Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Mexico now. The border crossing at Puerto Palomas was a cinch... half hour or less for both imigracion and Banjercito. There is plenty of parking right in front of the Banjercito trailer/office. No hassles from anyone. Super nice lady at the money exchange across the street. 12.9/pesos/dollar, no fee. As I was fumbling with my peel off permit sticker (my hands are totally f'd with arthritis) a nice elderly man showed me how easy it was to peel it and he asked for nothing for the favor, I tipped him nonetheless. There was no line going in at 12:00 but a pretty big line up of trucks and cars going out. The ride down to Nuevo Casas Grandes is mostly a good but rough asphalt road. The trucks haul ass! The wind and cold were a challenge and I was glad to hit NCG at around 3:30. Great staff here at the Hacienda hotel... learned that moto is slang for a joint... didn't know that... it was fun to yuck it up with the staff on a slow Saturday night. Also found out that the two 100 peso coins (1991) I had been hoarding for God knows how long are now worthless, gave them to the front desk clerk for his ninos. Love this place!
  2. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Mexico RMO. BTW, the slang is "mota", not "moto".
  3. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found out yesterday how expensive the Cuota can be... took the libre road south of Mazatlan, but then after a while figured I needed to make some time. Got on the Cuota halfway to Tepic, Motos posted at 43 pesos but I was only charged 21. That was right according to the 50% reduction talked about a while ago. Next toll booth motos were posted at 90 pesos - no worries I thought, it will be 45. Nope, 90, and the woman either didn't understand my questions, or the correct rate really was 90. Sixty KM down the road there's another toll booth, this time with motos posted at 45 peso, and it was obvious the sign had just been updated. Seem to me that the 90 peso charged previously was a mistake and should have been 45, so showed the receipt to the guy that had just charged me 45, and he said the 90 was correct.

So if the 90 was correct, that means it cost me 156 pesos for 94km. I won't be doing that again any time soon!
  4. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6VVvXCf35tI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

:freaky
  5. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7zaXyh6-ZHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    que padre - sabes el tomaƱo perfecto :nod
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    has anything advanced with the whole Sonoran state being a free zone?
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    No, Governors office is sort of on board but it is a federal matter. Kind of like Colorado and weed. Have heard nothing from state tourism or contacts in the Gov's office. Governor is PAN, new prez is PRI. Relationships must be established with all the complexity of not having a civil service system. Pretty much all new players at the fed level from what I hear.

Sonora only permits can be obtained at Naco and Agua Prieta, not just Empalme, regardless of what they tell you in Nogales. Good for up to 180 days, $50 and no deposit.
  9. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friday at Allende checkpoint there was a 500yardas line mostly 18wheelers ., went around all the way to the front ., The federales were being interviewed by a news paper and they were posing for a picture it saved me like an hour No even one military checkpoint form Piedras to Monclova
    Seems that the comandante supremo has order his bugler, retreat call
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UQEn3tEckD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW... what are you doing in SMA dog?
  10. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Definitely stock up ;)

It's been a few years but my tentative goal is to get back to Florida for Bike Week 2014. There is a gig in Marathon every year following Bike Week so that woud work well.
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Tend to agree totally, although it's sorta 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. I have never been to Veracruz although I did make it down to Santa Ana with Arte and Andres a few years ago. Once you cross the river at Tampico the vegetation changes dramatically to really dark greens and that part of the country is beautiful. If the OP gets to Tampico you might ride down to the Costa Esmerelda and Tuxpam and just check things out and decide. It's an extra day but looks awfully nice.

If I could find a place to park a decent travel trailer and truck I'd give spending some time down there some serious thought. A few years ago I ran into a Canadian who had cut a deal with a beachfront hotel for long-term lodging at something like $6/night on the understanding that he did his own laundry and didn't expect daily maid service. He told me that he hoped to convert a school bus to carry a motorcycle and to return the next year and to hook up at the same place. I would love to find out if he was successful.
  12. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. The last time I rode that section of cuotas, (long before the reduction in tarifa), I finally jumped off at Rosamalia and headed south. I still remember three young boys running home barefooted along the libramiento carrying three pretty big iguanas. Dinner would be a good one that evening. Since then I've always opted for the libramientos over the cuotas when feasible. So much more to see, and so much less expensive.
  13. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Menudo
  14. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :y0! :ostrich :flush
  15. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tampico is ok, it has a unique norteno and Veracruz type vibe to it. Since it sits right on the state line, you could consider it extreme north Veracruz. What it does is position you perfectly for either deeper into Mexico or up to the US border. Prices are not insane like in Veracruz.
    Have you thought about Tuxpan? Tuxpan is going to be getting busier with the direct highway connect to Mexico City and the port expansion. Tuxpan is a few hours south, more laid back, and sets you up nice for travel within Mexico and still easy to do the border. If I had to choose between Tuxpan and Tampico, I would opt for Tuxpan and since you are comfortable in Mexico you might enjoy it, summers are going to put you on the Veracruz weight loss plan with the temps and humidity! ha,ha!
    You can live well and you'll enjoy Tampico if you are set on Tampico as a destination. No worries.
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    DC, many of the tolls have the moto prices now being displayed. If a moto price was displayed it likely was the correct price. There is no rhyme nor reason as to how a toll is set for a road. Look at the car price that is posted and you will likely pay half of that. If in doubt, check the car price, it will be clearly posted.

There is still one toll in Veracruz that is not charging half price and have done so for the past 3 weeks. I am going to have my local federal government rep look into this as I have kept my receipts.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go get 'em, Wallace :lol3

[​IMG]
  18. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You missed the fun in the sierra, yesterday.

It was the "Revenge of the ADV Statue" incident. Details and video might follow. If you are lucky and I am not.
  19. terrapinneck

terrapinneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Usually I can find my way about pretty well, unless in Tampico.
    I had the job of driving an eye doctor from Aquismon to Tampico so he could catch a flight home. Three of the eye team nurses (women) wanted to tag along for a little shopping. I got lost, long story short, wound up in the red light district. (no snickering). As the church van cruised by some prostitutes we thought we heard one say..."well, there goes the neighborhood"....
  20. terrapinneck

terrapinneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, even though the wife loves Mexico too. She is shying away from a ride down there. She would like to go beach crawling from Mexico Beach, FL to Key West and maybe back up the eastern seaboard. I myself, am anxious to ride in MX or further anytime after the first of the year...