The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. HBRDR

HBRDR Invisible Rider

Oddometer:
    I have just over 3300 miles and the shifting seems to be getting better. Neutral is easy to find and, with the exception of shifting into first at a stop, very smooth.
    A non-issue for me.
  2. Centurion210

Centurion210 Pilot in command

Oddometer:
    Cleaner emissions standards in Europe and elsewhere dictate the use of water cooling; I don't think they will take a step back, especially after spending over 5 years developing the water-cooled boxer twin. Same rumors followed Porsche around when they replaced their air-cooled boxers but here we are, over 10 years later and all of their engines are still water-cooled.

If BMW's past record is any indication, the oil-cooled engine will be around for at least another two years on some of their bikes but I don't see the GS going back to the oil-cooled engine.
  3. Centurion210

Oddometer:
    Never mind the rest of the excuses; this one is the real reason, isn't it :D
  4. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was the phrase actually water cooled? I am surprised they are water cooled now but not liquid cooled. There are better coolants out there than a water anti freeze mix that would cause far less stress on the cooling system. So if it was actually water that was mentioned then it may be correct. Stopping liquid cooling, no way, they can't for several reasons.
  5. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
  6. deacon51

deacon51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol... for the record, if I let go of the bars on my FJR it'll pitch me on the ground.

I assume the staring dampener will improve performance and help the bike track straight on rough roads / off road. I also know from my test ride that the R1200GSW likes to wheelie.
  7. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Soo...it has more to do with the fact that your wife isn't on board?
  8. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    Just what I was thinking ! You hit the nail on the head !
  9. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    It comes as standard equipment.
  10. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Not stopping liquid cooling but keeping the tradition alive.
    Water cooling is not mandated.
    Should the R90S come in a similar form I'm thinking it would be pretty attractive without water cooling.

[​IMG]
  11. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    No liquid cooling isn't a mandate but emission levels are and that's the problem. Engines have to heat up quickly under euro 5 and they are also a lot tighter. To do that with the old engines would be a big ask and likely produce an engine that isn't very pleasant to drive. There is no way they will or can go back. As others have said the old engine will be around for a while yet. It's 4 or 6 years (can't remember which) before euro 5 is mandated for motorcycles so they may well continue with it in some models, maybe even models they don't currently do.
  12. Centurion210

Oddometer:
    I know because I have the same issue at home! :D
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Very smart move, BMW is infamous for making unannounced upgrades based on the beta pilots' test results. Don't let the comments from those with less patience get to you... :D
  14. deacon51

deacon51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, yeah.... pretty much.
  15. pauljm

pauljm R1200GS LC Rallye

Oddometer:
    Easy solution to the wife problem. Just a get a new one as well to complement the new bike. :)

or maybe threaten to if she doesn't come on board. Or work harder on her, I found being relentless usually wears them down.

Ok so it took me a few months to convince my wife as well that it was a great idea. Still not sure how I got that one past her. But it seemed easy now.

Working on new tyres & Akra exhaust at the moment. :)
  16. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a rear tire in the correct size but can't find a 120/70 R19 front tire. Shop is telling me not to worry about it as the readily available 110 / 80 R 19 will work just dandy.

Opinions before I buy it? Perfectly ok or bad idea?
  17. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    A 110/80 is a taller, narrower tire than a 120/70 and should make the bike steer more quickly, that is to say, be more responsive to steering input. Not by a lot, but some. Is that what you want?
  18. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    I'd expect it would work in a pinch, otherwise I'd keep looking for the correct size tire.
  19. pauljm

pauljm R1200GS LC Rallye

Oddometer:
    For the record I regularly put the bike in cruise mode & let go of the bars to adjust gloves or whatever. Never had wobbles or anything the bike tracks perfectly at any speed unless your going ballistic & it lofts the front wheel then it's a good idea to hang on. :rofl
    I like a steering damper for sand & some off road situations & will probably add one eventually when a viable option come out. Not n issue for me if its OEM or rally moto or Scott or... The ralle moto worked great on my F800gs.
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    It is my position (and the position of Honda, as detailed in a mechanics course) that operation of the motorcycle without holding the handlebars constitutes improper operation and that therefore anything that happens when operating the motorcycle improperly cannot be defined as a problem. I happen to agree.

Another point is that motorcycle chassis are relatively stable as they accelerate or maintain speed, and inherently unstable as they decelerate. This explains why you can run without hands when cruise control is keeping the speed steady.