Utards whos riding what

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by frog, May 22, 2008.

1. Ryman

Ryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea. Where the hell is Copper Canyon?? Do you have gpx of your trip??

Dude you got a great tan while you were down there. I hardly recognize you! :lol3
  2. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    What's in it for us?
  3. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Now you just need to give the bike to someone that can actually ride it that long.

Tell your wife thanks for the cookies and milk the other day. She rode it fine;)
  4. Ryman

Ryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come along and we'll find out who has the wet noodle. :D
  5. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    XR with seat tank has 400+ mile range. I guess you will still fall short.

Off topic.......stopped buy and lusted over a new 690 at the Ktm shop. Oohlala.
    They have shop rags to whipe off the drool.
  6. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    I'll start messing around with this and I think I can do a better job feathering the clutch. The issue here (at least I think it's the issue) was also the steep climb combined with the super technical and just getting going once stalled in a technical section in a climb. The bike definitely has noticeable torque for sure, but it wasn't enough to get up to the top of the really technical areas of this climb, for me at least. You basically start in AF and end up west of Snowbird in just a few miles, so it is pretty steep.

This said I want to get out with some of guys at some point who know their XRRs to see how other guys are riding them and to start figuring out things like gearing. I have ridden stuff as difficult as the boulder field you posted so far, with some difficulty of course, but me and the bike got through fairly quickly which I thought was awesome and when I was really really liking the XRR versus something like an older KLR, with its power and how awesome it is in tough terrain. But I also realize where a smaller bike all of a sudden becomes much more of an advantage. I also started thinking about how much of a nightmare even a slightly heavier bike would be. The only other bike I have any time on, really ever, is a 1200GS, so the XRR is a big change for me.

I am a novice but am feeling really good on the bike with about 100 miles on it so far total. I think being really into tough terrain mountain biking and having experience off roading is helping as well. I've had plenty of tough stalls in tough situations, a couple near bails, but in all feel pretty good on it and am super psyched...
  7. Ryman

Ryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect. You can carry some extra fuel for me. :D

Really....I'm not kidding. Hey can I strap my sandals on your bike too??
  8. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:

:nod

Keep finding what works for you....and it will be different solutions somewhat based on your size and experience.....I've used gearing ranging from 14/55 to 14/51 to 14/48 (which is often stock) and 15/48....I've even got a 13T if you want to try it for a mountain goat climb......check trackhead for jetting, main and pilot, I think there was a great discussion in the XR650 thread and lots in the XR thread in Thumpers...
  9. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you might need them when you run out of gas.
  10. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be happy to mingle with the Orange crowd. Any other of you
    KTM butt sniffers want to mingle with your own? Just like you all have
    so kindly reminded us "Other colors are welcome too". We may just have
    to eat at our own kiddie table.:D

I can lend you a bike and make it a dinner ride if needed.

Where are you at Hick?
  12. Roostre

Roostre Disco

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

Just got back from a great ride in the Oquirhhs with ADV crew, the I swung into the DMV for a new plate, as mine had broken off at the first sign of dirt.

Ryman, how did you end up mounting your plate so it would stay on?
  13. Ryman

Ryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wrapped it around the stock piece of plastic like a tin can and punched holes through the side where the pate holes lined up. Dosen't look to pretty but I haven't lost it yet.
  14. Roostre

Roostre Disco

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think I saw that in one of your photos...

I'm thinking if I can take that big ass brake light off and replace it with a slimmer, brighter LED style it just might get me the clearance required to avoid platectomy. I have a universal LED blinker and plate mount all ready to go...thanks.
  15. Ryman

Ryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO the stock tail light is awsome. It is way brighter than those flimsy BD LED things and the way it integrates with the tank and fender is the best setup I've ever seen.
  16. ScottG

ScottG Razor Sharp

Oddometer:
    So I took a solo 871 mile ride(about 550-600miles of dirt) over the Labor Day weekend on my new to me F800GS. I camped out Friday and Saturday nights and stayed at a freinds house in Milford Sunday night. Had a great time, here's some of the pictures.

Loaded up and ready to go
    [​IMG]
    Took BCC to Guardmans to timberlakes to Current Creek Friday afternoon, this is above Tiimberlakes on the way down to Current Creek.
    [​IMG]
    Current Creek Res.
    [​IMG]
    Camp Friday night next to the river.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Morning at Strawberry Pinnacles
    [​IMG]
    The Plan was to to take Timber Canyon South to Tabbyune creek and down to US-6 just east of Soilder Summit.
    [​IMG]
    This is Tabbyune Creek rd I got really excited riding this one pretty much an ATV trail until I get about 2-3 miles from US-6 and there is a locked gate that there is no way to get around. I was so mad I didn't take any pictures. I back tracked to Timber Canyon Rd and took it to US 6 which added about 1 extra hour to my morning.
    [​IMG]
    Hopped on Skyline Dr and took it to Fairview Canyon.
    [​IMG]
    From there took HWY31 to Huntington res and turned down Miller Flat Rd. Here area some lake along the way. This is the valley road east of Skyline Dr.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From this res I took the Orangeville/Eprhraim Rd back upto Skyline Dr.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is just south of the Manti Canyon rd on Skyline
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Going down these switchbacks I lost both headlight bolts some where and had to unplug it put it in the tank bag and head for Salina to try and find some bolts before everything shut down fior the day. I got to the NAPA store 15min before they closed. I was in a hurry so no pictures of the bouncing head light.
    From Salina I headed east up I-70 for about six miles to Gooseberry Creek where i would find a campin spot near Salina Res.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is staring to get long and my attention span is dwindling. So I'll wrap it up.
    [​IMG]
    Dixie National Forest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's all the pictures. I didn't take any from Antimony to Beaver via FR153 but should have that was a fun road.

If I can figure out how to transfer GPS(garmin rino 120) tracks to my computer I'll have them for anyone that is interested.
  17. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. Like the 800gs.

We had a good ride this am/afternoon in the Oquirrhs! 5 of us in total. 3 xrrs, 1 690R and a Cannondale. Kev has more pics and some video. Thankfully no one went down..hard that is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap That all looks very fun. I don't have a clue where it's all at. Looks like I need to get out more.
  19. GISkev

GISkev wwfsmd?

Oddometer:
    fun stuff, pics later
    Oquirrhs.jpg

Thanks for the tour MichaelAngelo!
  20. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any reasonably priced ideas?