1000 Miles - Austin, TX to Scottsdale

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AntiHero, Nov 26, 2012.

1. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering going from Austin to Scottsdale in a day. I'm obviously looking for the fastest way to do it (that doesn't involve an airplane). Considering Hwy 10 is a main drug route, I'm guessing there's an abundance of police/radar traps? Looking for advice (or an alternate route) for anyone familiar with the region.

Also--looks like I'd have to go through Ciudad Juarez--does traffic get bad there even if you're not crossing the border?
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's roughly 1,000 miles. I've never seen LE presence out of the ordinary on I-10 on that route. A radar gun here and there buy nothing odd. There are CBP stops here and there however and they will involve the drug dogs around your bike as with any vehicle. Unless you're carrying dope don't worry about it.

How are you going through Cd. Juárez if you're not crossing the border? :scratch Look again. All you're doing is going through El Paso.
  3. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Tricepilot. And right you are. Google map zoomed out looked like it sent me through there, but just El Paso. :)

How much traffic/extra time is involved in going through these CBP stops?
  4. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Border patrol checkpoints are usually pretty quick. Keep in mind in that part of Texas the speed limit is 80MPH. Keep it under 10 over and you should be fine.
  5. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its 85 now on I-10 in West Texas. That will be a really unpleasant ride IMO. But I understand; after a long trip, its time to get home.
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're traveling with Willie Nelson :stoned you'll be there awhile :deal
  7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    1000 miles in one day on a Ducati Superbike--not sure how many have done that before. Definitely hasn't happened on a Panigale yet. So I figure empty road (hopefully) + higher than average speed limits (85? You've got to be kidding!!!!) and this could be my chance. Just have to avoid those bands of wild pigs that I keep hearing about people smashing into.
  8. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How far can you go on a tank of fuel?

At those speeds, it may take 4 or 5 tankfuls just to get out of Texas.

NFE
  9. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    1000 miles in a day requires riding steady, but does not require speeding. I-10 is used all the time for people riding coast to coast (in 50 hours). It is fast and easy. Try to time your trip through El Paso to avoid rush hour, though I have hit a wall of traffic at 1:00 before. Good tips on the Iron Butt website.

With a smaller gas tank I would certainly try to plan for gas stops ahead of time, based on the mileage you are comfortable getting out of a tank running 80-85. The website www.thenextexit.com is a good resource for planning gas stops on interstates.

I wear a flip up helmet, and am a white guy. At checkpoints I always kill the music (i-Pod remote) and flip the helmet up. I am always waved through with no drama at all.

As has been said, I-10 is kind of boring. Do you ride out there for the IBA certificate (I'm assuming that's what we are doing here), and then take 2-3 days to get back to Austin sticking to smaller highways. Big Bend is nice this time of year, as is the Texas hill country. If you need a place to crash for the night in Lubbock, I'm your guy.
  10. jimmesa

jimmesa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done Austin to Mesa in 23 hours on my Versys.
    Make sure you don't do west TX at nite. The deer seem to be everywhere!
    Gas is hard to find at nite too.
    Have a safe trip. Jim