Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Trust me, having an engine going up hills is funner than pedals, part of me thinks I'm nuts for taking up bicycles...but I'm in need of something that keeps me working out and in shape. It's actually a good compliment to offroad, I'm finding...different skill set but trails are trails.

You're welcome to my tracks from the big bike ride earlier this year...leaves out of Danville and hits a lot of gravel and back roads, includes Bat's Nest and Stone Quarry...meanders down to Coshocton and eventually down to Wills Creek (although it doesn't include the main corridor of the trails there), it goes right along side them on Wills Creek Rd. so you can just hop on there. The optional section to the east of Wills Creek is offroad, big gradual hill that's a bit like Stone Quarry.

http://www.localnumber69.com/temp/BBA_Preview/BBA_II_Route.gpx
  2. EJV

EJV Jeep. Supporter

Oddometer:

I'd do it (follow). Beat the hell out of the Tenere again. I can have the knobbies back on by then. I have no idea where to go. The GPS turns on and shows where I am.

Sat?

EJ
  3. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm debating on whether I should upgrade the suspension on mine. I'd be interested in hearing what you did to the forks, and if you like it.
  4. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After hearing all of you fitness freaks talk about Mtn biking I figured I had better work on getting my ass back in shape. There was once a time when I loved riding bicycles (I was 9, lol). Seriously though, I start Chantix tomorrow to kick the cigarette habit. Knowing full well that most all quitters gain weight afterwards, I figured I will take my frustrations out by exercising. I haven't hit a gym in years and will start off by working cardio and my flexibility first and foremost. I will work into strength training in a few weeks to a month most likely. I have gained 100 lbs in the last 10 years and I know it will take a long time to come off, but I would like to get back to my fighting weight. :lol3

Not sure why I am telling you all of this, but I am excited about my health and fitness for the first time in a long, long, long time.
  5. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Simple, because now that you told US we will keep asking how the workouts going. :deal Go for it Adam!:clap

As for off road, rob and I had fun doing Tar Hollow today. For the first time I have no video and no photos. Rob kept me going to fast to get either out. :lol3

Well just one photo for those who did the Rail Road Tressel with me a month or so ago. Here's the look from below.
    [​IMG]
  6. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Good on ya, it's worth the effort...the older we all get the less forgiving our bodies are. I found it out first hand, my health was starting to really drag me down and cost money...in addition to just hating the way I felt and looked.

I'm big into the P90X stuff, and not because I'm rah-rah about any one program but because it's cheap, easy, and a great overall workout that promotes fitness and strength and doesn't require a gym, or a trainer, etc. It's easy to tailor, and you can't plateau on it. You can do it with a chair, a towel, and some resistance bands.

A lot of people see the ads or hear about it and are freaked out because it's so high intensity (which it sort of is). But, given my limitations when I started it, I can attest that anyone can do it. You don't have to go full bore, or do the entire workouts at first, just the cardio/stretching/core stuff alone is great to acclimate yourself to getting back in shape.

When I started it, I could barely do 20 minutes of an hour workout...I would start breathing shallow and pass out if I kept going. So, instead of worrying about it I just kept doing what I could and each time trying just a little more than last time. Bit by bit. Took me 4 cycles of the 90 day workouts, but I'm finally breathing well and able to keep up with the best of them.

I don't even follow their diet strictly, because I'm more about a sustainable, realistic diet...so I just watch my intake, fat, cholesterol and eat balanced...no cutting anything out or stunts, just eat a little better and make sure I work more than I take in.

I used myfitnesspal.com to get a good grip on what I should be eating calorie/fat wise, it's got a great database and easy tools, and once I established a "normal" I just sort of stick to that. The eating right is the hardest part, IMHO, but once you get into the working out regularly it seems a lot easier to feed your activity level than to lose weight solely by restricting diet. Heck, at the pace I work out now I have a hard time eating enough...which is a hell of a switch in my life!

