Note to self:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coppertop, Oct 30, 2008.

1. EastEnd

EastEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is precisely why i pull the strings out of every hooded sweatshirt i buy, got one end caught in the fan belt of my old truck, it yanked out smoothly, but the pucker factor was still a 4.0:eek1
  2. 42

42 Bokononist

Oddometer:
    When changing the timing belt on your Pathfinder, make sure you put the shortest bolt in the bottom of the lower belt cover. Unless you like ripping the whole thing apart again. :bluduh

[​IMG]
  3. ADVMindset

ADVMindset Americana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "When welding the frame of your bike, remember the rod will strike an arc on ANY metal part of the bike directly connected to the frame.
    Including the inner tube of your front fork, leaving a nice little crater!

Changing fork seals are now a part of every 5000 km service"

That's one HELLUVA of a first post !

Now be ready to have some ornery comments made ! But it's all fun !

Sorry to hear about your tube....:lol3

Welcome to the asylum !!!
  4. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a similar experience but with oil.. Forgot to put the oil cap back on after filling and was on the interstate before I realized what happened. What tipped me off was the difference in the way my jeans were flapping in the wind :lol3
  5. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    I am surprised that the inmates have not advised this guy how to save his fork seals?
    Here's my suggestion: Get a hard and very fine stone to hand work over the fork tube nick and knock off all the high spots. Fill the crater with epoxy and stone that down flush. Now the fork seal has something to glide over without getting nicked up. If the tube still pushes a lot of oil, the bushing is probably scratched/gouged. Hope that helps. Others can chime in with better stuff.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    Learned this one from 100 yards away today.

Note to self;

Do not take an old single axle pop-up camper and convert it into a flat bed trailer. Do not place two garbage dumpsters on trailer. Do not fill dumpsters with scrap iron. And most definitely do not pull the whole works behind your mid-90's Toyota 4Runner at 65 mph down a counrty highway!!!!

I tried to get a picture after I made sure he was OK, but it didn't turn out.

Let's just say; High speed wobble, near roll over, jack-knife, 3 or 4 broken windows, ditch, bent to hell front suspension and a shit ton of iron tossed into the ditch.
  7. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    And this is why there should be a requirement for a towing endorsement on one's license, as well as inspections for trailers.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I got the picture, I can see it now, WOW would you look at that. I can't believe the mess. He appears alright, OK. WOW would you look at that...
  9. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    When you are packing up your gear for a nice 3 day get away with 150 other inmates, make sure to check your gear bag to verify that your riding boots are in there. :huh You can skip this step if you wear a size 9 - 12 siz shoe. 13+ Not so good.

Thankfully the store in town 70 miles away had 1 pair. So now I have a spare pair of boots (Tech 3's). I will have to say that the Honda shop in Ridgecrest CA (I don't remember the name) didn't bend me over when he heard I forgot the boots. :clap He was actually simpathetic that he didn't have anything cheaper.
  10. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note to self: be careful when waxing horizontal band saw blades. I did this today at work. Cut straight through one tendon, mostly through another. It'll be a badass scar/story though :rofl

[​IMG]
  11. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    :eek1
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Fixt! :lol3

Jim :brow
  13. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, badass scar, dumbass story :D
  14. blakey

blakey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When putting the cylinder head back on a Yamaha 100 trail bike, make sure you know the difference between inch pounds and foot pounds.

When replacing fork oil in the above mentioned bike, make sure you know the difference between ATF and brake fluid.
  15. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll bet it stops really well.:lol3
  16. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When torqueing the flywheel on an 1980 something Husky on its taper with a left hand thread make sure that the aforementioned torque wrench works on left hand threads (click type). Otherwise it's an expensive split on the flywheel. Luckily 1 litre of Red Heart rum to a local hoarder of all things Husky rectified the matter (thanks Mike). Stupid is as stupid does.
  17. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Eiiish Red Heart Rum, you is in Darkest Efrika:D
  18. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    There are torque wrenches that work in only one direction?
  19. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: