Looking for intelligent input on a new bike.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by rogerc, Mar 11, 2013.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Get rid of the stock muffler and presto! instant character. :deal
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shh!

The best thing about the MTS is you can get a sports bike that works for real people in the real world longer than others.
  3. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too dispute the "no good for touring" claim in respect to the Multi. It's a very comfortable and composed motorcycle on the slab or backroads with no problem running out consecutive 200 mile fills. I am relaxed and happy to ride it any distance. Wind protection is not as good as a GS, but ride quality, while different, is certainly on par with any other adventure bike one would put to the touring task.

My bike has been problem free but is still low miles. Nothing I've owned has been simultaneously as competent for distance work and as much fun to ride in cut and thrust. Also easy in the city where it's relatively lighter weight and good manners make working traffic low stress.

I'd be interested in the KTM and the Caponord (I own one of the early Capos still) but of the bikes available today, the Multi was my choice after doing the rounds and I don't regret it.

Not a bad bike on your list, you can hardly go wrong, but if you want a great ride, take the Multi for a test and see if you can't stop dreaming about it when you get home.
  4. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    I currently have an '06 Ulysses. I would recommend one for a guy your size, except for the fact that they are orphaned now.
    If I were to replace the Uly, on my short list would be the Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

I will add that after owning bikes with shaft and belt final drive; I would never go back to a bike with a chain.
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    First of all, you are comparing dry and wet weights.

Second, what do you base your "high maintenance" claim for the KTM on? Just curious as the service intervals are 9000 miles (15000 km) and valve check every second service if I read that right.

But TBH I only found some info on the web, I don't own either bike. And unfortunately the 1190 Adventure isn't available in the US for 2013.
  6. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have to admit the maintenance levels were based on hearsay from owners of older KTM's on this thread. It seems most of the KTM threads are about major engine failures, dealer repairs, and cost of parts. Aprilia owners talk about what farkles to get next, and Duc owners talk about luggage and scheduled maintenance. I really am just talking out of my ass, though, since I haven't owned KTM or Duc.
  7. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I certainly heard the same about the older KTMs, I know that KTM extended the service intervals significantly, but I have no idea about reliability, issues, service cost, and so on. Was just curious as I think the 1190 Adventure (R) is a super interesting bike.