Honda Crossrunner - US Market - Who Wants One?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 2, 2010.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I sat on a Crossrunner today and I have to say the riding position is near perfect. The bike looks really nice, much nicer in person.
    I have booked a test ride for next week and I hope to be posting my riding impressions soon after.
  2. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

In the US?
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I wish! I'm just visiting across the pond.
    But I sure hope Honda USA will bring the bike over next year. The VFR 800 isn't offered anymore and that bike would make for a great replacement. I'll try and post a couple of pics next week.
  4. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I went for a test ride earlier today. The French do it right! I was gone for an hour and a half. Sweet!
    Here are a couple of pics. I will give a ride review later but I can already say that Honda should bring this bike over here in the US.

Attached Files:

5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Another pic

Attached Files:

6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    One more

Attached Files:

7. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    One last pic. I am 6ft tall. The bike seats lower than a CBR and/ or VFR.

Attached Files:

8. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Ok, last one... Sitting on the bike.

Attached Files:

9. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics, looking forward to your riding impressions. I like the look of the bike except for the dash/handlebars, looks like the dash on my 15 year old snowmobile. :puke1
  10. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that photo of the bars, Gore-Tx. They almost look like Heli-Bars with plastic covers fastened over them. Could you tell if the bars would retrofit to a VFR800?
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I am sorry but I couldn't tell. The plastic covered the handlebar pretty well. Knowing this bike is a VFR and shares the engine, frame, and wheels with the VFR, I would be tempted to say yes. But I can't really say for sure.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    First let me say that the Crossrunner is a VFR800. Same (tweaked) engine so it has the VTEC. Since I had a 2006 VFR, I can honestly say that you can not tell anymore it has the VTEC which is great. I rode the bike to 160 kph so it's just about 100 mph. The acceleration was very linear. It's not really a problem. I passed au Audi that was going about 80 mph and just rolled on the throttle. Engine got a little hot in traffic (like a VFR) but nothing bad meaning the radiator never came on. I could just feel it on my leg depending on the where the wind blew. Weather was mild though, around 70-72 degres. The exhaust on the bike sounded really good, almost like a VFR with an aftermarket slip-on.

The riding position is half good and half so-so. They basically raised the VFR bars with some kind of heli-bar but they didn't lower the footpegs. I have ridden several sportbikes so it didn't really bother me but I think it might be an issue for longer trips/ rides. The tiny windshield works quite well and really surprised me at how good it was even though I was sitting upright. There is a taller one available from Honda.

The seat height is 78 cm which is 31 in. I am 6ft tall and had no problem flat-footing the bike. The seat is very narrow close to the tank and the pegs are placed in such a way that your legs don't hit them when you place your feet on the ground. The seat was somewhat comfortable for the time I rode but I could see myself needing an aftermarket if I owned the bike. I think it's pretty common now for people to change the OEM seat anyway. Sad but true. The handlebar wasn't too wide, not too low or too high, and the reach isn't far either. Bottom line is I liked the riding position. The dashboard was easy to read and all kinds of info is available. Not the prettiest one though. The bike comes with a center stand which is nice. The side stand was easy to deploy and putting the bike on the center stand was really easy as well. All controls are typical Honda.

The ride was very nice. I didn't change any setting. The rear is pretty firm, ala VFR so it can get a little bumpy on some back roads. The forks were a little soft but are really suited to this type of bike. If I had to make any changes, I would actually soften the rear. Because the Crossrunner is a VFR in SUV disguise, it really handled like a VFR. They share the same frame and wheels (and engine). The bike was solid into turns. May be it's the riding position but I thought the bike was easier to place into turns and easier to ride (fast) than the VFR. It handled great. Absolutely no complain here.

The clutch was smooth and I never had any problem shifting. Very slick. I have no real number for gas mileage but I would estimate it to be about 40-42 mpg. May be a little better than my old VFR but not by much.

Price was 10,499 euros. They still sell the VFR 800 for about 12,000 euros I think. I think Honda could sell it here in the US for 10,999.

I'd sure buy one.
  13. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great write up, Gore-Tx. You gave a much more informative summary than the professional reviews I have seen on the Web. And the photos you posted were great. I could finally see some details not covered by the stock photos posted in the "pro" reviews." :deal
  14. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Oh my. I can only say that the Honda designers lost me somewhere along the way. I have yet to see a new Honda from the last few years that I actually like. I liked the Viffers up to 2001 and the ST1300 but after that pretty much nothing anymore. Certainly the VFR1200 and this one are some of the ugliest bikes I have seen in quite a while.

Ah, so what. I'm just not a Honda customer anymore I guess.
  15. ssregal39

ssregal39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'd buy if the price is right. i likey:D

HONDA:ear:ear:ear??????
  16. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not enough bikes like the Cross that are not selling in the US?
  17. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I guess if it ain't a crotch rocket or a cruiser, people aren't buying.

I should really say that most dealers aren't interested in selling bikes in small numbers. Why sell 10 KLRs when you can sell 100 Ninjas ZX10 or 100 cruisers? So when dealers are presented with new possible models, they just say, nah, I'm sticking to what's been selling.
  18. Denase

Denase Denase

Oddometer:
    Called and put my name on the list to take a look, when they arrive. Now if I can find a motorcycle specific boot without the shifter pad.:D
  19. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    If you're interested in the crosstour, you're in the wrong thread. This is the Crossrunner.
  20. Jay S.

Jay S. 600cc Beast

Oddometer:
    For some reason I kinda like it. Hmm... (then again I think the Versys has an intersting look)

:scratch