50cc scooter that keeps up with traffic for commuting

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by vertt, Sep 7, 2012.

1. vertt

vertt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a motorcycle and can't think of a better place to post this question... I would like to get a 50cc scooter that will be used to commute around town on roads where the speed limit is 45 mph with people driving anywhere from 40 to 55 mph. The reason I don't want a higher displacement scooter is because I don't have to get a plate for a 50cc scooter here in VA and because I can park it at a bicycle rack at work. It's also nice to have as a backup for my motorcycle and for short rides running errands. I understand that technically the 50cc scooters must not go faster than 35 mph to be excluded from the plate/registration requirements, but that's not the point of this thread!

I have been researching "fast" 50cc scooters and came up with Aprilia SR50 which seems to fit the bill. I really like the design and the reviews seem to be very positive with large aftermarket support, but it is not cheap at over 3K new. I would like to buy a used scooter and a used SR50 seems to be hard (impossible) to find in my area. I would like to see if there are any other scooters that I should be looking at with a similar performance as the SR50. I don't mind having to modify a couple of things to make it faster, but I do not want to spend a lot of money on aftermarket parts. Best case scenario would be something where I can do modifications in my garage with a few reasonably priced parts if necessary.

I am sure you guys have some suggestions?
  2. bigalsmith101

bigalsmith101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.motopeds.com/

Ride the bitch to work, park it on the side walk, and never think about license plates again.

--Alex
  3. vertt

vertt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If i lived in Manhattan I would rock one of these. For commuting, I need something with lights, turn signals and that can keep up with suburban traffic.
  4. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    If you can find a Kymco Super 9 LC (the later ones were air cooled) you'd have a fairly feisty little commuter.

Mine works in the same sort of parameters you gave....posted 45, with flow of traffic being 40-50. In dense traffic or downtown stop-and-go I actually (gasp!) pass people. Only on the long stretches where people are hitting 55 in a 45 did I have to watch my back. Otherwise, it really did well and was my daily driver for a while. Still have it, just not riding it since it needs autochoke/bistarter work.

Indicated top speed was probably an optimistic 47..cruised at 40-43 comfortably. Nice build quality.

FBOA ride report.
  5. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't legally have it both ways . . "gaming the system" may have the consequences of legislative changes. Maryland example.
  6. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    An Aprilia is the gold standard for 50's, and the Super9 isnt far behind. The Super's water pump will fail
    eventually if its an LC model, but thats no big deal to fix. Deresricting is a little more complicated, though . . .
    I have a 2 stroke Eton Beamer III that was derestricted with just the snip of the green wire on the CDI unit.
    On a good day it will get 43mph (real, radar varified) totally stock. These can be had for 1300 new.
    Its sort of a Zuma/Minarelli Jog knock-off, but not chinese.
    Riding a 50 in traffic is a rush and an adventure. Using momentum and picking lines, I own city traffic :thumb
    It's the same type of fun you had in 1969 on your first Honda mini-trail ride. :freaky
    I'd recommend it because it's cheap and the usual pipe/jet and variator parts are available for it.
    :beer

Best small bore site on the web: http://www.49ccscoot.com/:deal
  7. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Not really. Cut the rev limiter, remove the bushing.
  8. knucklehead90

knucklehead90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JMHO but I'd rather not play in traffic that is potentially faster than me. It can get dangerous if you piss off people in cages and causing delays. I'd get a 70-110 and tab it and be done with it. Whats life an limb worth? Those little 50's aren't the most visible vehicle on the street either. For city traffic that does no more than 35 they are great.
  9. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock Kymco People 50 2T will do around 45 on the level.
  10. RFLIVES

RFLIVES Adventurer

Oddometer:
    where in va are you located I have a Yamaha C3 with a 70cc kit on it for sale. She will cruise @ 45 at 3/4 throttle with my 190lbs on it.
  11. vertt

vertt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tab it? Not sure what you mean?
  12. vertt

vertt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Richmond.
  13. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Plate and tab. Essentially registering and getting license plate.
  14. vertt

vertt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right, but hat defeats the main purpose of a small displacement scooter - being able to park downtown on a bicycle rack.
  15. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are scooters that are not any bigger in physical size than a 50cc, and will keep up with 45-50 mph traffic easily. The Genuine Rattler 110 is one of them. Take the 110 stickers off, and find a way to mount the plate so you can remove it and take it with you when you park.
  16. Ghog

Ghog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ask the same thing about a 50cc scooter. Here in Indiana we are called a Moped and you have a top speed of 25mph. If you are going to pay around $3000 for a 50cc scooter I would get a Ruckus. Nobody sold ruckus around here and I didn't have the $3000.
  17. vertt

vertt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ruckus is very slow and has no usable storage compared to other scoots with underseat space. Looks like Kymco Super 8/9s, once de-restricted, can be alternatives to Aprilia SR50.
  18. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say a Zuma with a big bore kit. No way you'll be able to keep up with traffic going 44 mph on a stock 50cc unless it's all downhill and there are stoplights at every block.
  19. Ghog

Ghog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you guy need to read what he said ( 30 to 35mph ) a ruckus will do that all day long. There was a guy that went across the U.S. on a ruckus at 30 to 35mph.
  20. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are we reading the same post?