R1100GS hack???

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by jeffygs, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about hacking my trusty 95 R1100GS. Im not a fabricator, nor a welder so its gonna have to be bolt on. I would like to know if my GS is going to handle it well (tranny, clutch, gearing, suspension), everyone seems to be working with 1150's and 1200's but no 1100's.

I like the look of the Ural/DMC style tub, and not sure about LL or not and want the cost to be contained. This could be a possible next year project.

I have a GL1100 rig now and its what I ride but would like to get down to one bike. Any thoughts!!!
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I guess if you have the better transmission M97 or whatever its as good a place as any to start.Living in the middle of the country as I do I would call Claude and possibly consider buying a Hannigan and having CLaude install it.DB
  3. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R1100GS works well as a sidecar bike. I often recomend them as they are nearly as nice as an R1150GS for less money. They are easy to convert to a sidecar bike. The front ends work ok stock however you can also offset the ball joint mount on the front end for light steering. The R1100GS is the least expensive bike we make steering modifcations for. You can also go with a leading link front end however unless you also need the front end wider to go with an automotive wheel and tire there are better places to spend your money then on a leading link. We have built some where around 500 GS sidecar rigs and as such have a well developed 100% bolt on kit for your bike. I have also owned several R1100GS rigs my self. I sold my last one not long ago as I have on order the new water cooled R1200GS mainly as we need to develop products for it. I will have it at the BMW national with a sidecar on it. Beemer Chef often posts both here and on the USCA site www.sidecar.com he put about 280K on his R1100GS rig before he blew the engine. On nice thing abou the R1100GS is it is now old enough the should you blow an engine or trasmission you should be able to find a good used one at a good price. I beleive Beemer Chef paid $400 for his.
    Give me a call or email me if you have any specific questions.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    jay@dmcsidecars.com
  4. halflive

halflive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An R1100 With Ural is a perfect and easy combination. We've build one for a friend of mine. The crankcase has two massive mounting holes at the front and the rear.
    [​IMG]

The upper front mount is a simple thingy on the frame bolt and the swing arm. If you make a solid strut on your sidecar frame you even don't need a rear strut.

[​IMG]

You don't need a swing arm, just replace The front ball joint on a adapter plate.
    On the rear wheel you can fit a narrow 17" car tire to manage the rubber consumption.

When finished you end up with something like this.
  5. Neptune03

Neptune03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took a look at halfive's BMW build. Looks great! I have a question, very interested in the Vredstein snow tire he used but when I went to Vredstein's web site and looked at their show tires, I could find none with the same aggressive tread pattern. Hey halfive any possibility of helping me locate the same one you used?
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Neptune--you gonna hack a GS? That's be cool! I assume you'll replace the motor with something like a Hayabusa or Desmosedici so you'll have enough power to suit. :rofl

Anyway, that tire is the Vredestein Snow Plus but they spell it Snow+. Here's the link--clicky. Sourcing them here in the U.S. can be a pain--some sizes are more available than others. PM me if you need more info as I've researched this tire to death.
  7. halflive

halflive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is not my build, the bike belongs to Ruud. I just pasted the link in Google translate. Over here in the Netherlands Vredestein is a common brand. I can only Google for a dealer in the US.
    Ruud has proven this concept by tossing the bike over on a trip to Nordkapp, only with some damage to the plastic parts.
    We have peeked underneath Ruud's bike to view the subframe construction we made as shown above.
  8. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How would I know what tranny I have, I have put 50K miles on my GS I have never had a tranny issue.
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
    You'll have to research that yourself or check with a dealer.lots of info here check Antons site or call him http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161664

Antons probably the best independent BMW mechanic in the country, if you google 1100gs trans mission problems you get plenty of reading.DB
  10. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have owned a R1100GS rig for over 6 years now, and I'm very pleased with the set up when it is done right, but you will have to perform some alterations to the bike in order to have a good running and safe sidecar.

Regarding the mechanical components of the bike, I have had to rebuild my transmission, just after hacking the bike (even if ny GS is a 99, so M97 tranny, you have a M94, that are known to be weaker than the upgraded M97). The clutch will take a beating with the new load and weight of a chair. You can reduce the wear by using a FD with a lower gearing, like a 37/11 from a R850R. Then the shocks should be also changed for heavy ones, that will reduce too much rocking in the courves. A use of a sway bar will also help to fight the high gravity center of a GS rig in the twisties.

