Free MotoGP Weekend for YOU!!!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Uncle Duke, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Uncle Duke

Uncle Duke Official Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Greetings Campers,

Uncle Duke here and the thread title is no hoax...as several of you already know. The MotoGP staff is once again requesting volunteers from ADV to perform F&C (Flagging and Communications) for upcoming Indy race, August 17-19. Here is the link for you to complete and submit and please DO NOT DAWDLE!!!!! IF you are interested in this truly rare opportunity, DO IT NOW! Here's the link: http://www.motogpworker.com/.

Okee dokey, so why am I asking for help here, at ADV? Good question as usually, a worker needs to have experience flagging events at local or regional events before beiong considered for an international event. But I have met a number of you who came out last year and, truth be told, I've known about ADV for some time and as far as I am concerned, each and every person on this Board has the Right Stuff, in my humble opinion. I vouched for all the ADV folks that came on board with us last year and everyone here should know that our ADV crew served above and beyond, learned our ways quickly and efficiently, worked exceedingly well under pressure, made instant and proper judgments and helped deliver the safest possible racing venue to the best riders in the world.

So once again, I seek your help for this year's Indy MotoGP. Once again, I will vouch for each and every person from ADV....just be absolutely sure that on your application form, you clearly state two things: first and most important, identify yourself as an ADV member and secondly, that you have been requested by Ken Browde to make application. Oh, and if you have any questions, call me, Ken Browde at my home phone of 517.626.7454 or my cell at 517.927.8023. And I promise to be more diligent in checking in here as well.

OH, one more thing. Please be assured that any and all newcomers will be placed with an experienced corner marshal, so no worries about being inexperienced. You will get training. You will get data sheets explaining our flag codes, which are a bit different from AMA or WERA. Its easy to learn. Its fun. Ya get to wear a bright blue Smurf jumpsuit for 3 days in either a blazing sun or a monsoon. You will be well-fed all the time.

And you will never, ever get a better vantage point for watching the absolute best racing in the world.

So what are you waiting for?

All my best and see ya at Indy!

Ken Browde/Uncle Duke
  2. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just tweeted that on my Twitter feed. Hopefully it helps.
  3. Uncle Duke

Oddometer:
    Cool and thank you! So are you signed up yet?
  4. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I'm already working that weekend, in the media center ...
  5. hulabaloo

hulabaloo hanging on.......

Oddometer:
    I can not wait to do this again!!! :clap
  6. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  7. gronk

gronk HIGH ANGLE RIGGER

Oddometer:
    Very High Above Ground!North of The 49th parallel
    Done ,hope I get picked!!!
  8. hulabaloo

hulabaloo hanging on.......

Oddometer:
    This really is a great opportunity, it was a lot of fun, the people were great, the behind the scenes experience is priceless!!

I really can't think of a downside unless you find standing side by side by THE most talented and exciting riders in the world to be a downside. There are moments like watching Lorenzo slide his scooter into the back of his pit space or watching Rossi "play" the crowds, passing Stoner on the stairs, watching Edwards mug for cameras, standing RIGHT on trackside as they pass it's just all good!

I am going again for all these reasons and so much more. It would be really great to be there as Spies wins. :freaky

It is hard work, you do start before dawn and finsh after dark and it is serious work but so worth the effort!
  9. Uncle Duke

Oddometer:
    If anyone here knows of a way to spread the Word to other sectors of this Board, well, please do so! We need a bunch of people and at this moment, I have only reached out to both ADV and my personal friends. If we can finish our staffing needs with ADV folks, well, that would be terrific! But it is first-come-first-serve, so to speak.

As always, if anyone has any questions, just call me or email me at Buffalo2stbreath@aol.com, or right here, for that matter.

Many thanks,

Ken Browde
    h: 517.626.7454
    c: 517.927.8023
  10. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Uncle Duke,
    I was so excited to complete my application, that I failed to note your request, for my application...:norton
    I did list my ADVrider member handle in the specialty request.

Thanks for this sweet offer!!
  11. Turder

Turder Throttle engineer

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend this to everyone who follows the sport. This is the best way to see GP bikes upclose and enjoy the event.

Regards from returning worker. Gonna be in the pits area this year:clap
  12. snowhawk jockey

Oddometer:

Thank you again for sharing this opportunity, Uncle Duke...
    I will see ya'll there!! :deal:clap:freaky
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every downtown Indy hotel is booked for MotoGP. Sheesh...
  14. rosco*d

rosco*d n00b

Oddometer:
    cheers! i applied for both either/or positions, wherever i can be more helpful!
  15. snowhawk jockey

Oddometer:
    Hotel? Who needs a Hotel? Wont there be plenty of semi trailers to sleep under like at a proper circus?? :D Guess I better look into that angle now, rather than on Thursday night...
  16. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? Few towns have more excess hotel capacity than Indy. What else is happening that weekend? :lol2
  17. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    GENCON is the same weekend.

I know because I am a gamer geek in my alternate life.
  18. snowhawk jockey

Oddometer:
    That is good news after all! My brother, a gamers best friend aka user experience creator/user interface developer, will have to be staffing his booth at the convention that weekend. Guess I'll get to room with him.:D
  19. ikeman

ikeman Serial Lurker

Oddometer:
    I'm already signed up for this year. :wings I got in last year by responding to Ken's post - thanks Ken!

Any of you that are sitting on the fence about this (or think Ken is blowing smoke) just DO IT! Indy and USAC run a first-class operation. This was the best weekend I'd had in a long time and couldn't wait to do it again.
  20. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I applied, have no motorcycle race worker experience, but have thought I wanted to start doing this when I retired fully and had the time. Hope I get the opportunity.

Patrick