all balls bearing question

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by bigmd, Aug 17, 2012.

1. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey guys working on an 82 cb450 project.I ordered new steering head bearings and installed.it seems the top bearing race is fully bottomed out into the recess of the head tube but does not sit flush therefore i have no room for the nut that requires the spanner wrench.is this normal.i double checked and the package def states its for my bike,.i even cross referenced on the all bals site and its the correct part number.
  2. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should always compare aftermarket parts to the originals, or any parts for that matter, before installing them because now its too late. Are you sure the bottom race is seated properly in the frame and on the steering stem?
  3. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah definately rushed it/\.but i double checked and bottom race was not seated.i tapped it in and buttoned it up but now the bottom tree was hitting the head tube,is it safe to say i need a washer on the bottom before the bearing?
  4. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Maybe check with supplier or Ohio Cafe Racers .
    Luck,Ed
  5. bigmd

bigmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reread directions and it says washed may be needed
  6. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    All Balls misapplied the bearings for my vintage project, TX750. Chinese bearings at upscale prices.
  7. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Mine (for a cl 450) came with 2 washers, a thick and a thin. I used the thin on the bottom and the thick in my bolt bin. :D