Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certainly reinforces the point that just because 1 bike may be great for one person, doesn't mean its a great bike for someone else.

2. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Husaberg (well, the engine anyway) is toast - or at least in need of more attention than I can give it at this point. I don't have the time right now for a big project, so it'll have to wait a month or two...

For those that missed it - I had a coolant host burst. At 70mph. After riding 200+ miles in Death Valley a couple of weekends ago. Fortunately I was only 3 miles from camp and got towed in - by 'Lost Rider' (Finn) on his Husaberg. The only thing that stopped my bike was that the increased temperature of the cylinder after the loss of coolant, melted the fuel line quick-disconnect fitting, causing fuel to piss out, losing pressure and cutting the engine. Quite dramatic.

So, I replace the visibly damaged parts (cylinder head temp sensor and split coolant hose) and dived in a little deeper...

Drained the oil - what little was left. It smelt quite burnt. Lots of soft debris. The bottom screen filter was completely clogged.

To confirm it was (or wasn't) clutch material, I pulled the clutch. All the plates seem good. Plenty of wear left there.

The top-end screen filter (the one that screws through the banjo bolt in the head is toast - it's detached from the banjo and wedged in there - won't come out.

I'll pull the filter tomorrow maybe, see if there's anything more to learn there.

I refilled the coolant after replacing the cyl-head temp sensor and the split hose. There might be a leak from the head gasket, just below the exhaust - I'll find out in the morning if there's a pool of coolant in the catch pan under the bike.

If I pull the engine - which I'll probably do - does anyone have any recommendations for top-end service. Will it need a new piston/rings too? I'm in the SF Bay Area, but I could easily deliver it to the Sacramento area too.
  3. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    after blowing the hose and continuing to ride it until it melted the fuel line and coolant sensor, i'd say you'll be very lucky if a "top-end service" will solve your problems. the bottom end will have suffered from oil starvation.

sorry you did that to your motor. :norton
  4. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just scored a P3 carbon fiber skid plate NIB on eBay for $99 shipped!! Not sure if they have more, but it's worth a look! These sell reg. for $220 [​IMG]

Life is good!
  5. Koko

Koko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Score! What was the seller?
  6. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Handlebar Motorsport

Life is good!
  7. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:

I just looked and I don't see anymore P3 ones, but I do see Moose has one for $159. That's not a bad deal either if they make them like the Pirie

Life is good!
  8. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    My old P3 has 3 years of smashing over rocks and logs and it's just starting to splinter a bit. I always used aluminum and I'm lucky if I get a season before it's so twisted it won't fit back on.

Life is good!
  9. Koko

Koko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OEM Map Switch question...

I found the the three settings that matter 0 - 1 - 2. Then there's all the other extra numbers that don't matter. My question...how do I know what map I'm on? I couldn't feel indentation clicks to count it out. There is no arrow on the housing I could see.

How can you tell what map on you're on?
  10. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl If you're like me and your bike likes to take trail naps too, check out this new product from Trailjammer Designs for the '09-'12 FE390,FE450,FE510,FE570 Berg's. It'll protect your OEM clutch cover so you won't punch a hole in it leaving you stranded w/no oil and metal in your engine. ADVinmate Rensho helped me get these out to you. Thanks! Free shipping for ADVinmates. Spread the word. It looks similar to this picture of the WR450F. This product is so new, I don't have a picture of it on a Berg yet. sorry for the self plug. just wanted to let you guys know.
    [​IMG]
  11. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:

Look really hard! Small white dot. [​IMG]

1-slow
    2-fast
    3-0-medium

Life is good!
  12. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] I keep it on 1 for the woods around here (mines a 570). The mid and high make it scary to ride in the tight stuff with 13/52 gearing.

Life is good!
  13. MarioLion

MarioLion Bloodbath is Mudbath

Oddometer:
    got my Berg last week. Its a '11 FE 450 and im loving the hell out of it!

great bike, its a beast and it got tons of low end torque and the touchy accelerator is amazing

One thing though that i noticed was: i got a fair bit of dust on my air filter in only one 80km ride, it was a fast paced ride on a very dusty dirt road, but it this normal? or maybe my seat was not put on properly?
  14. Koko

Koko Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you very much. It's nearly warn off on mine! Can't wait to see the differences in the maps.
  15. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:

They've listed another one on eBay. Still $99, but no more free shipping. I bought one a few weeks ago when they were offering free shipping.

I have started to see dealers beginning to liquidate their Husaberg branded stuff and related parts. I have been taking advantage of the clearance prices and am picking up parts as I can before they become difficult to find and priced accordingly.
  16. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    dust and dirt bikes kindof go hand in hand.
  17. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    How is it attached to the case?

18. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just use a good silicone sealant. Clean the case with alcohol -- same with the inner surface of the case saver cover. Spread a uniform layer of silicone on the inside of the cover and press it in place. Clean off the excess that will squeeze out and let the silicone cure. I've done this to a DR650 and a DRZ400 a number of years ago. They're still tightly in place.
  19. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks JWDUB! That's a text book perfect explanation. Very easy to install.
  20. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

stop that crazy talk