Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Now we'll have to go back to filling a few pages per week with meaningful commentary instead of the troll bait chango inspired. Day-um!
  2. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks JD, that is one welcomed piece of news.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    To keep on track, I am sorry to report that Mexico is dangerous and now I believe it.<o:p></o:p>
    My son hurt his foot at a football game last Saturday (American Football, there is a huge league here believe it or not) and his ligaments became so inflamed that I took him to Hospiten for a visit with one of the best sports orthopedic Doctors around. Their two Hospitals are the Hospitals of choice with all Resorts both here and Cancun. We are lucky to have great Hospitals here in Mexico.<o:p></o:p>
    As I walked in I could not help but notice how many tourists were in the main lobby. Some were arguing to the staff wanting to see their loved one and to talk to their doctor. Some were sitting, apparently in shock, pensive and worried. More people checked in limping. One was being helped while walking and I could not tell if he was totally drunk or actually hurt, I later figured out it was both.<o:p></o:p>
    The place looked like a war zone, with casualties everywhere. I could not believe how many injured tourist there were. I later asked the doctor what was going on and he said it was typical, especially Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays when their vacation week was ending. Two patients had heart attacks, but most injuries were from falls at the resort (bar related) some injuries were from diving in shallow pools, two people crashed their ATV on a tour, a couple were boat injuries (what he meant by that I do not know, I didn&#8217;t ask.)<o:p></o:p>
    He said, "Well, it is the reason I could not see you until 7pm. I get to see most of them, as most injuries are usually foot/leg/hip/spine related. The majority of my patients are drinking related." He said with a big smile.<o:p></o:p>
    So there, I said it! Be careful in Mexico! It can be dangerous. Beer is ever flowing and at most times it is followed by many tequila shots. All it takes are a few drinks, wet tiles around the pool area and you could be injured. It is not as safe as your office cubicle at home, guaranteed. Throw in a motorcycle on top of that and it can be outright deadly.<o:p></o:p>
    Anyways, no one was there for gunshot wounds or violent injuries. Most were there for self-inflicted mishaps. <o:p></o:p>
    My heart goes out to each and every one of them. It was sad to see so many people who were obviously having a great time having their vacation cut short due to something as stupid as a fall. Very sad indeed :cry<o:p></o:p>
  3. terrapinneck

terrapinneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said, while on vacation just watching the people that think because the drinks are all-inclusive they think they gotta try to drink it all.
  4. subcomm

subcomm adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There exists a broad spectrum of opinion out there as to just how dangerous Mexico is for the motorcycle traveler.

Here in the "Is Mexico Safe" thread we respect both opinons. And we don't care if you change horses in the middle of the stream, that is to say, you once thought it safe to ride there but have now decided to take a pause on travel south. That's fine. Or, maybe reading about the adventures of the regular posters here you decide to saddle up and see Mexico and/or points south. That's fine too.

Many of us ride Mexico regularly. We love her people, her culture, her landscape, her food, her customs and often those things you just can't put your finger on. Most of us comment on how "safe" we feel once we cross the border out of the US of A and enter Mexico. There are some of us who only ride a couple of hundred kilometers inside the border, see a few things, and come home after a few days. Some, like Sjoerd, plot extensive routes inside Mexico and keep a history of off-the-beaten-path travels on a well worn map (he showed it to me at Casa Tricepilot). A lot of us have favorite areas of Mexico. Some of our current favs is the area surrounding Durango where SR lives, the area in and around Veracruz where MikeMike lives, and many of us enjoying my personal favorite part of Mexico, Oaxaca.

Not one of the regulars here say that travel in Mexico by motorcycle is without risk. Mexico is indeed in the midst of a drug war and some would say in certain areas the climate borders on civil war. BUT, and the reader of this thread has to listen here, the task is to size up the risk individually and make a personal decision to go or stay home. My decision to ride through Mexico to Guatemala in January is not a signal to everyone else that the same decision is right for them. Once in Mexico, I generally do not go out late at night to parts of town I don't know and stay late into the night. Others have this practice, its just not normally mine. Different risk management choices. Some people take great pride in riding solo in Mexico. I have ridden many miles solo in Mexico. Although under the current climate, and in a tip of the hat to concerns of Tricewife, I have modified my risk management profile to endeavor to ride with another rider as much as possible.

Participation in the Is Mexico Safe thread is not a stamp that those who regularly post here believe Mexico is without issues. Regular riders believe the risks can be managed and they press on. I have personally posted stories and follow-up commentary on those who have encountered danger in Mexico. I recently posted the letter to the editor of BMW ON magazine regarding the robbery near El Fuerte experience by Tope_Stomper and her riding partners. The more we share these actual, credible experiences the more data points we have to use to make our go/no-go decisions and to adjust our habits and practices on the motorcycle should we decide to press on. Based upon her report, for example, several riders reengergized their practice of spreading money around their bikes and once again committed to carrying a "throw-away" wallet. Stories like hers have a definite home here in this thread. Also welcome is commentary by anyone who takes in such stories and changes their attitude about riding to Mexico.

