Honda silverwing

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by t6pilot, Jun 2, 2012.

1. mrnoitall

mrnoitall Banned

Oddometer:
    It wont effect the amount of torque the engine produces but it if you do not believe it effects the torque that it "transferred" to the rear wheel, try taking 50% of your rollers out and see what happens. The point of changing the rollers (for most) is to get the engine rpm into the peak torque/horsepower range. If the pullys are desgned to operate (open and close) at a certian rpm, or within certian perimeters, significantly changing the speed of that operation effects the torque transferred to the rest of the transmission/wheel.

and at the same time getting you in a higher gear faster.
  2. mrnoitall

mrnoitall Banned

Oddometer:
    double post
  3. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Ecology/emissions regulations make most of the bikes like that..
  4. mrnoitall

mrnoitall Banned

Oddometer:
    :huh. They can't produce a scooter free of excessive vibration due to the EPA?
  5. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:

we were talking about why they put 'wrong' weights in there.

weghts=revs=emmisions..
  6. Maytag Repairman

Maytag Repairman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been shopping for a new bike and have recently taken a look at some maxi-scooters.

I have to say after sitting on a SW, a Burgman, and a used TMAX that I love the butt stopper on the SW. It locks my rear forward and the handlebars push me back leaving me in the most comfortable position I've ever been in while sitting on a two-wheeled vehicle. :clap

I note, the Burgman was similiar because it's stopper is adjustable front-back. The TMAX sits further back and didn't appear to have any adjustment. Despite the TMAX's stopper sitting further back I found I could reasonable sit further forward and get about just as comfortable but might find myself hunting a bit for that sweet spot and hopefully not sliding around too much while riding.

Unfortunately, it is kind of hard to get a test ride in my area because the dealers don't have demo bikes and like to keep their bikes dry until purchased. Based on the seating position alone I keep telling myself I should get the SW though I don't find it as attractive as the TMAX. The dash also looks dated compared to the TMAX.

I've ruled out the Burgman because at Burgman USA I've read about a few (possibly rare) instances of catastrophic expensive repairs around maybe ~50k-ish miles.
  7. honda_silver

honda_silver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some one had a Silverwing with 298,000 miles ... till a cager totaled it.

Only normal maintenance and a few replacements were needed.
  8. elamofo

elamofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TMAX has three settings. If you pop open the seat there are 2 screws that are accessible from underneath. You unscrew them, move the stopper and rescrew it in. Not the best design but you probably will never move it after you get it where you want it. That said, the furthest back may still not be back enough for you or it may be something that you love after riding it for 500 miles. You could also get a corbin seat for probably any of the scooters you looked at.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
  9. Maytag Repairman

Maytag Repairman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I downloaded a manual and I see now. The extra holes are in the bottom of the backrest itself.

Does anybody know if the forward-most position gets you nice and snug to the handlebars? Unfortunately, for me it may have to wait all the way to the next weekend before I can get over to a dealer that supposedly has a left over.
  10. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally found the three positions to be: 1) Wrong 2) Wronger 3) Wrongest.

The seat and the backrest/buttstop thingy were my only disappointments with the TMax. I cut the offending area out of the seat base with a recip. saw and sent the remainder to Russell to do their Day-Long heated leather magic on it...

[​IMG]

Now it is scooter heaven. I have been riding BMW's for over 40 years, but I don't think I would be brave enough to lay down for one of their first year models. In fact, with their performance lately, I may have bought my last BMW. The Yammie was been wonderful although it is about to get a balky fuel pump replaced. I'd go with a S-Wing / Burgman / TMax - whichever floats your (her) boat and let the BMW prove itself. I don't like the idea of being a beta tester for BMW at full retail price.
  11. Buckeye67

Buckeye67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree with all, I had a deposit on BMW but pulled it for reasons given, put it on a silver wing and have enjoyed the bike. :rofl

I have known those who have such a bike and they love theirs...so far so do I , it is a reliable bike and beats the price of the BMW and am also concerned about those issues previously expressed..

