Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    I rode tonight! Wheeeee!

Just a simple commute home, but it's been over a week. I managed to beat my old time up the damn hill that separates me from work by 4sec. Probably because I wasn't wearing my backpack or carrying a water bottle. Yay for no backpack. Boo for no water.

Back to work tomorrow via the pedal bike, depending on how much I enjoy my purchases due to LA Beer Week...

Feeling 'off', I'll take the moto.

Hangover = Pedal harder, bitch! I guess I like to punish myself.
  2. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    HAD two. Sold/traded em both.

Crap.:cry Well it was worth a try.
  3. Weirdo

Weirdo Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer:
    This is my 2010 Norco CRR1, a decent bike and I've done a lot of miles on it, but originally when the ISP was cut down it was cut just a little bit too short.

[​IMG]

Eventually I had the ISP up so high to get a proper fit that I cracked the tube, which sucked. Did a bunch of looking around for a longer topper, no luck. Read some posts on different sites about cutting down the ISP and putting in a traditional seat post and clamp set up. Not a tonne of info on pulling that off so it was looking like an end game for the frame.

Picked up my buddies Ridley race rig for a hell of a deal, this years and a traditional seat post to boot!!

[​IMG]

Put the Quark on there and I'm off to the races (literally)

[​IMG]

So with nothing to lose I figured what the hell, lets give the ISP conversion thing a go.

Cut down the frame post below the crack and then cut a slit in the back. Bought a seat post that fits exactly into the frame plus a clamp.

And done, works like a charm. There's lots of post within the frame so it's nice an solid.

[​IMG]

Now I have a spare rig:

[​IMG]

I'm going to keep a close eye on the slot that I cut in the post for cracks, but I think it's pretty solid.
  4. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drill a round hole at the bottom of your slot, diameter 2X the width of the slot. If you haven't already.
  5. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some pictures of the local residents at one of my favorite mountain bike trails:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A four foot Cotton Mouth viper, one of the deadliest snakes in North America:

[​IMG]

:1drink
  6. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    :huh gators are cool but that snake view me the heebiies. Thankfully none like that up here
  7. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've got four of them. Plus a Coral snake. :evil
  8. Weirdo

Oddometer:

Good call, thanks. Did already.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  10. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    In winter months I wear a thin thermal Underarmour base layer that wicks sweat away from the skin to a mid-layer where that sweat can evaporate. I also wear a windblocking layer over both of those to keep from cooling the sweat and making my core temp drop. eVent fabric is an excellent outer layering tool to evacuate sweat vapor but the price of entry can be steep. It is improved over Gore-Tex though.
  11. Ridge

Oddometer:
    All depends on how cold outside. Fall into late November is just usually a long-sleeved jersey. From Dec-Feb I'll supplement that with a merino wool or fleece layer. I also use a merino wool BUFF over my face and ears.
  12. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Everytime I see a bike with an integrated seat mast I shake my head. I know they are lighter and can be more aero but I'd just as soon have a fully adjustable seat pin.

Nice work on the repair, though.
  13. Weirdo

Oddometer:

Yup, knowing what I know now I wouldn't buy one again. Even just for resale reasons.
  14. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Rolled into the driveway in a great mood after knocking out 40 miles at a 19mph avg this afternoon. It was a solo ride with no stops or rest breaks. Opened up the phone and there was a message from Strava saying, "Uh oh, James the StickFigureCat1Racer just stole your KOM!".:rofl However, I shattered another segment and grabbed the KOM on that one.:ksteve I could care less really because what I'm really proud of is the fact that I passed a milestone today... 634 miles ridden this month so far. I don't think I've ever ridden more than 455 in one month, even when I raced 20 years (and 10-15lbs) ago.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/activities/85111345/embed/2eae5753baba06fb7b6c00fc82788ada13b281ff'></iframe>
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Well done Fullmonte. I've not ridden any of my bikes since the 14th. :huh

Coach said to leave them in the garage for a month and go find something else to occupy my fitness time. I picked running.

...my legs hurt like they've never been used before!
  16. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Put in a good 30 miles today, very nice outside, 70's and breezy with 1000 squirrels and chipmunks out. I saw more cyclists out today than I have seen in quite a while-- maybe they're trying to get some miles in.

The FSA crank sounds like a pasta machine now. Tic tic TICK - tic tic TICK- tic tic TICK on every revolution.

Chainset install scheduled for tomorrow if I get everything else done. Sounds bad-- like cups loose in the bottom bracket shell.

Are we still cutting chains so that when in the big front ring and smallest cog the rear derailleur is at 90 degrees to the ground or is there something new to know with 10 speed?
  17. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd been wanting to get some nice big panniers for shopping/hopefully some bike camping. There's a guy who who has some nice "classic" styled panniers made here in Iowa that are nice, but not very big. I'm thinking Ortlieb now... Anybody have experience with those?
  18. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    ortlieb is supposed to be some decent stuff but kinda pricey.

Axiom has some nice waterproof shopping bag/panniers, about half the price of the Ortleib stuff
    http://thebikesmiths.com/store/product/axiom-monsoon-lx_4e581ac9440d11314396873/
  19. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have more cold weather kit than anything else.
    Knickers and long sleeve jerseys for 50's-60's
    I add a wind proof base layer to that in the cooler temps, sleeve-less then long-sleeved.
    Below around 50 I switch to tights and a heavy weight wind resistant jersey with a base layer, and for freezing and below either multiple under layers or a wind breaker jacket on the outside.
    I hate jackets that flap in the wind though so I avoid those and use Craft base layers with the wind panels, with maybe a fleece jersey under the heavy wind resistant jersey. A water-proof outer layer usually isn't a requirement.

Gore has some looking nice heavy wind proof jersey/jackets.
    My heavy wind resistant jersy is a Castelli that I got from Sierra Trading post, but I've not seen the same one in any of the regular stock shops.
    I mix different combinations of all this stuff depending on my mood or what the weather is like that day (windy or not, sunny or not, etc).

You may want to consider cross country ski gear as an alternative to some of the bike specific stuff. It's sometimes cheaper.
    Also, all my bottoms are bibs, which gives you an extra layer in front, but standard shorts under tights can work well too.

The Camelback insulated bottles are nice for winter, helps keep the water from freezing.

I go out year-round when the roads are clear, but mid-winter that usually isn't the case, so on a practical basis I'm not often out in the teens and low twenties.
  20. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - started reading on Axiom and came to read on Lone Peak. Made in the USA, expensive, but apparently built to last. I'm young, I don't mind spending more to get the best if it will last forever :lol3