who knows) that would certainly have stressed the hell of out the fork.

Of course damn near anyone near the bike should have seen a serious messup like that before it was sold.
  10. jake28

jake28 Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer:
    My advice: stop posting now and lawyer up. Seriously, you won't help your case by posting things online that could be turned against you.

Oh, and Vicodin.
  11. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    That axle does look bent in the images. So much so that assuming it isn't a function of the camera angle I wouldn't be surprised if the axle was in two parts. If the axle was faulty and fractured within the wheel the force could easily break the casting, especially since there does appear to be a casting fault at the bottom of the fracture where it appears that paint has almost penetrated to the inside of the fork leg.

I'm guessing that this is one of the new G650's. Very much an entry level priced bike for BMW and I would expect most of the parts to be made in China even if they are badged as Showa. Chinese parts assembled in Germany.

Antiquewidow, if you like to ride in jeans research "Draggin' Jeans" and similar. Kevlar reinforced at knees and seat they give you far better protection than denim alone. Have a look at how they demonstrate them:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKzAORD35I
  12. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any way to add a link to the bmw portion of the forum. ill bet most of those that view that forum wont see this.
    you need decide what you want to do . lawyer up for pain and suffering and medical bill plus lost wages.
    i would contact bmw directly to see what they are going to do.im thinking replace the bike or full refund(probaly opt for refund).if your hiring a lawyer dont give up the bike until the lawyer can have it inspected.
  13. southern cross

southern cross WARDY

Oddometer:
    I'm not a metallurgist but my money is on 1) Alloy is not to specification.
    2) Possible axle failure.
    3) Possible bearing failure.
    4) Someone in the B.M.W. chain, not
    sleeping well.
  14. sop

sop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Research the legal doctrine: Joint and Several Liability. It matters not what factor(s) caused the fork to fail, which party in the entire chain of design, manufacture or sale is/was negligent, or whether the failure was due to poor design, inadequate metals, damaged components, improper assembly, or poor dealer set-up or adjustment.

Document your injuries carefully. Take lots of pictures or videos, clearly showing the full extent of your injuries/scrapes/bruises/swelling/road rash/effects and limitations on your daily activities/etc. BEFORE they begin to subside.

Have someone take photos of the accident scene, especially the road surface at the point where the incident took place.

Don't give any other statements to anyone unless advised to do so by, and in the the presence of, your attorney.

Don't let anyone remove, replace the damaged bike/parts from your (or your attorney's) possession. Don't have any repairs performed.

Accept no insurance settlements or sign any releases for the damage/total loss to the bike, even from your own collision insurance carrier (if you have collision coverage on your bike), and certainly NOT from the bike manufacturer's/dealer's liability insurance carrier/adjuster, IF any insurance payments/drafts state: "for full and final settlement of all claims".

Talk to an attorney and refrain from discussing these details and posting pics on an open forum.
  15. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Stupid question maybe, but shouldn't we be able to see the spring inside the fork leg here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The axle was bent, why? missing spring in right leg?

Come to think of it, let's say it WAS missing. Wouldn't that be causing the axle to bend exactly the way we see it in the picture here above?
  16. galland1

galland1 n00b

Oddometer:
    this
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    What does the dealer have to say ?
  18. Shaykon Qwinney

Shaykon Qwinney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The spring would be located above the dampening rod which is visible in the pic. The bent axle is tripping me out almost as much as the break. WTF?
  19. catang5oh

catang5oh Blithering Idiot

Oddometer:
    Yeh, that axle is bent pretty bad. You dont bend an axle just laying it down, i agree that thing had to hit something pretty solid.
  20. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    1. She didn't hit anything.

2. I've seen lots of bikes that have hit things and plenty of bikes that got catapaulted down the road after a crash, in 40 years the only time I've ever seen this type of broken fork slider at the axle mount was on these BMW's.

3. DO NOT LET BMW GET POSSESION OF THE FORKS!!!

4. Talk to a real serious product liability lawyer; I assure you that even the most aggressive lawyer that you can find will not be nearly as aggressive as the ones on team BMW already.

5. Don't post anymore info about the severe and life altering injuries (or lack of them) incurred when you were suddenly and violently slammed onto the pavement when the forks failed.

6. Ignore almost all of the advice and/or opinions posted here (except mine and a couple of other folks who are obviously questionable characters because they post on this forum).

Good Luck, and let us know what happens after the dust settles. :huh