The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    How do your wolfman bags fit with the rack?
  2. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try and get them back on tomorrow. :D
  3. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be a little leary of the HP claims with this kit. Below is their "supposed" dyno chart showing the HP gains on their website, but look at it closely. I'll give you a hint: upper left corner. See it? They show three curves markered in on the graph, but the actual printout only indicates two (green and red). Either they never did a third pull to validate their claims, or they did the third pull on a separate sheet and the results were so lack-luster they chose not to publish them. Thus Black = Bullshit

[​IMG]

I probably wouldn't have caught it, but I found it rather odd they felt the need to go over the actual pull curves with red and blue markers even though the actual curves were clearly visible. Then I looked a little closer and noticed that no where along the black pull can you see anything from the original printed pull poking out from behind the marker. All they did was took the second chart they posted (below) and colored in a third make-bleieve pull to magically validate their claims.

[​IMG]
  4. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know everyone will say"Thats not what its for.." How does the CRF250L Compare to the KLX250S..stock for stock on the interstate. Actual numbers and rider weight/size and cargo lloads would b ehelpful too. I like th eprice of the CRF and it strikes me as everything I wanted from my KLX250 but didnt get...
  5. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Honda handles perfectly on the street. My 07 klx had a very twitchy feel at anything over 35 mph and at 60 felt like it could go into a headshake at any second. A damned uneasy feeling at highway speeds. The Crf250L handles like its on rails, the complete opposite. My bike runs at 6000rpm and 60 mph, which is the torque peak, so it cruises easily.in every way, the Honda is very much more refined than the klx, having owned both, I think its better in every way. My plans are to go up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. With a slip on muffler one of the big bore kits thats coming, my uses will be easy to accomplish. My riding is on improved and unimproved gravel roads, and its not uncommon to be in 5 th and 6 th gear alot. Plus, I often ride the bike to the Flint Hills area to do my off pavement touring, so an overdrive ratio is a good thing. With a little more power and carrying the 1 gal. Rotopax, I'll have great bike to use.
    I know the 283 is going to be possible, and I hope the bigger kit is also.
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  6. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    I never considered riding my KLX on the interstate (I-25 Northern Colorado) - around here, seems the minimum speed limit is 75 + usually at around 85 to be the average - I set it up for pretty much dirt only. I don't ride my CRFL on the interstate for the same reasons - either bike is not really an interstate bike. I ride my BMW on the interstate :deal
  8. SugarDust

Oddometer:
  9. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I am curious if the bike has enough spare capacity to power the vest/grips /lights etc - have you tried all yet?
  10. goondock

goondock Adventurer

Oddometer:

It actually is a discount, all the parts added up comes to $895.85.. not causing beef or arguing and I am not affiliated with them at all just like it when the truth is out there. lots of people read stuff other people write and believe it immediately without doing any research. Much better reading when the posts are true.
  11. jglow

jglow Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer:

It runs the grips/vest/lights without any problem. I'm not sure how much extra wattage there is on this bike. I remember reading at some point that it had a decent bit, and enough to run the extras I needed to run - not quite as much as my WR250R, but enough. Maybe someone else can chime in here with the real numbers (Ramz :wave)?

jordan
  12. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    Thanks again - Reading Ramz site, it lists 335 watts -
  13. Bksports88

Bksports88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    not creating any beef, guess college didnt teach me how to add correctly haha. Im really happy I found this Forum so I can now beef up my bike. First things I need to get is a rack and Skid plate
  14. jtbek

jtbek ADV990R

Oddometer:
    I have some questions too. Not saying its bunk, but I would like a more professional and detailed approach—example showing max gains in the power band on the chart, dyno'ing with a slick, showing a/f—for nearly a grand.
  15. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    my .02 it seems like a reasoned approach - the same tried and true approach taken many times over the years.

- open the intake and exhaust
    - rejet to accomodate increased airflow
    - change gearing to what suits the powerband/application

Wether or not it hits those specific numbers or not, this is good approach. and one most folks have taken with other bikes (including myself) if you have the money to get everything at once, seems like a fair deal - expensive, but no more so than other bikes (well maybe a bit for the exhaust as its brand new) - However I can do it in pieces as I can afford it - fuel controller and gearing, then intake/exhaust
  16. bestdualsportbikes

bestdualsportbikes n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Jim. This is Dave Simon from the Best Dual Sport Bikes and I'm the one who ran that bike and drew that chart. It's that way because the computer took a poop at fmf, losing various dyno runs and the first to CRF runs were some of those lost. Because the stock muffler got hacked up to see if there was a catalytic in it, there was no way to go back and re-doo. SO, after the efi programmer and airbox mods were sorted out a few weeks later, there was no way to put them all together except to overlay one on the other. I had to draw the new one, so I just decided to draw over the old ones for clarity of scanning and such. Also, the first two were choppy and the last one pretty smooth, so this just made it easy to see. Since Dirt Bike magazine tested it finally yesterday and claimed it "8000% better than stock", it must be kinda good. Should be on the dirtbikemagazine.com site soon
  17. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    Interesting. My 07 KLX feels stable at all speeds.
  18. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    As I've seen mentioned in a few reviews - it could be the tires.
  19. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the motocamping set up. It isn't the final configuration, but it all fit on the bike and I could still get my ass on it. I think I'm going to get another one of those yellow bags for the sleeping bag, chair and whatever else will fit. Then, get a small duffel for clothes and such. The tent and sleeping pad are in the first bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    Cool Tony! Did you need to tweak anything on the rack to mount the Rotopax mount?