Roll on....
  12. Gabby1951

Gabby1951 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon (or good morning to those from across the pond and beyond), everyone! I've spent the last week reading many posts and, hopefully, getting up to speed...no pun intended. Compared to some of y'all (yes, I'm a Southern Belle from Arkansas) I'm a newbie to the scooter world, too. Hubby and I bought Honda Reflexes for each other for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2005, so I've only been riding 7 years. However, I put over 38K miles on my 2003 Silver Wing and I'm now working on putting that many on my 2009. I've been a member of the Patriot Guard Riders since 2006 and am a USAF veteran. I look forward to spending a lot of time with you guys!! :-)
  13. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I've got a sliver wing which I'm selling but I think it's one of the best bikes I've ever owned. If I rode solo more often I'd keep it, but I ride 2up 90% of the time and my wife and I are well above the weight limit. Otherwise it's great. Between my givi top box and the under seat storage we've got 6 bags o groceries on the bike.
  14. Gabby1951

Gabby1951 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's an easy solution to the problem, Domromer...your spousal unit needs her own Silver Wing!! That's what DB (my spousal unit) and I have done since day one, and we've had a blast!
  15. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    At 4'11" not many bikes will fit her.
  16. snook1224

snook1224 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had one of these new in 2007. In Aus, it cost $12,000 new. It was stolen and burned after 6 months and since it wasn't insured, and they had only arrived in Aus, I went for a second hand Burgman 650 rather than cough up another 12k.

I think the instruments on the Honda look better, more bike like, and it feels more nimble on the road. It also has normal bike mirrors that don't get in the way of car mirrors and is more svelte looking + it's a Honda. I never wanted to own a Suzuki.

The Burgman is a fat beast and those fixed body mirrors are too low and can be a pain in traffic always having to pull them in to go through tighter gaps but I've got used to it now. I can't comment on the SWing's durability but my Burgman is on 33k now and has never had a problem. I ride it every day. The Burgman feels more solid on the open road at speed ... but I'm only adding 125 pounds to the mix. I don't remember the SWing, but the Burgman's standard hand grips are too narrow and need beefing up (heated grips do the trick) or you'll get sore hands over long distances. I have a Givi screen with the extra bits that go out over the hands. It's great in the cold and rain.

The Burgman has a larger capacity underseat and that manual gear selection thing - which I tried once. I don't see the point of it. It also has another button that immediately increases the revs 1000 over whatever you're at. I have used that a couple of times when cars have wanted to race and I just like to show them briefly that they have no chance before I let them go :rofl

I read quite a few tests comparing maxi scooters and testers often said that the T-MAX was the most bike-like of the lot. That it had the closest to motorcycle handling in their opinions. I've never ridden one. The seat height is too high. Don't think i'm missing out on anything.

I would like to try that new Honda 700 Integra though.
    http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Urban_Scooter/NC700_integra
  17. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I have been riding and maintaining motorcycles and small displacement scooters for over 35 years. Now due to a disability I am considering getting a maxi scooter. I have been doing a lot of research, and they all seem to be a maintenance nightmare, especially doing the valves. I have done the valves on several 16 valve sportbikes, and thought it was a PITA. But it is beginning to look like a breeze compared to a maxi scooter. I definitely want to stay with Japanese for parts availability. I am considering the Silverwing, Majesty, and Burgman 400 and 650. I will be buying used, so the T-Max is out of my price range. I have found several nice examples of the scooters above for $6500 or less, with under 10,000 miles on them. Can anyone tell me the valve adjustment intervals and procedure on a Silverwing?
  18. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you live? I traded a TMax to the Honda / Yamaha dealer in Athens, GA. It is a sweet one with HID and a custom leather heated Russell seat.
  19. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Other side of the country, Phoenix, AZ.