Speaking of ATGATT....Another State goes Helmetless

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Thanantos, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good.

Now if only WA, OR, CA, NV, NE, MO, LA, MS, TN, GA, NC, VA, WV, VT, NJ NY & MA would do the same.
  3. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lived in AZ for a while, and I decided to run to the store for a six-pack one afternoon, sans helmet. Never again. I felt too exposed, the wind noise and buffeting was even more horrendous (I ride a 950 ADV) and I kept getting sandblasted and bug-blasted.

I like my little bubble of civility around my head, the fact it protects is icing on the cake. Gives me the ability to concentrate on the important things, like going fast! :D

Having said all that, I'm with DAKEZ on this one. Let those who ride decide.
  4. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Why not MD?
  5. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:

Eh' no one actually likes Maryland.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because I looked at the Helmet law map on a net-book and MD was too small to see. :lol3

For the record I wear a helmet EVERY time I ride even when I am in states that do not require one.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with DAKEZ on this. I always wear mine but don't want big brother making the decision for me.
  8. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    Another one in agrement. I always wear a helmet, but hate having laws telling what I can or cannot do. we need less government and to get our freedoms back.
  9. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    As do I....I have become so accustomed to wearing it I feel odd if I don't. Just like a seat belt in a car...I don't have to wear one but I don't feel comfortable when I do not wear it.
  10. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's my opinion also. But I will admit that the only reason I ever started wearing a helmet was due to USAF regulations way back in 1970. If you rode on base, you had to wear a helmet. I had already been riding for nine years and never owned a helmet. I got used to it and haven't ridden without one since. So big brother actually did me some good at that point.
  11. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
    i could care less who wears what... but. Please pick up your own tab for long term health care.
  12. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somehow I think this whole helmetless thing ends up with lots of life and health insurance costs for all of us. Maybe even restrictions. When I say costs, I mean insurance companies invent a surcharge for motorcyclists or drop us all together regardless of helmet use.

Some insurance companies will not insure motorcycle racers now. It's not a big leap to exclude for all motorcyclists. Then what?
  13. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but in making your argument, you have just stumbled upon the slippery slope of helmet laws. If wearing a helmet is safer and results in lower insurance for all, then all should be required to wear helmets, right? Well, if we can prove that wearing armored gear also results in fewer injuries and lower insurance claims, then ATGATT should be mandatory as well, right? Well, if that is safer, can't we also demonstrate that not riding at all is safer than driving in a car?

What I consider stupid is not something I will advocate as legislation. I consider anybody who doesn't wear ATGATT to be willfully endangering themselves and honestly, stupid. There is a significant portion of the population that views any rider, regardless of gear to be willfully endangering themselves and stupid. I will not impose my view of safety on you because I don't want others to have that same power over me.
  14. E double D

E double D are we there yet

Oddometer:
    It sure would be nice if I could ride to my neighbors without worrying about getting a ticket, it is only 30 yards down the road.:cry Every where else I don't care what the law is the helmet is on.
  15. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    If there's money to be made insuring riders, then somebody will do it.

If there's not money to be made insuring riders, then I don't blame companies for not doing it.

Most states allow the vehicle operator to self-insure with a surety bond or similar, so even without an insurance company that would be an option.
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Why isn't there a movement to repeal seat belt laws, since this is about "making a choice?" :ear
  17. PerfectZebra

PerfectZebra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    30 yards seems like walking distance to me. :D
  18. Alton

Alton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd vote for it.

Actually, I believe in helmet/seat belt laws for children. Children should be protected from the stupidity of their parents. Adults, however, should be free to make their own stupid choices as long as it doesn't endanger others.

Up with Darwin! Down with the Nanny State!
  19. oldschoolsk8ter

oldschoolsk8ter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is Google for news articles keywords.... "seatbelt repeal":deal

My home state does not require seat belts for adults. Live free or Die-New Hampshire.:wink:
  20. Alton

Alton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A Harborview Medical Center study published in 1988 reported that injured motorcyclists in the trauma center relied on public funds a lower percentage of the time than did automobile drivers to pay their hospital bills during the same time period.

A 1992 study by the University of North Carolina's Highway Safety Research Center reported that automobile drivers and motorcyclists have their medical costs covered by insurance at a nearly identical
    rate.

Source: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/PositionStatements/VoluntaryHelmetUse.aspx