All these alterations are part of the fun to own a sidecar. Time, with the help of other owner on ADV and builders, like Claude, will guide you through this challeging and so interesting and rewarding process.
  11. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont mind the alterations as hacking is my future. I know a new clutch is required, I thought ceramic to prevent wear! any thoughts. as far as the final drive, the only thing wrong with my gs is 1st gear is tall, and I want to keep some of the ability to cruise at 65 and keep some mpg( I like colorado and its 500 miles away). As they say everything you do with a hack will be a compromise and I know, I will have to compromise.

12. davebig

Oddometer:
    TwinTwin has a very good handle on it, the trouble being r1100's mostly used the 33/11 final so the only acceptable final drive is the 850 37/11, you'll still be able to go 65, but what you'll find is sidecars are allot slower on two lane twisties than single bikes, you can run right along but it will take some learning. The warning sidecars are not motorcycles, but it's lots of fun and not everyone does it they always start a conversation, and I like my dogs company.DB
  13. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 10K miles with the sidecar on and my original clutch (46K miles total) and no slipping yet, so still good to go, but I try to get it easy and I have a 37/11 FD. I do not have any feedback on the ceramic clutch. I have tried a GS rig with one, but the "on off" mode is a lttle bit surprising, and I'm sure you can get use it to it. The front end mod will be also on your "need to do" list, car rim tire on the back will follow soon :-)
    Building a rig to your feelings and tastes could be a long project, but I have enjoyed all the different brainstorming and building steps. The better proof is I'm in the process to build (with the help of Claude) a new rig based on a R1150GSA and a EZS L.L. BTW the 1150 has the same "issues" as the 1100, and the fun is just begining all over again.
  14. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im not a extreme newbie to sidecars, I ride a GL1100 with an EML without LL, and it handles quite well in the twisties, some folks cant keep up, I guess Im a fast learner or leaner. My GL can cruise at 85 without issues, and get there quickly. Its a great rig, for now, I would just like to go to 1 rig, I would like that to be my GS

15. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have yet to try a bike with the ceramic clutch. I have just heard they do not wear, I wonder if thats true for all the parts(PP and FW).

My GS has 82K on it now, I bought it used in 97 I think it had 30K on it, I have not changed the clutch, and I do not have any clutch issues, yet.

I do expect to do the steering mod.I have the steer rite on my GL and it made a hell of a difference. Car rim on the back also sounds good as I would like to run a car tire just for the wear issues.

16. davebig

Oddometer:
    I started with a gl1100 ural, I almost wish I had kept it also, not enough ground clearance. Twintwin helped me with a steering mod it works well and I think its a better option than a lower triple clamp change.In a little shameless self promo a welder buddy and I have done this twice and will be doing it for another inmate shortly http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786238
    I changed out my clutch at 82 k it was fine but the bike was coming apart anyway, but I would do the 37/11 before I changed the clutch unless it was slipping, the ceramics are too much money.DB
  17. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I like the GL1100 combo. ground clearance is and issue. The other is the low power charging system of the old gold wings, 300 watts@ 2500 rpm is not enough for me when I travel,(heated jacket,heated grips, GPS, stereo, ipad charger, headlight,) not that Ive ever had a problem, its just always on my mind and I try not to use everything at once which can be tough in the mountians when its cold, and I would like more lighting. I already have the GS, I know it well, It runs great, and it deserves to on the road (as a tug)

18. davebig

Oddometer:
    That stuff can be smoothed out I put a lrg optima battery in the Urals trunk, added Piaas to the front bumper and got a relay circuit from easternbeaver.com so that the headlight always got batttery voltage (much brighter) steel brake lines and drilled my rotors myself walla brakes as good as my BMW.It was an unfaired 83 with the cast wheels shoulda kept it as it was a fun learning machine, wasn't that wild about the OD 5th I needed to use it less.DB
    [​IMG]
  19. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. jeffygs

jeffygs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been thinking about that mod for a year now, lots of opinions about the pulley on the cranks and the alt pulley, nobody seems to agree, poboys got a mod but Im not impressed, I would do this mod if I keep my GL instead of converting my GS