Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but they all suck. Hard.

:lol3
  2. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Wasn't so much about the Kings for me. Just a good video done by a fan.
  3. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    How original. :puke1

Many people have a problem with the fighting. I don't. It's part of the game. Alway's been a part of the game. And what fighting there is in the game today is a tenth of what it used to be. And that's good, too. Bench clearing brawls were just ridiculous.
  4. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    So 18,000 people are gonna pay $25-$125 for as many as 42 games a year just hoping to catch a fight? Not likely. You can go downtown at bar closing, spend a lot less money and see way more fights that you'd see at the hockey rink.

For more cost effective just to go: www.hockeyfights.com
  5. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Is the BMW National Rally in PA this week? Saw a few also
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Live seriously.

Oddometer:
    :amazon
    ...someone hit a nerve. :wink:
    at least this time its not me n meef arguing over traffic code.
  7. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
  8. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I was being tongue in cheek. Hockey is ok as a sport, but every hockey fan I've ever spent any time around got verbally more excited about the ass kicking than the play of the game. Maybe I just have always known neandrathals over the course of my life (I lived next to the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, Penguin fans and all that), but I've never known a baseball fan that counted the fights as the highlights of his viewing. Just sayin.
  9. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Me and Flagger:

[​IMG]

10. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Sort of :ymca

[​IMG]
  11. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    Speaking of traffic code... I got a ticket at an OVI checkpoint for no front license plate. The plate was mounted on the passenger side visor, facing out, and clearly visible from the front. The guy was nice about it. He said something about he had to write the ticket because his chief was watching. After consulting the ORC section 4503.21, is just says front of the vehicle. After checking section 4511, it does not appear that "front" is defined. I might just go to court to get this clarified, and I'm sure the officer would like the overtime these days anyway. Going to call and see what the fine is first, and make sure it's not a conflict of interest.
  12. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    Anyone going to this? Anyone been to one to know if it's worth going? I've never been, but then again, I never owned a BMW before last year either. I can't imagine it's a pirate fest. If it wasn't 6 hours of sweating on slab to get there, I'd be inclined to go investigate for myself.
  13. buildit

Oddometer:
    Take a photo of the vehicle with the plate located where it was at the time of the ticket to show it is visible and another to show it relocated to the front of the vehicle. Given the amount of people arguing the necessity of a front plate in Ohio at all I'd think it would be an easy win.
  14. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    I have no way of relocating it to the front. The car, an Audi, did not come with a front license plate mount. I just called. Per the Clerk of Courts: "The fine is $26, with court costs of $99. If I request a trial, the judge may impose a court cost of $134.99 at their discretion." I'm sending in a check, since it may end up costing me more even if the judge sides with me. Sounds like the county has found a way to pay for their OVI checkpoints so they can keep the state grant money.
  15. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    Are you are going to buy the front license plate mount, or are you going to risk another citation?
  16. Mr. 0

Mr. 0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, it was a joke. Just like I don't really believe 100,000 people pay whatever the cost of a NASCAR ticket just to watch a crash. In reality though, at either event, there are going to be folks who have no idea what's really going on and don't care to know. I do see this at CBJ games. Folks getting up to get a beer when a great play is developing, constantly playing on their phones, chatting while completely ignoring the game, etc. but when there's a fight everyone goes ape shit.

Just to be clear I am a hockey fan. I started with the sport in the mid-90's covering Pens games for my college radio station. I've followed C'bus since their inception. Unfortunately with a losing product on the ice and the OSU fan mentality of "if they're not winning every single game, they're not worth rooting for" there just doesn't seem to be as many real hockey fans around here as there are in say Pgh, Chicago, Boston, or pick your choice of Canadian cities.

Heck look at Winnipeg. They sold something like 13000 season tickets in 4 minutes or something crazy like that when it was announced the Jets were coming back. So yeah, there are plenty of true hockey fans, just not so much in Columbus.

Edit to add: It is a tough sport to follow closely. It's not like baseball where there's plenty of time to figure out what's happening. You've got a bunch of big dudes skating around at 30mph with a bunch of uncommon rules (like icing, for example) and a tiny little puck. It's just difficult to really figure out, as a fan, unless you work at it, or have someone explaining everything as it happens. I think that turns a lot of folks off too.
  17. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    this has all the makings of a bad kids show - "argh me whiteys"
  18. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Last summer I was pulled over in traffic after making jokes with my passenger about doing something the police would frown on. My buddy said "that state tropper might not find it funny". It went over my head,(I never saw him) the next thing I knew I was being pulled over. I knew I wasn't speeding or doing anything wrong (yet). When he asked the why question I litterally played dumb, I had no clue. He said I was missing my front plate. I told him he was wrong, I have a plate, he argued, we went back and forth a half dozen times. He unclipped his pistol and walked backwards to the front of the truck. Took a quick peek then walked past the door giving it tap and a smile and said "have a nice day".

All my friends who were dumb enough not to listen to me when I tell them to put their plates on, all got fined. Is it really worth the time, money and the hassle?
  19. buildit

Oddometer:
    I bet if you go to the dealer they have a bracket so you can become legal. I guess if you have enough $$$ for an Audi, $26 is chump change compared to the $300 a bracket might cost. :D
  20. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    I'm with ya. Some of the crowd just doesn't quite get when to cheer and when to sit down and drink their beer.

But, the atmosphere in that building can be awesome .. we had seats in the lower bowl for Game 3. Unbelievable crowd. But many games are snoozers due to the product, on the ice and in the arena. Country music at hockey game? Really? And please stop pandering to the OSU crowd with Hang On Sloopy and other stunts .... the NHL was the best thing to happen for me ... (other than wife/marriage) .... stop reminding me that this is small minded college town most days.