2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Yep, already thinking about that, Yossarian!
  2. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    Why are people so concerned about making a 400+ lbs motorcycle lighter? It doesn't have the TE suspension, and it's over 150 lbs more than an offroad vehicle should weigh. So, what's the point if you get it from 407 to 360, seriously? If this is a concern, why not buy the TE511 and shorten the suspension 4-5" and get a more comfortable seat made?
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Where do you even begin to answer such a question, if you cannot tell the difference when a bike weighs 50 lbs less? :huh

But I'll try cause I'm nice like that: the idea is to have a bike that is not a fat overweight pig (407 lbs) yet does not need an engine rebuild every x,000 miles like the TE (maybe 1x,000 if you are lucky?).
  4. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Specs say it has a Marelli EFI.
    The BMW's have Bosh, right?

Husky's EFI's are tuner friendly, correct?

My X-Challenge like many modern BMW's was plagued with stalling/starting EFI bugs and BMW's locked down software sucked.
  5. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    Because it's still not going to be the off road worthy bike people seem to expect. It's like starting backwards and never getting it to where you want, but you can actually take the TE and make it something you want and it will still weigh 50+ lbs less than the Terra and be better both on and offroad.

Does anyone have stats on engine rebuild with the TE's, or is this just speculation, because if you check the things done to make the BMW engine get 10+ more HP, it looks like it puts in in the same realm as needing work done as the TE. Over a 12 on compression.

I tried this on my DR650 years ago, and it NEVER really became more capable. Lighter headlight, rear fender, now this shoria battery, lighter exhaust. It's still a pig with lipstick. Sure, i can tell when a bike weighs 50 lbs less, but if the suspension isn't made to hack the terrain, and the cases get hung up on things a TE won't, the point is you got the wrong bike. Believe me, I'm seriously looking at this as a contender, but I can keep my DR if I want a passenger, and get the TE because it's just more capable overall.
  6. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately that rear plate/signal holder looks a lot like the one they put on the X-Challenge.

I hope this one is a bit more sturdy and does not get sucked up into the rear wheel like the X-Challenge one does.
  7. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    I'm not even looking at the plate hanger, I think the whole back end is too street. I still prefer a nicer looking MX style fender that's on the TE's and TXC.
  8. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. To me, a rear fender is actually an important part of the bike. I know street bike guys could care less. But I want something that actually keeps some roost off my back and carries the license plate up out of harms way. I would end up with a BD fender and light setup because that weird license plate hanger thing is just wrong. But then I am more of a TE kind of guy anyway and that bike clearly isn't aimed at me.
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
  11. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    £5800. I think the euro is currently 1:1, pretty much.

FFS folks, this is probably the best factory-produced single available, and £1200 less than a KTM 690.

There's no pleasing some people!
  12. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
  13. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Stock pics of the Terra show a bashplate :confused
  14. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:

he was trying to get it under 400lbs so he took it off :D
  15. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    That truncated rear section with the extended plate hanger is how the the X-Challenge was too.

The plate hanger is a quazi fender, but a skinny crappy one.

[​IMG]
  16. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    And good thing he removed all it because it's up so high, it was really effecting the CG negatively.

I'm looking at the TE630 now, and other than BMW trying to ditch spare parts, that's the only reason I see them replacing the 630. Both 630 SM and TE were better bikes in weight and suspension. Not sure about HP, but 20-30cc's couldnt be that big of a difference considering the weight.
    The only thing that was wrong with the 630's is that ugly headlight and front fender in the last few years or so compared to the 610 setup.

[​IMG]

And despite me not caring for these flimsy front fenders, this headlight setup was awesome looking.
    [​IMG]
  17. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    As long as this is not a complete POS, I think I'm in for this one.

One of the few new model moto's I'm REALLY interested in seeing in 2013.
  18. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I really dont know anything about the TE610/630... I had heard the 610 especially had some real maintenance issues, but that could be BS... so I guess my question would be ..what is the maintenance schedule for a TE? The Rotax engine in the new bike is legendary for its reliabilty.. 3k between oil changes and known bikes with well over 50k miles on them with no rebuild... Plus the new 650 seems to be sporting a real rear subframe capable of handling adventure style luggage.. what dit the TE bikes have?

I always thought the TE 600's should be good lightweight adventure bikes, but you certainly dont see a lot of them on RTW ride reports??? Not poking a stick at them.. seriously asking the question.. what are the shorfalls of the TE600's for RTW style riding?
  19. Ol'NumNuts

Ol'NumNuts A Bloke and his Akita- Flynn

Oddometer:
  20. Ol'NumNuts

Ol'NumNuts A Bloke and his Akita- Flynn

Oddometer:
    For me, it's all about the Farkles...

For me I want to get 'off the beaten track' but not up the billy goat tracks.

I want to take tent, pad, chair, stove, etc and enough gear to be comfortable, etc and have some protection for the enevitable 'lie downs' the bike will have from time to time.

I guess I see this as the bike I hoped the Serteo would be, in the 'next' model....

I see no advantage in trying to shave weight off the base bike, for what I want to use the bike for... I'd rather put the money into better lighter gear and save the weight that way...

We shall see...