Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    I've always had good luck with parts purchased from David Silver Spares. Every order showed up within a week and cost wasn't three times more. Now, buying stuff from Boano in Italy is a different story. They'll only ship by UPS Air.
  2. ferretface

ferretface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep the quality is spot on - I can't tell any difference to the original lens myself.

The only difference that you might find is that it has an clear panel at the bottom for lighting the numberplate and I think the US bikes had a separate light for that (but it's extra gash to remove and will lighten the load!) :evil
  3. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I have a pair of lightly used SIDI Strada EVO rain boots in the flea market, they are stamped 43 but fit like US 8.5, just too small for me..
  4. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

This summer at Vintage Motorcycle days in Ohio, David Silver was there at a booth and they were stating they had a US warehouse.................no mention of this on their web site not that it matters.
  5. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    Jumping in on the praises for the Transalp - these machines are absolutely incredible! While I have much less experience and knowledge about these bikes then most on this thread, I can only say that I am continually impressed. My '89 has taken me and my wife over 25,000 miles throughout the past year and a half (and still going), through hot jungles, over mountains (16,000 ft +), on dirt and on highways with only a few minor complaints. She is happy enough with whatever gas we can find in remote locations. We couldn't have found a better bike for a long tour such as ours.

[​IMG]

The TA at 4900 meters (= 16000 ft) in the Cordillera Blanca, Ancash, Peru. Also, since we're in a mods thread, that sheep now lives on our seat and what an improvement that is over the old Corbin saddle!

Ferretface is also taking advantage of the TA's touring abilities, with great photos and stories posted here:
    http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/
  6. ferretface

ferretface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great photo Mike! Tell me, did you re-jet the carbs for South America? Mine doesn't like anything above around 3000 metres and feels pretty wheezy - still pulls along though!
  7. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    In the flea market

[​IMG]
  8. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Totally agree...hard if not impossible to find a better all rounder.....enjoying your post and this excellent thread..

+1 Superb photo :clap
    Ride safe.

Cheers
    Potski :freaky
  9. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Cusustewy, I think it's safe to say your photo has us all day dreaming for such a adventure ride, sadly for most of us it is never going to happen.

Great reminder of what this bike can do.
  10. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan - I did the slow jet mod (to 0.040), but didn't change the main. I have not shimmed the needle position (per Ladder106's comments), which I still consider doing. And I do get the same sensation that you do - at those higher elevations she is gasping a bit, but keeps moving along just fine. On many of the 4000+ meter roads, we've been on dirt and switchbacks, so haven't needed much more. But recently following Radioman riding solo on his F800GS the lack of power was more noticeable (and he's just too darn polite to say anything about it).

Potski - glad you enjoyed the photo, too! And you bet that all around the TA is tops.

Hi mas335 - I know it is a challenge to work a lengthy ride into anyone's life. But I know that you all appreciate just how capable these machines are, and a nice pic for some day dreaming inspiration never hurts, right?

I have a lot more confidence in taking a trip like this because of all the information already posted in this forum, and because of the strong community resource for troubleshooting. It's fantastic!
  11. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a lot more confidence in taking a trip like this because of all the information already posted in this forum, and because of the strong community resource for troubleshooting. It's fantastic![/QUOTE]

+1 !!!
  12. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am lucky in that I can afford any bike on the market. But, I chose a Honda Transalp. My Transalp will do everything the R1200GSA, Yamaha Tenerre, KTM 990ADV, etc will do except it is a lot more reliable. It is not as fast or as cool some might say. The TA is, infact, ULTRA COOL when I pull into a gas station or a cafe. In reality, I can repair anything on the TA in a ditch if need be where the others will have to hire a service to airlift the big bike to a dealer repair shop. I do most of my long haul adventure type ride solo and am quite comfortable in extremly remote places in North America.

As far as preformance goes, the TA is suprisingly nimble and will stay with the best of them in the twistys. I ride this bike doing MSF experienced class demos and I suprise most of the students how I can ride this in tight circles and from side to side. A great bike. The only downside for me is fuel capacity so I carry 3 gal,s extra fuel. I'm thinking of installing a large 35l tank.

Dudley
  13. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Csustewy..can't you take a hint..:D:D:D .How about we see that superb photo on "Show us your best Transalp photos" below :D:wink:

Ride safe

Cheers
    Potski :freaky
  14. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any tall riders out there fit a taller set of handlebars on their Alp? I know Ladder's lowered his pegs, but I kind of like where they are but am still hanging on while standing because the bars are just too low and close to my body. Been wondering about my options lately.
  15. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    The PO fitted these to the bike, which I quite liked. I was always comfortable standing on the bike, though I'm only 5'10" so I'm not a tall rider.

[​IMG]

I believe they are "Renthal 110cc Playbike" Bars, but there are ATV bars that have about the same dimensions.
  16. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    Ha! I respond best to these 'subtle' hints... Thanks for the reminder.

Take care, my friend.
    Mike
  17. Dekatria

Dekatria Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I need a few suggestions on a new rear tire for my '99 Alp. Currently it has Anakees on it and they're fine for commuting, but when it comes to riding loaded on a trip, they seem to wear pretty easily, especially in the rear. My last rear tire did 8000km of which 3500 were loaded, and it was worn right down to the legal limit.

With my upcoming 7000km trip this summer, I'm looking for a better option. Anyone got ideas?
  18. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've gotten great mileage out of Tourances. I never ran them on the Transalp, but my strom got 10,000 miles out of the last rear.
  19. ferretface

ferretface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just moved from Anakee's to Tourances and gotta admit that I prefer the handling of the Anakee's on the Transalp. With the Tourances, the tracking on rain grooves seems really noticeable but the wear rate is brilliant after running them for 5000kms and still less than half worn.
  20. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Avon Distanza great tire