Anywho, I wish you well!
  7. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    Sup, dood :wave

Cigs are bad man. Good onya for giving them up.
    I quit dipping Copenhagen cold turkey after 16 years in '98. It was the hardest thing I ever did :kboom
  8. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link and the words of encouragement. I still recall you describing your first week of P90X as something like curled in a ball and crying? Ummm Yeah, I had better work up to that.
    :lol3
  9. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks John. I fear the worst, and I hope my family is patient with this. I did tell the wife that since I will be saving almost $5k a year that I will be putting that into a separate toy fund. I told her what is the use of growing old if I dont have cool shit to play with!
  10. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I would have told my ex that she would have told me "Good, I've been wanting a boob job."
  11. rob748

rob748 resident alien !!!!

Oddometer:

what a beautiful day for a ride, had fun today running some new and old trails and roads
    good job luke you have improved for sure :)
    [​IMG]
  12. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wont pay for things I am not allowed to play with whenever I want.

13. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    I never started again, because I never wanted to go through the quitting again :uhoh

Ya gotta have toys :thumb
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Go for it Whitey! I walked to work for the first time in over 2 years and it felt great. Plus I can pick up OT by arresting the drunks I walk up on in the dark. :lol3

I know dick about your forks but I'm off Sunday Nov 6, you wanna do Danville and work down to Wills Creek, I'm your huckleberry.

:ear
  15. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen brother.

I "teach" spinning/indoor cycling, I'm a certified aerobics instructor. (I'm looking at meefzah and dragoon and anybody else who wants to give me shit and saying "What?")

It's getting to be that time of year, short days, long nights, and difficult to play outside because of lack of light. I do a class every Wednesday morning at 6 AM in Zanesville, and I also do a class at 8:30 on Saturday morning in New Concord. Biking newbies are welcome and I'll treat you right including free classes for awhile. If you want to get started or re-started on cycling, I can help you.
  16. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    It was brutal, but realize too that I was starting on lung capacity that was 60% below someone my age and weight should have had...it was like working out with a wet sock taped over my mouth.

The workouts themselves are bread and butter stuff...but the pace is murder.

If you get to a place where you're up to 20 minutes of solid cardio, you could do it. I've seen lots of testimonials on the web from people in pretty poor shape that started right in.
  17. QUICKDRAW

QUICKDRAW Bug Murderer

Oddometer:

I think Larry and I are going to ride the GS's up around Danville tomorrow. If I don't put a hardwood floor in this weekend, I will be in for heading back up there over the weekend. I'll lurk here, or give me a call.

-Shawn
  18. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Ok, where is this place at again? Looks like somewhere I want to get some dirt to bring back home. :D
  19. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    OK ..... looks like we've got some interest ....

Sat or Sun is the question. Looks like EJV would prefer Sat, Mark = Sun, I'm good for either and it sounds like Shawn/Larry could do either, if not trying to carve bamboo splinters out of their fingers.

EJ? Is Sunday totally out for you?
  20. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    You can find all the details in this thread here.

But, the executive summary is:

a) found take-offs from a 2000 Husqy WR250. These are Marzocchi Shiver 45mm USD forks ... same basic construction as the F800GS forks but with Comp and Reb adjusters.

b) Machined fork bottoms on the F800GS to accept the Comp adjuster from the Husqy forks.

c) Gave the OEM fork bottoms/tops and the Husqy cartridges to a willing suspension tuner and had him respring/revalve for the higher weight of the new bike/rider combination.

The Husqy cartridges in the BMW fork tubes will allow an increase in travel from the stock 9.05" travel on the F800GS. I don't recall the max increase but I had my guy shorten the stroke to allow for only an extra 1" of travel .... so now I have ~10" of travel up front.

I jammed the forks up the triple as far as I could to level out the bike, but I'm looking at an Ohlins rear shock with some mods to give me some more travel out back.

Hopefully I'll be able to give some feedback after this weekend.