The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fit tucano handlebar muffs. Those and the Triumph heated grips and I'm wearing summer gloves on the 800
  2. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice wood shop and wood shop equipment. I'm envious. Especially of the spacious shop.
  3. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's been a 30 year dream come true. Hopefully have it fully stocked with equipment by the time I retire. :D
  4. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
  5. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:
    Nice job. What video/camera/lens are you using and how is it mounted?

Cheers,
    Jack
  6. shankopotomuss

shankopotomuss n00b

Oddometer:
    the camera is a Drift with the standard mount it comes with
  7. Miriam

Miriam Regal Rider

Oddometer:
    Real nice pics
  8. AtlantaDR

AtlantaDR Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer:
    Posted this on the Explorer Forum, but thought this thread could use a bump up, so posting here too.

A couple of months ago I scheduled a "ride-in" to the Corbin Factory in Hollister, CA. My goal was to get fitted for a seat that would give me the best characteristics of a Corbin, with the added value of some additional height for my 34" inseam. My first attempt was to have them add an 1 1/2 inches to their stock Corbin. Although the seat was extremely comfortable and my leg angle was great, the added height, combined with the extra width of the Corbin, made the reach to ground a little challenging. Reducing the height to 3/4 inches over stock, and a little trimming of the width gave me the reach to the ground, and still gave me a more relaxed leg angle. The other benefit was that the extra foam that was added was softer than their extremely firm base, giving me the best of both...a firm, solid foundation and a nice soft user interface, :)

If you have the inseam that can handle this, I would highly recommend this set up. I can ride all day with this seat. The other good thing about the Corbin is that you get to keep your stock seat, so I will certainly recover much of the cost of this seat by selling it to another tall inmate if/when the Explorer gets sold or traded.

Personal Stats: 6'2", 34" inseam, 52 year old who rides about 25K miles a year on The Explorer, V-Strom 650 and DR650.
  9. Pacific

Pacific Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw this post on the Explorer forum, and you've got me thinking seriously about the Corbin. I had a Russell on my last bike, and loved it, but the costs add up, with shipping both ways, plus the loss of the OEM seat. Do you have any pics of your seat? The pics on the Corbin site are very good, but I'd like to get a sense of the shape with the trimming, and also see the materials you chose.
  10. AtlantaDR

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is the one picture that I have, and it is not great.

I am in Atlanta and the TEX is in Los Angeles, so I will take some close-ups when I return in a couple of days.

The touch surface is a traditional black leather, the sides are vinyl as they suggest, and I did not do any kind of welts. I like the smooth, clean feel of the bike without the bead.
  11. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
  12. AtlantaDR

Oddometer:

BTW, this pic was taken while I was at the Corbin factory. There was another rider there who had these GIVI boxes on his bike that he let me try on my Explorer. I have just been using the E-55 and the E-41's off of the V-Strom, but these boxes are pretty cool. They are sturdy and well-made, and look much more natural on the TEX than the rounded GIVI's.
  13. AtlantaDR

Oddometer:
    Voluhzia, Great pics from your SS-1000. Would be interested in how comfortable the bike was for 1000 miles. Stock seat was OK? Windshield? Reach to the handle bars?
  14. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    Well, the standard seat, after 16000 miles in it, was OK. I had Touring screen with side deflectors from Powerbronze - no wind into chest. I have 20mm risers from SW-Motech... - my shoulders and hands themselves a little tired...

Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer
  15. samson70

samson70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey guys. Was wondering if anyone else experienced on and off buzzing noise coming fom either hanlebars or in between handlebars down and forward? I cant put my finger on it as to where exactly its coming from, but it usually happens between 2 -4 rps. Only when i excellerate.
    Any ideas?
  16. samson70

samson70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious if you are experiencing any noise on sides of your helmet with your height? Dont know if its my helmet but when I push helmet in while in cruise control noise seems to diminish.
  17. samson70

samson70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey man. I seem to be hating my oem trimph tank bag. Cannot stand up on pegs and its always in the way. You like It?
    Slava
  18. AtlantaDR

Oddometer:
    Yes there is a lot of wind noise for someone my height, especially at higher speeds. I have the Cee Bailley's 23" and it is extremelyu quiet if I lean forward and down a couple of inches. When I sit up right, it is very loud/dirty air. Not sure my next step, but I need something a little taller.
  19. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    http://shop.touratech.de/windscreen-spoiler-universal.html
  20. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    I don't like it and only use it for long trips. I also cannot stand on pegs with it on. I use handlebar bag from Wunderlich (made for GS) on daily commute

Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer