The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know BMW posts the dry weight, however, I have always questioned what's the purpose of dry weight, for comparison. Comparison to what? You can't ride a bike with dry weight. To me, personally I look for all fluids along with gasoline (petrol) filled and ready to ride.

I suppose it will come handy if other manufacturers only post dry weight.
  2. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I agree and there is no formal definition of 'dry'. I hear some manufacturers exclude the battery on dry weight for example.
  3. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can understand your arguments.

But, if you want to buy a R1200GS or a R1200GSA, the wet weight doesn't give you a clear weight gap because the tank is larger on the ADV and perhaps some parts are also heavier.

It is also supposed that BMW weights his bikes in the same way and this implies the dry weight has some meaning (in same brand).

My question was : dry weight WC to be compared to R1200GS DOHC 203 kg (447 lbs) keeping in mind that the WC has an ABS in standard equipment.

By the way, what is the weight of the WC ABS ?
  4. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Gas weighs about 7 lbs/gallon, so very easy to do the math on the tank size/weight of gas between the GS and GSA. The GSA is a GS with bigger tank and some extra equipment, so not sure what you are getting at by wanting to know the weight of a GSA without the extra gas and equipment....its going to equal a GS.
  5. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    you are right, the dry weight will show how much "dead weight" there is between the 2 models out of the box.

The strange thing is that dry weight is given for all models but not for the new GS.

For me, the weight is one of the main variable for a bike, specially if you want to go in various environments.
  6. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As an engineer, when actual data is not available, you try to approximate as close as possible and leave some room for error. In this case I would find the difference in weight of current model 2012 GS/GSA using "dry", and do the same for "wet". Now you have 2 weights. Add 1-2 lbs for ABS (chime in guys if I am wrong in my ABS approximation). We are assuming that GSA gas tank will remain same as current. In the new, they might shave off 1-2 lbs using stronger and lighter plastics. This will cancel with weight added due to ABS. To approximate the wet weight of a new GSA, add the wet difference to new 2013 GS model. So there you have it. Similarly you could approximate dry weight backwards.
  7. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it becomes fixed variable, you can't decrease it but will only increase due to farkling etc. No matter which environment you go on the globe, it will remain static. Am I missing something here? Perhaps you are trying to figure out something that we don't know :dunno
  8. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D
    main variable for making your choice to buy or not... :evil

Why do you believe I have only HP2... :lol3:lol3
  9. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Specific Gravity of gasoline (petrol) is 0.739 Kg/L multiply with 20L = 14.78 Kg (32.6 lbs) -> weight of gasoline in the GS.
    1 US Gal gasoline = 1.629 lbs/L x 3.785 L/US Gal = 6.2 lbs.
  10. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Choice is rather clear. Don't buy GS or GSA. It's too heavy to ponder on :freaky
  11. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    when I had my R1150GS, I remember BMW said :

"The target of our technical staff for the new model is to reduce the weight by 30 kg (66lbs)" and they did.

When they did the HP2E,MM,HP2S the target was to reduce weight too.

I don't understand why the new R1200GS increases its weight again :huh

From my point of view, minus 30 kg again (-66lbs) with 110 Hp as DOHC has now was a better way to go.
  12. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    It could be due to a variety of factors.

We know the new GS weighs as much or more than its predecessor in wet form. The thought is as much as 29lbs depending on what option group the new one is being compared to.

Regardless, and as others (EJ?) have mentioned, why not subtract out the weight of the fluids and maybe even the battery to get an idea of the weight measurement you're after?
  13. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I was searching that info for another forum.

The fluid is 26 kg (57lbs) on the DOHC and 2,4 kg(?) for ABS

Dry : 203 kg (447.5lbs)
    Fluid : 26 kg (57lbs)
    ==========
    sub-Total 229 kg ready to go (504.5lbs)
    ABS : 2,4 kg (?) (5.3lbs)
    ==========
    Total : 231,4 kg (510lbs)

If the press relates 524lbs wet, it means 14 lbs more (about 6.5kg)

I'm not personnaly interrested, I know it will be too heavy for me :norton
  14. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW used to or still do (can't be bothered to go look) publish both dry and wet on their UK site. They also publish a maximum ladened weight as well.
  15. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, dry weight is present for all the models on all the national websites.

But missing everywhere for the new WC GS
  16. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checked and the UK site has the fully fueled weight on it for the WC. It's 238kg and is in the technical data section.
  17. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes, I know that.
    Dry weight is missing everywhere for WC GS, not wet (ready to ride) weight
  18. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok, excellent....onto the next. :deal
  19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    You know, it's kind of useless to discuss raw numbers that way. The 2006 V-Strom DL650 I had weighed probably 30lbs less than the 2010 R1200GS and it felt like it was about half a ton heavier ... and then again, the Super Tenere 1200 is about 40 to 50lbs or so heavier than a standard GS (both standard trim, no farkles), and still feels smaller and and possibly even lighter.

It's not only about the weight, it's also where and how it's carried.
  20. Dorsicano

Dorsicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a few of us are all obsessed about the pounds on our bikes and tend to disregards the pounds on our waist.

I could buy a 238 Kg GS LC and lose 5 Kg myself and the net result would be same as old GS and current me.