It is true that most of the posts here in this thread are by frequent Mexico riders. Out of that association a bond has grown and we look forward to hanging out at the "bar" so to speak and having a virtual coffee or beer together. And from that, many of us have met via this thread and have gone "downrange" across the Rio Bravo and gone exploring Mexico together. These days, what we often like to do is point the bike towards an expat's house in Mexico and go and enjoy their hospitality and share in the discoveries they've made and go meet and enjoy the friendship of their neighbors. We often meet here in virtual space to shoot the breeze, have a laugh, and do what most regulars do on all threads that have legs on ADV.

Don't think that all the while, we're not keeping an eye ourselves on the news, the State Department warnings, intel from those living inside the country, and sending PMs to each other with "what do you think?" We keep in mind what we read from everyone here who post "this happened to me" stories.

What is not helpful here is the broad brush on Mexico, one way or the other. The recent post including wording to the effect that Mexico "has the smell of death, eminating from its bowels" is a perfect example. This is disrespectful, untrue, insulting and does not make a contribution. We will address these posts and posters, and attempt to draw out a more meaningful dialog. By the same token, if anyone can send me a PM with a link to a post where a regular on this thread made any kind of statement that Mexico motorcycle travel is completely risk free and without concern, provide your address in that link and I'll send you a case of your favorite beer, and I will personally issue you a public nod that we haven't done our job here in our endeavors to keep perspective in balance.

Finally, to Arte.

Arte I hope you are not offended by reading what to me on certain occasions appeared to be insulting characterization of your country.

Mexico is deeply respected and loved by those who frequent this board. Thank you for your friendship, your hospitality, your ride reports, and your willingness to assist those who ride down to discovery more about your land.
  6. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I do live in a fortified neighbor hood!!!

Oh wait... it's all in my head.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Excellent post Tricepilot. If anyone was looking for a perfect time to close a thread, I think this would be the post to go out on.
  8. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Excellent post Trice: very well said!

we must have been typing at the same time, I would not intentionally have my humor following that...
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    As long as there are people interested in traveling to Mexico, this thread will be around :freaky
  10. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great post Tricepilot, you have ridden all over this Country and you have seen much more than I have (and I live here!) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I share much of the same opinion, but you can send me a case of beer, XX Amber if you please. I have ridden many kilometers in Mexico and I have never, ever, ever encountered anything remotely dangerous. <o:p></o:p>
    O.K. will I be disqualified if I mention wandering taxis, big trucks and donkeys etc. trying to kill me? :lol3<o:p></o:p>
    An inmate just started a Ride Report, he's off to a very interesting start. Let us all subscribe to his report and see what happens. I think he will be the best judge for us at this time. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801644 </o:p>
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  12. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    At 9,000+ posts, is anyone new likely to get this far? I have new posts at the top and 100 replies per page, and I still have to scroll like a crazy man to keep up.

Good move to copy your comments to the beginning!
  13. subcomm

subcomm adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    Trice,
    Excellent and very accurate comments!
    I have been traveling to Mexico for over 25 years have a ton of memories, loads of friends in Mexico and the desire to return is often as I can...
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Trice's excellent post has reminded me of my own process of arriving at the go/nogo decision to ride México and the role this thread and the RR's of several here played in that decision. Since that time over 2 years ago it's been my great privilege to travel with a number of different México riders of varying levels of experience and I have known no other travelers to posses a greater understanding of the issues involved in adventure travel.

I will miss Chango's many positive and entertaining posts and hope that his permaban will encourage all to avoid going toxic on this most excellent thread.
  15. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Is it just me, or could this site really use a "like" button.

Sometimes you just want to say "nice" without the song and dance of creating a new reply.
  16. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good post trespilotos.
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    It just gets better !

While returning home from our favorite Mexican restaurant tonight, my wife said to me; you've got to get moving and make our reservations for Mexico in January. To which I replied, "damn right".
    I'm glad someone,s thinking straight. :freaky
  18. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Trice it is an honor for me to have you as a friend, you have been a real warrior in this thread lightening all those riders wanting to come to México by 1st time with your deep insight and well exposed risk management.

When my local acquaintances find out that I ride often to different places in México, they have their eyes wide open and say: wow thats awesome! to know so many places of our country in a motorcylce, you are the men!...

then I said: No, I'm not. I have friends from the States and Canada and other countries that knows way much more than me from my own country and they do promote it so fiercely, that instead makes me feel ashame of my short traveling around México compared to them, I feel Honored because I know them, I talk to them, and some of them have visited casa Arte, they (all you guys) are the men.

arte
  19. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Well that was quite a dust up. :lol3
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    I look at "risk" in Mexico on two different levels, short term and long term. In the last five years I have spent more than five months touring Mexico, including over a month earlier this year. I will be leaving July for another four or five weeks there, plus I will be taking my cousin for his first trip to Mexico in November. :D And I will be passing through next January headed for Central America again. I guess that probably sums up my short term concern about "risk" in Mexico! :lol3 There are definitely things I do and don't do while there, but those things have been talked about many times here on this thread.

My big concern is what I see coming in the long term. If something don't start changing down there quickly, it will become the place some make it out to be today. I don't really know what to do about it other than complain! But it does concern me tremendously, not because I am a Mexico "hater", but because I am a Mexico "lover"! The longer banditos seemly operate "above" the law, the more banditos there will be and the wider swath they will take. Just my opinion. :deal But in the mean time, I will continue to travel and enjoying Mexico! :D