The Montesa Cota 4RT Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Johnnyboxer, Apr 2, 2010.

1. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Agreed!! :deal
  2. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  3. Kevin C

Kevin C XTZ 750

Oddometer:
    Those two are sisters, Kerry is married to Geoff Aaron
  4. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uh, we knew that already.
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Yeah. Lucky Geoff......:tb

Both are very nice and will talk to you. Heck, they let a fatass beer drinking poser photograph them at the National. Kerry had their kid there and the little one was VERY happy when the Pro's rode through the sections they were spectating!
  6. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish she was married to me.....................seems like the ideal lady for any man who rides bikes
  7. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy to ride like them
  8. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

She has a kid?! She only looks sixteen herself! :huh
  9. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now ready to Trial...........................1st Trial in 2 years.......................... tonight!!

Plenty of Carbon added.......................I think it looks trick:D - whilst protecting some 'rock' vulnerable parts of the frame/swing-arm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    Keep the pictures coming....great thread about one of my favorite trials bikes...I had a 247 Cota back in the 70's
  11. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is on the end of the exhaust? Is it a spark arrestor or a sound reducer? If it is a sound reducer, how well does it work?
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    That is the stock 4RT tailpipe restrictor. There are three restrictors: One in the headpipe at the cylinder head, one in the midpipe where the headpipe meets the muffler, and the tail restrictor. Remove these, and the power comes up significantly! :thumb
  13. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Europe, I don't know if is a Spark Arrestor.............but I guess it is

It certainly is a noise reducer and is held in by a cap bolt

The bike is quieter and i think it aids back pressure, which would maybe boost or maintain torque, no doubt
  14. LowPSI

LowPSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Removing the first 2 restrictors is a good idea.

Removing the final one is a bad idea, unless you replace it with a spark arrestor.

Noise goes way up and power is only increased by tiny bit at full throttle. There is no low end improvement.

Most folks replace the final one with a spark arrestor and that also serves to keep the noise down.

Johnny B, the stock end cap is not a USFS spark arrestor, spark arrestors are required in most US western states and the most popular type are the "screen type"
  15. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Trial went well last night..................3 laps of 7 sections

Managed a few 'cleans' on 1st lap and in the more difficult sections, my scores got better each lap and I even managed to 'clean' one of the hardest sections on Lap 3........................so happy days

Need to get fitter, though............................the bike was perfect though:D
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I never noticed much change in noise with or without the spark arrestor on mine. Of course most of our riding areas here in Not-So-New Mexico are above 5000 feet, with the Haystack Mountain (more of a hill, really) riding area east of Roswell being the lowest at approx. 3600 feet. The air is pretty thin here. I did notice the 4RT's running at the National in Oklahoma (at 700 feet of elevation) had a SERIOUS bark to them without the spark arrestors (weren't required-private land) and the one that had an arrestor was still pretty roarty. I regret not taking mine just to see how it would run at low elevation. :bluduh

BTW, congrats Johnnyboxer! Hooked yet? :deal
  17. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is an '07 with a stock pipe. The '07 pipe is different from earlier yrs. It doesn't have the end restrictor as shown in the pic. Does anyone know whether the end restrictor from an earlier yr will work on an '07 pipe? My bike isn't loud, but, I'd like it to be as quiet as possible for backyard practice. BTW, I have a spark arrestor for it. But, it doesn't seem to make the bike significantly quieter.
  18. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend's new 4RT.
    Whoops....traction control is turned off! :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BigRedRockEater likes this.
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I just got my latest issue of Trials and Enduro News yesterday. I found this article in the "pit pass" column:

The Japanese Trial Grand Prix at Motegi welcomed a very special guest. Mr. Takanobu Ito, Chief Executive Officer of Honda Motor, was an interested visitor at the Motegi World Trials. Mr. Ito spent some time with the Repsol Montesa team and enjoyed the opportunity to speak with current FIM Trial World Champion Toni Bou and his Japanese teammate Takahisa Fujimani. Mr. Ito confirmed that a new trial model was in the works and confirmed hes desire to renew the contract with current World Champion Toni Bou.

In the photo below, Montesa Team Manager Miguel Cirera watches as his boss Honda CEO Mr. Ito takes the Montesa for a spin in the pits at the Japanese World round at the Twin Ring Motegi circuit.

[​IMG]
  20. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

Bring it back to the states!! :thumb