Is it ok to filter to b 1st?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GSAragazzi, Sep 30, 2012.

1. PSYCHO II

PSYCHO II Crusty Demon

Oddometer:
    I get knocked down...
    <IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9oRLXQJqXdM" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    .:fishie

Your welcome......:lol3
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

That's legal even for cars here, if there is room and no fog line, some intersections have the fog line go to dashes within say 200 feet of the corner to encourage the practice.
  4. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    ironically, last night when I was riding home on the Speed Triple the traffic was very heavy and I was lane splitting down city streets to get home. About 50% of the cars on the street moved over to let me pass, and I thanked every single car that moved for me.

It's a cool system when it works....
  5. PSYCHO II

PSYCHO II Crusty Demon

Oddometer:
    Same here in Oz. The thing is that here you can only have one vehicle in any one directional flow. So without markings you could have one right, one left and one going straight ahead. Vehicles can not share the same lane in the same direction unless they are both motocycles.

It doesn't stop people filtering and some police accept it if done safely but a great majority simply issue infringement notices.
  6. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good point, also if safety were the deciding factor, then why does Texas not have a helmet law for over 21 yo's while California does? The safety argument goes right out the window!
  7. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Safety should not be the deciding factor, choice and freedom should.

Texas allows adults to choose whether or not to protect themselves.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

You sir, do not understand the liberal mindset!:deal

Jim :brow
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The safety vs freedom falls under the "the right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose". A fail at filtering/splitting is highly unlikely to cause injury or death to others, so "safety" isn't a real issue unless you believe people need to be protected from themselves.

Filtering/splitting is nothing more than using a smaller, more efficient vehicle to its best advantage, all the "safety" arguments for and against are just smoke and mirrors.

I dislike partisan stereotypes, but if the shoe fits............ :wink:
  11. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    You do not have to have a helmet if you are over 21 and have decent medical insurance.

However, I have never heard of anyone being stopped and questioned for proof of said insurance while riding without a helmet, so I guess in practice it is a pointless law.
  12. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Luckily, of all the conditions traffic laws are by far the least influencing one when it comes to motorcycling.
  13. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    I split here in TX when I feel the need, fuck the traffic and fuck the BS tickets.

I have passed a cop a time or two going down 35 from Denton to Downtown Ft. Worth. Did not even phase them. One, how are they going to catch you? They are stuck in traffic. :lol3

Anyone that has rode with me can vouch I think that way. I am not right, I know that, but I can use the "safety" excuse to get away with it.
    People here will TRY to cut you off (happens about one out of every 1,000 cars I pass), honk the horn and give you the single finger salute. I laugh knowing they are pissed they are still stuck in traffic. I even consider my I-45, highway speed (read 10 to 15 over) lane splitting behind 3 asshats all going the same speed and all 3 lanes blocked, I call it a public service. Why?
    Because one of the idiots slows the fuck down thinking I am running from the cops, thus leaving a gap for other motorist to make thier way around the 3 stooges. Now at this time traffic is becoming unclogged and returning to normal. My job is done here.

SO, you see, riding like an asshole is actually helping your fellow commuters and weekend shopping sheep.:clap
  14. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    Nope. Never had, never will. :cry

:lol3
  15. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    i all ways filter to the front of traffic were safe. as in the UK by law you can filter and car driver will move over and let you past.
  16. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    My answer to the original post would be No - unless you're in a state or area that allows it.

The guys who do it are usually young punks who are too lazy to spell out words, anyway (like "Is it ok to filter to b 1st?"), and who would want to be associated with that type anyway?

Really, I see a connection between that writing style and the punks... I'm sure the original poster doesn't though.
  17. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    Thanx! I take that as a compliment :ricky
  18. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    Me too! :clap
  19. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Let me tell you about the time I was slabbing home on 580 eastbound in the #1 lane just west of Pleasanton. Well, there is typically a huge backup in that area, going from 4 or 5 lanes doing 80mph to 4 or 5 lanes doing 5mph. There was a driver trailing behind me a bit that got my attention and sure enough PLOWED into the back of the vehicle that I was behind a split second before.

It was because I am comfortable in the space between cars that I'm here today, and for no other reason.
  20. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    And in a panic situation we typically revert to our training. :deal

So training to be comfortable in the gaps between cars is a better plan than not training and just improvising.

Whoda thunk it? :hmmmmm