ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. EVELKNIEVEL

EVELKNIEVEL Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone installing studs for winter riding? What tires are you using?
    Garrett
  3. juvander

juvander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have these Trelleborgs waiting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the maxxis ice tires.
  5. mnsnowhawk

mnsnowhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is what I use for winter riding.[​IMG]
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    :eek1
  7. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Wow, that Timbersled setup looks pretty wild. Have only had a chance to ride a 2moto bike and that was pretty fun.
  8. mnsnowhawk

mnsnowhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 2moto doesn't even compare to how well the timbersled kit works. If you get a chance to try one you will want one for sure. I've been riding snow hawks since 03 and got my 500 exc with the plan of getting a timbersled kit. Check out the vids on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIW1Iu6-A4
  9. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trelleborgs are scarce right now here in Canada, there's a waiting list apparently. I'm going to stud up a set myself but I'm wondering about a good tire to use. The lugs on the OEM tires look marginal. I think I need a set that have taller lugs. I'll look into the Maxxis ice tires. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Garrett
  10. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checked the valves today on the intake side there were a little snug when I put the .004 gauge in and when I tried the .05 I could not get it in. The .003 was loose with no drag. On the exhaust side they were in spec . Just wondering if I should do anything yet on the intake side?
  11. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    I did an IRC MB5. I also studded a Kenda Millville Sticky, which Kenda says is a suitable tire for studs. Both were great, although my only fault was not drilling the holes deep enough for the studs to insert fully ( I had to get the drill back to the shop before I even got the stud gun). If you are doing them yourself, use an old tire and get your tire drill set for the right depth before you give'r on the tire you are planning on studding. Studs came from Bruno Wessel (or a Canadian distributor of his, I can't remember).

Try talking to MXcollector on Albertadualsport, he may even have some Trellies for you.
  12. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    KTM released the parts for their 20L Fuel tank this last Wednesday. Part #'s 0017060253 x4, 78107088014 x1, 78107088017 x1 = $20.78. Hope the info helps..
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  13. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.. Curious how many hours everyone has and how well the valves, cam and rocker arms are holding up on the 500s. Im still curious how many hours people are really pushing the top ends on these bikes.. and hopefully no grenades :kboom
  14. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:

Glad it worked for ya!

When I first looked at this pic, I was thinking....huh, where does this go? :huh
    Now, I see how these could be kinda cool to bring the lady along.
    Pretty dang neat.
  15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Exactly the same top end as the 530's. They held up great if you kept after the air filter and didn't have an early 08 version with weak rings. I've seen one run for 60 miles in a race with no oil. It only needed on rocker and the plastic chain guides replaced. The valve train is all on roller or ball bearings, no slippers, no plain aluminum bearings.

Keep after the air filter. A tiny amount of dirt will effect the intake valves and they'll tighten up. More dirt or sand will get the rings/piston/bore. Get two filters and swap them out frequently. The original TwinAir is better than the NoToil. The Motorex oil is much better than NoToil also. TwinAir has an extra/optional dust filter that works for dusty or long rides. ALWAYS check around the sealing surface to absolutely MAKE SURE you have it installed correctly. It will fit perfectly or it will have a gap big enough to stick your hand in. I'd expect this topend to go over 20k miles with good filter replacement.

A friend has a 2012 500 exc with 7500 miles, mostly two track and pavement. It runs better than mine with 2000 miles.
  16. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
    thanks man for the info
  17. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like it would be a lot of fun, but id want more motor.
  18. mnsnowhawk

mnsnowhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You would be surprised how well they work. As far as more motor, I've got this. [​IMG]
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The knobs all ripped off at 1 time on the stock front tire on mine,with not many miles on it,they seem like a weak tire. I would get a set of real tires for studs.
  20. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for confirming that. I had my doubts they'd be any good for studding.

Garrett