Trail Tech Voyager - Interesting GPS Speedo!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Yellow Pig, Oct 22, 2010.

1. DmsFab

DmsFab Banned

Oddometer:

This is what I thought. I was trying to see if the google earth view showed up on the screen of the gps(IE: terrain maps) From what I saw in the instruction manual, you're right. It is just a bunch of random lines on the screen! Maybe a future update will give a better screen veiw!
  2. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Cool product. Kudos to the developers.

The pressure on Garmin continues.
  3. fstclyz

fstclyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd certainly like to try one but would like some more feedback from guys that have one.

CD
  4. sashapave

sashapave riders on the strom

Oddometer:
    Big thanks to Trail Tech for investing in this space. It makes sense and this is a very full-featured product for a version 1.0. Plus the price-point is just right.

For some people a product will never be enough to suit all their needs, and some are more polite than others in expressing this.

Trail Tech products fill a very important niche for me: Stators, lighting, bike-specific parts. In many areas there is nobody else putting out similar products, and for that I'm thankful. Keep up the great work!
  5. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Voyager looks to be almost perfect for what I want. Two of us are doing the TAT this summer, then going north on the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route, and the Washington Back Country Discovery Route. Both have gpx files available. For the TAT, the cumulative mileage is shown on the roll charts, and Voyager has a new feature, according to the conversation I had with them yesterday, that allows stopping the trip meter when you leave the trail to get gas, a motel, etc., then restart it when you hit the trail again. No mental arithmatic with the trip numbers. It doesn't "give directions" like a Garmin, but you can zoom into the trail and that should be plenty to keep us on course. We'll have a Garmin along too and that will provide topo if we need it. 'Sounds like a great unit, provides a tach which is nice, and I bought one! Plus, it's the same or less than, or the same as, a used 60Csx and a quality mount. I really like that is's Made in America too. With luck, the makers have provided for the ability to upgrade the software when and if new features become available due to user input from this forum and others.
  6. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Anyone else care to share some first hand experience with the Voyager? Thinking of pulling the trigger...
  7. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have a Voyager installed on my Husaberg. I think it is perfect for what it is designed for. The "physical" connection to the bike via the wheel and engine sensor makes it much more versatile than any moto-designed GPS on the market. The GPS functions are basic but useful. It handles .gpx tracks and routes very easily via the micro SD card. The capacity for track and route storage is excellent too. It is loaded with other useful features, such as a tachometer, permanent hour meter. etc. It reads ambient temperature, engine temperature, and tons of other useful measurements.

This is not your wife's NUVI, and it is not a ZUMO with the cute little motorcycle icon pointing the way. If that is what you want, the Voyager is not the unit for you. If you want to record and download your rides, download and follow .gpx tracks/routes, and at the same time have a functioning moto-odometer plus, this is a great choice. It also downloads and records waypoints, has a compass function, etc.

The Husaberg FX comes with nothing as far as odo, hour meter, etc. I went from nothing to everything I need plus a lot more. I think Trailtech has a huge winner here. Everyone has been wanting a moto-specific GPS--here it is.
  8. Trailtech

Trailtech n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is a video of a process for making maps to use on Voyager:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jdFeVCe6UGg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jdFeVCe6UGg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

This same process can be used to make maps of off-road areas. We used a similar process for an Open-Expert Baja 1000 team. Ride Leader is useful for cleaning up the data taken from openstreetmap.org.

Be aware, I am a Trail Tech employee.
  9. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    I'd like to understand how to prepare that GPX file on the Computer.
  10. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Looks good to me. But as said before. I don't get a GPS to tell me when I turn left or right.
  11. 98940

98940 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any newer/recent feedback on this thing? :ear
  12. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have some downloadable software on their site to edit GPX files and display them in what looks like a very basic way. As for making them without riding probably draw them in GoogleEarth might be the easiest way if you don't have any other mapping program like Mapsource or Basecamp. Could use Open Street Map, too, I suppose.
  13. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
  14. turbinetech2

turbinetech2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Voyager and it seems to have been out for a couple of months now. I ride mostly in upper SC and lower NC with a TAT trip in the next year or two. Looks like it will serve the purpose I'm looking for in a replacement speedo for my DR with 31K miles on it. I was looking in to options for a GPS and this would be great if it fits both requirements. Anybody converted the rollmaps for the TAT to work on the Voyager yet? If so, when are you riding the trail?
  15. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed it but after reading through this thread I did not see the questions answered......

• What is the base map in the unit?
    • Are updates available for the base map?
    Thanks,

Jon...
  16. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The unit does not have a base map. It's up to the user to add whatever GPS data they want in the unit. You can record your tracks to create your own data.
  17. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I did not ask the question correctly.

What I'm wondering is if the user has not loaded any .gpx data into the unit does it come out of the box with roads and other stuff? I can't imagine it would be a blank screen with nothing on it when you switch to the GPS screen.

Jon...
  18. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    None.

All the updates you want for life are free. They'll even come to your house (or meet you in the field) to install the updated base maps....:D

From my understanding, the only graphical interface the user gets are the tracks that are loaded into the unit. Which is fine if you're confident in the data and only want to follow those tracks you preload into the unit.
  19. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I believe that the base maps is a road map for the US, but no kind of water, or topo data is in the device.
    It will be good as a data backup device to pair up with your current GPS.
    I'm thinking that I'll buy one later to replace the malfunctioning speedometer on the LC4.
  20. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was wondering.....thanks.

Jon...