The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Never check it , ride for fun not for good mpg's.
  2. Boismj03

Boismj03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice,
    What crew? when....
  3. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Streaks77, which DRC Tail Lamp kit did you use (#) and did you use the DRC turn signal brackets that come with the kit. I have used the DRC kit for my DRZ400 (metal), but after reading your post it looks like you used the plastic kit, let us know which one, thanks.

John
  4. streaks77

streaks77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the plastic kit and didn't use brackets, just drilled one hole on each side of the plastic aft of the light and used it as a mounting point. Time will tell how it stands up, I didn't pay much so if I run into any issues, not a big deal. This was the number listed on the order form: 010983_34056-00. Cheers!
  5. trainman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, John
  6. Lapchik

Lapchik Professional Neurotic

Oddometer:
  7. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to make time to do the swing arm service this past weekend. As with the shock linkage, the swing arm was lacking in the grease department from the factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took pics during the process, once I get a minute I'll pull together a post covering the steps involved.
  8. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    My wife installed the "Low" Seat Concepts seat for the CRF250L this weekend. She decided to order it with the "soft" foam as she only weighs in at about 115lbs and also chose the black top with gripper material and red sides. I think she was hoping it would have lowered her a bit more, but in the end it was maybe a 1/4" at the most. However, it should give her a much more comfortable seating area when she slides back for the long hauls. Granted these pics are just with sneakers and jeans on, but she wanted to show a good comparison.

Oh yeah, don't mind the fact the entire front end of the bike is off. We are fixing a few things. :lol3

9. trainman

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" and have a 31" inseam and if I have a bike that my feet touch the ground like hers do, I'm going to fall every once in a wile riding off road. I've been riding 45 years and uneven surfaces for some reason just happen to be where you don't want them, I would lower the fork tubes and put on some lowering links, she could use and 1" or 2" lower bike for now. Just don't want to see her get hurt.

John
  10. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since she's only 115 #, you can unwind the preload on the spring a bunch...you'll get way more than 1/4"....and make the ride comfy as well
  11. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check this out:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1004151-crf250l-lowering-options-and-tips/

I've already been down this road, check out post #39 for some measurements. Stock, lowering link, seat concepts low

:freaky
  12. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interested in how this is done! Can't wait to see the process....:ear
  13. Irish769

Irish769 In Principio Erat Verbum

Oddometer:
    Pike IRFC based in Monument, CO. 1982-1987 ( Yea.....a million years ago!):D
  14. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did get these mirrors, and they have a kind of clicking, get into position thingy on there, adjustable for tension. They can be folded inward, to be out of the way for off road. Weather not ideal here right now for testing for vibration, being able to actually see what's behind you. The OEM ones seemed a bit quirky to get the adjustment right. $42 each, and shipped fast from the west coast to east coast in 2 days. http://www.moto-science.com/product/ktm-oem-folding-mirror-243mm-universalyamahaducati-mount-0097u
  15. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have those mirrors on all my off road bikes. It's the first farkle I get. :clap
  16. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, thanks Tony, you were the one who I asked after you posted pics, back before I actually had a bike to bolt them to. More f'n snow on the way here, WTF.
  17. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    That was our next idea. I worked on my car all day yesterday and didn't feel like screwing with the bike after she finished the seat.

It isn't squatting very much when she sits on it. She sat on one at a show that the preload must have been way out on because she could almost flat foot it.
  18. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Yeah, she's coming from an XT225 she can flat foot with ease and quite a bit lighter than the CRF250L so we are definitely taking that into mind

That was our next idea. I worked on my car all day yesterday and didn't feel like screwing with the bike after she finished the seat. :lol:

It definitely isn't squatting very much when she sits on it, although I haven't actually measured it yet. She sat on one at a show that the preload must have been way out on because she could almost flat foot it.

Thanks, lots of good info. I think we are going to try setting the sag right first to see how that works for her. As I mentioned above, she's sat on one at a show and it must have had the preload pretty far out because she was pretty sure footed on it.

She also has her sneakers on in this pic which she doesn't ride in. For street boots, she has a pair of the Daytona Ladystars which give her like 2" and her dirt bike boots probably don't do as much, but I'm sure they'll help too.
  19. Infidel707

Infidel707 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody try to install moose racing contour mount handguards on the stock bars? Where inner mount needs to go seems to be right where the crossbar is on the stock bars. Tempted to file it down, looks to be an 1/8" off, but they are hollow Im guessing, which would lead to shearing later on and who knows what else. Any lists of what hand guards work with the stock bars? Or I could just get new bars considering I'm 6'4...
  20. Irish769

Irish769 In Principio Erat Verbum

Oddometer:
    I think a popular option with stock bars are the Cycra Pro Bend- Bar Pack. They come with out bar clamps. You attach to the front of the fork clamps with the optional triple clamp front mounts. They are an additional $40 or so but they are solid and fit perfectly. No bending or grinding needed. I installed mine in about 20 minutes.