Tiger 955i - Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by BHRBiker, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love El Tigre the war wagon. She conquered the Dempster last weekend after D2D.

[​IMG]
  2. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Great picture above, congrats on the El Tigre making it with claws still sharp for more!

Are the gas tanks fiberglass or plastic on our 955s?

If I want to paint mine, can I use paint for plastic?

Thanks!
  3. mustang

mustang Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    plastic, white nylon to be exact . Made by Acerbis.
  4. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:
    Roger that sir!
    Am I foolish to think that Krylon Fusion paint made for plastic would work on my tank? :evil
  5. mustang

mustang Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I know of a few that have been rattle canned with fusion . seems to work well .
  6. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Hatley Rocket

Hatley Rocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what I had done or done wrong on putting it back together to cause it. About three heat cycles sounds about right, to the point I noticed it was off. At leat now I know it's not some nagging issue.

Side point, I've sat on the 800 and 1200 tigers, I felt the 800 was light, comfy and really looked the part. The 1200 had more weight, way less ground clearance, and overall just looked pudgy compared to the 800. I've no miles on either, I'm sure they both fit the bill for what they are.
  8. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
  9. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    The 1200 is the natural successor to the 955i. Same weight, more power, more gadgets, even the same wheel sizes.. If you want to any semi-serious dirt, get the 800. Either model will do it but obviously the XC is better off tarmac.
  10. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:
    Don't forget about the Explorer XC...which is a little more off road worthy than the standard TEX...:evil

Well, it's all relative...this is what I'm waiting on, to see the white and possibly orange colors.
  11. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Only if you think that spoked wheels makes it more dirt worthy. I don't, as other than that, the 1200XC is exactly the same as the std. one.
  12. TIGERRIDER007

Oddometer:
    I do a little bit, for those who push the off road envelope, cast wheels vs. spoked wheels means piece of mind. A little more flex in case you take an unexpected hit to a wheel.
    I understand, it's not a night and day thing though, you're right...just a plus in the column of "off road" accessories for the Explorer. :D
  13. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sat on a Tiger Xplorer XC, and if felt a lot heavier coming off the side stand than my 06 955i. As far as the wheels, my cast wheels survived the Dempster which is about as serious as I'll get with El Tigre. Anything more serious I call on the KLR. I would have to ride the new Xplorer XC to really compare the two though.
  14. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Come on! Be honest. Who's going to be pushing the off road envelope on a 1200?
    Anyway, my mate did OK in Sardinia last year on his cast wheels. I would also imagine and hope that they're a little more robust than the normal road/racing cast wheels. I hope so because I've bought a second hand roadie wheel for my 800XC so that I can go tubeless in the rear.
  15. Hatley Rocket

Oddometer:
    Ok,

Tiger 955i 475 pounds, 800 473 pounds, TEX 570 pounds. The 1200 weight approximately 20% more as the 955i. Not that I want to argue about it. The tiger explorer is not the bike for me, I think I'm more of an 800XC fan. That being said....

I ordered a cortech super mini strap mount tank bag. I've seen it on a few girlies, and liked the fit. Mine, however came with four female ended buckle loops, and not what I think it should have come with. I've had this over a month sitting in the plastic bag, and just since putting my tiger back together, I've found this problem. So, can you guys take a picture and show me what the mounts are supposed to look like, and where you have them attached on yer tigers? I'm off the the fabric store to see about getting some nylon straps, and male buckle ends, and I hope I can find a match, and I'll make my own. Here is what I got.

[​IMG]

The buckles are both female ends, and different sizes. I think they included the wrong strap/attachment pack.

[​IMG]

T
  16. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    You've compared the dry weight of the 955 with the wet weight of the others. i.e. dry weight of 955 = 215Kgs, wet weight of 800XC = 215Kgs. Both in their respective handbooks. I know because I own both still. So, when you add all the fluids to the 955 it weighs much the same as the 1200TEX.

Can't help with your tankbag other than to say; I agree that it looks wrong.
  17. ArchRider

ArchRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can add to this having weighed my Girlie not too long ago. I had only a few things in the hard bags and with both hard bags and the top case on, it weighed in right at 600 lbs (272 Kgs). She's a bit on the heavy side but I love her :ricky (until she decides it's time to nap.:muutt)
  18. Hatley Rocket

Oddometer:
    So I guess I fox newsed the tigers weights. Didn't realize I was comparing wet to dry. Those were the only published weights I had found. I thought it was odd that the tiger 800XC only weighed 3 lbs less than the 955i, but then I attributed that to the technology that the 800 has over the girlie. I have put a sum of 400 miles on my girlie so far, and I loved every minute of it. I need to find a highway peg solution for the thunderbike crashbars, and find out why my left hand grip heater isn't working. I washed it today, and I made my own harness for the tankbag. I'm really enjoying it so far. Much like the vstrom, but with a little more, flair?

T
  19. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    only issues ive had with my 01 is I always have a antifreeze burning smell but no viseable leaks or burning found in engine .. super dim dash lights and barley viseable headlights for our Alaskan roads ..

motor and suspension have been rock solid for 35k miles .. I think ill be testing ou some risers for better seating position on gravel roads but she wont be going anywhere soon ..
  20. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL im doing same with my bars I think im going to weld some steel strap to the bars and push pegs forward a bit only thing im afraid of is how wide it may get ... those dang bars stick out a long ways ..and im a short Frenchman! im 6 ft tall but no in seam lol