Etymotic ER6i earbuds discontinued: now what??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Southbark

Southbark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got a black HF3 at best buy on Clarence for 79 bucks. They go pretty deep in the ear canal and do not rub on the helmet lining
  2. rxcoop

rxcoop persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer:
    nobody named Clarence at my best buy....ideas ?? :rofl
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    What's your vector, victor?
  4. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's some blue HF5's on sale for $93.88 plus shipping. The price isn't displayed, you have to add them to your cart first then it will tell you the price. The black ones are $149.99, just the Cobalt ones are $93.88
    http://www.jr.com/etymotic-research/pe/ETY_HF5COBALT/

Edit- jspringator is right, free shipping. I ordered them a few days ago, forgot about that.
  5. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just ordered it. Free shipping for me.
  6. Rootkiller

Rootkiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried a pair also and the isolation is not close to the er6 for me, they sound great though.
  7. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    ??
  8. AndyM

AndyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Been wearing the HF5's everyday for a week or two now. They fit fine under my Shoei Multitec with zero interference, which kind of surprises me because they sure look bigger and I wear my helmets snug. Sound is the same as the er6i's. I have to be just a bit more careful inserting them to get a good seal but not hard to get a good seal.
    For me the search is over :clap.
  9. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    ordered the HF5's, the $94 ones are on order from the manufacturer. We'll see how long it takes.

I've just started using my iPod on the motorcycle, I have a pair of Skullcandy Titans that work well with my bicycle, but I'm having a problem keeping them in my canal when I ride the motorcycle and start to get sweaty. Plus the Titans don't seem to seal out the noise very well, but they were only 30 bones.
  10. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

Thanks for the heads up on these. I bought a couple pairs - one with a mic and one without. They are quite possibly the best 22 bucks I spent on any audio gear - I'm certainly no audiophile but these are outstanding - especially so considering the price. I would say they are the equal of the ER6i's in sound quality (more so if you like bass as I do) and not far behind in terms of cutting wind noise.

Only downside is they can be a PIA to put in but once there, they stay there.
  11. diehli

diehli Geniass

Oddometer:
    I rode around for a month (~8500 miles) with the Shure SE-215s with the black foam tips plugged into my iPhone. Awesome job isolating me from the wind noise in my Bell Star helmet. Didn't even have to have the iPhone turned more than 2/3 of the way up.

A few months after that trip I went on a shorter, ill-fated ride through the PNW. The crash that ended the trip a couple hundred miles from home severed/tore the cord. Ordered a replacement cord and they're good-to-go again.

I got 'em from EarphoneSolutions.com (dunno what the protocol is for posting links here). Don't know if it's still good, but back on February 24th I got a 18% discount code: "leap". In a couple days they might have a St. Patty's code (probably "drunkmick"). :wink:
  12. moymurfs

moymurfs Truth has become unacceptable.

Oddometer:
  13. a1atcs

a1atcs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ZAGG earbuds have been my latest favorite. They are reasonably priced, have a unique wearing style, and sound great.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I've been using the HF's for a little while. For me and my helmet (ARAI RX-Q) they stick out a little too far. I need to jam them in my ear to the point that after a while they start to hurt. With the ER6's I could put them in far or not far as a ride went on to adjust the canal pressure. The HF's need to be in far all the time. I wear my helmet more snug than most I suspect and the RX-Q doesn't have huge ear pockets so YMMV.
  15. jay956

jay956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I decided to try the MC3's, hopefully they work out.

My ER6i's took a swim in the washing machine and didn't make it :cry
  16. officerleroy

officerleroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slightly OT, but does anyone else have problems with their er6i's under their Arai XD-3?? I've had them under Vemar, HJC, Shoei, and Suomy helmets with no problems. I'm thinking I might need to cut out some of the cheek pad foam, but I'm very hesitant to do so.

I've got either a size small or extra small helmet, and I believe that particular size comes with 5mm thicker foam than the bigger sizes.

Anyone else? Or is it just a perfect storm cobination of my head, er6i's, and the XD-3?
  17. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    They work fine in my XD3 (XL). The XD3 fits much more tightly than my Multitec, so they are a bit more difficult to keep in while putting the helmet on but once in the ER-6's work fine. I find that looping the cord around my ear really helps keep them in place while putting the helmet on.
  18. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't speak specifically to the XD-3, but they work fine for me in a regular XD.
  19. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine worked fine in my small xd3, alas the plug got hung up getting off the bike.:cry
    I called Etymotic and did some more:cry to no avail.
    They do have an upgrade program, going to send the old and get some hf5's, better than retail.
  20. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the details on the upgrade program? My er6i's are getting long in the tooth.